Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After what time has passed would you consider an FSD class action lawsuit?

When would you consider initiating/joining a class action lawsuit for Tesla failure to deliver FSD?

• Already enquiring with/engaging legal services

Votes: 28 6.3%
  • End of 2021

Votes: 101 22.8%
  • End of 2022

Votes: 80 18.1%
  • 2023 - 2025

Votes: 48 10.8%
  • 2025 - 2030

Votes: 21 4.7%
  • After 2030

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Never

Votes: 140 31.6%
  • Other - see comments

Votes: 14 3.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you crash into a rental car, they charge you lost rent on that car until it is repaired and can be rented again. Why? You just said this isn't damages you can collect for because it wasn't part of the purchase price of the car.
You're making out damages to be a lot more cut and dry than they are. It's why we have a legal system and judges, to determine what appropriate damages are.
Yep, its all costs related with the loss, both material & immaterial (hence why abuse survivors are currently taking the catholic church to the cleaners). It’s why the more simplistic thinkers fail to grasp that it can (& probably does) go beyond simply an FSD cost refund

If you crash into a rental car, they charge you lost rent on that car until it is repaired and can be rented again. Why? You just said this isn't damages you can collect for because it wasn't part of the purchase price of the car.
Nope. You are generally not responsible for consequentual damages, and it doesn't apply here anyway. You don't have a robotaxi company and you're not missing any profits as a result of not having FSD.

You're making out damages to be a lot more cut and dry than they are. It's why we have a legal system and judges, to determine what appropriate damages are.
In cases like this damages are pretty cut-and-dry.

I just got my LR y 2 weeks ago. I’ve put about 900 miles. Every time I test the FSD it seems to respond properly but I constantly feel that as other cars approach from opposite direction, it seems like it zeroing in on a target. For a few seconds I feel like we are
Going to have a head on, and then it recovers. It terrifying. I always feel like it drives to close to center line too. Has anyone else noticed this? I just retired and spent nearly 70,000 wit tax, etc. I was so sure this was a great idea, now I’m extremely worried I’ve made a life changing (or life ending) mistake.

Welcome to the Tesla family!

You are not alone. I had some really bad experiences with AP too in the beginning. I had serious phantom braking on my very first drive home from the delivery center. It does take time to learn what AP is good at and what it is not good at. Once you understand its strengths and weaknesses, AP is a great driver assist. Tesla does improve the software over time with over-the-air updates. I can tell you AP is light years better now than it was when I got my car in 2018. Now, I love AP and always use it. When used correctly, AP can make driving less tiring and more convenient. And the car itself is great. You did not make a mistake buying it. My advice though is to always pay attention to the road and always keep your hands on or near the wheel and ready to take over. What Tesla calls "FSD" is not actually autonomous. It is a driver assist. When you understand that, you will be fine.

There are enough weasel words in the original contract and on the website that it would be tough for a class action to proceed. Features will continue to be added over time and it was clearly stated what features you’d get when you bought it. I suspect that the only legal action that might have a chance of succeeding would be a claim of deceptive trade practices or false advertising from the FTC.

Reactions: DanCar
I don’t think the litigants in Anderson, et al. v. Pacific Gas & Electric over hexavalent chromium poisoning, handled by Erin Brokovich, had deep pockets either
They weren’t suing to recover a portion of $5k to 10k of spend. Lol. There’s a lot more money on the line for lawyers to grab when a big company causes people to get sick and die from cancer than someone that got snookered into buying vaporware. They might take on a class action, but it will be by the hour for an individual case.

There are enough weasel words in the original contract and on the website that it would be tough for a class action to proceed. Features will continue to be added over time and it was clearly stated what features you’d get when you bought it. I suspect that the only legal action that might have a chance of succeeding would be a claim of deceptive trade practices or false advertising from the FTC.
Can someone post the "contract" from 2016 that supposedly has weasel words when someone bought FSD? I've never seen it.
We need to decide if the website is allowed to be used- we can't keep pinging back and forth when it suits one point of view. The website absolutely said "all cars Tesla makes have the hardware needed for FSD." Well, we know that to not be true since Mid 2017, and as of a few weeks ago Tesla is forcing and charging people to upgrade to HW3 as part of an MCU1 upgrade, so now there are damages to that misrepresentation even for people that did not buy FSD.
Of course, the website also says all cars come with rain sensing wipers which wasn't true from 2016-2018. and now the ones we have are "beta".- did the website have the right weasel words for stuff like that?

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
From the Internet Archive, November 8, 2016: "All Tesla vehicles produced in our factory, including Model 3, have the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver."

April 2019: "
Autopilot is an advanced driver assistance system that enhances safety and convenience behind the wheel. When used properly, Autopilot reduces your overall workload as a driver. 8 external cameras, a radar, 12 ultrasonic sensors and a powerful onboard computer provide an additional layer of safety to guide you on your journey. Cars built between September 2014 and October 2016 include one camera and less-powerful radar and ultrasonic sensors.

Autopilot is intended for use with a fully attentive driver, who has their hands on the wheel and is prepared to take over at any time. While Autopilot is designed to become more capable over time, in its current form, it is not a self-driving system. There are five levels of automation and Autopilot is currently classified as a Level 2 automated system according to SAE J3016, which is endorsed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration."

Other fun historical things that show them learning about weaseling out on dates, but that for early cars, they DID have dates listed that they totally missed:

Tesla.com/autopliot on Oct 20th, 2016:
"Tesla’s Enhanced Autopilot software is expected to complete validation and be rolled out to your car via an over-the-air update in December 2016, subject to regulatory approval." (Was deep into 2018 before that was close to true)

"These active safety technologies, including collision avoidance and automatic emergency braking, will become available in December 2016 and roll out through over-the-air software updates" Note this says WILL come out in 2016. It was late 2017 when they came out. On Jan 1st 2017 they removed the date and said "it has begun rolling out." (one of the features, to alpha testers)

And of course, the FSD description:

"All you will need to do is get in and tell your car where to go. If you don’t say anything, the car will look at your calendar and take you there as the assumed destination or just home if nothing is on the calendar. Your Tesla will figure out the optimal route, navigate urban streets (even without lane markings), manage complex intersections with traffic lights, stop signs and roundabouts, and handle densely packed freeways with cars moving at high speed. When you arrive at your destination, simply step out at the entrance and your car will enter park seek mode, automatically search for a spot and park itself. A tap on your phone summons it back to you."

Other fun historical things that show them learning about weaseling out on dates, but that for early cars, they DID have dates listed that they totally missed:

Tesla.com/autopliot on Oct 20th, 2016:
"Tesla’s Enhanced Autopilot software is expected to complete validation and be rolled out to your car via an over-the-air update in December 2016, subject to regulatory approval." (Was deep into 2018 before that was close to true)

"These active safety technologies, including collision avoidance and automatic emergency braking, will become available in December 2016 and roll out through over-the-air software updates" Note this says WILL come out in 2016. It was late 2017 when they came out. On Jan 1st 2017 they removed the date and said "it has begun rolling out." (one of the features, to alpha testers)

And of course, the FSD description:

"All you will need to do is get in and tell your car where to go. If you don’t say anything, the car will look at your calendar and take you there as the assumed destination or just home if nothing is on the calendar. Your Tesla will figure out the optimal route, navigate urban streets (even without lane markings), manage complex intersections with traffic lights, stop signs and roundabouts, and handle densely packed freeways with cars moving at high speed. When you arrive at your destination, simply step out at the entrance and your car will enter park seek mode, automatically search for a spot and park itself. A tap on your phone summons it back to you."
Boy reality can be a *beach*, once you step outside an echo chamber

I think most people know what will happen with a class action lawsuit. Lawyers make millions, everyone else gets mailed a $20 check.

The question becomes one of "will it be enough to make Tesla stop with the scamming?"

If so, it's worth it. I've resigned myself to knowing I'm never going to get what I paid for, and I'm never getting my money back. However, if Tesla lost a big enough case to stop selling vaporware and future customers were protected from Elon's chicanery, perhaps that's what is needed.

The problem though is that class action suits rarely hurt enough to matter. If the profits of being a liar exceed the losses of a class action suit… why not continue lying?