Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After what time has passed would you consider an FSD class action lawsuit?

When would you consider initiating/joining a class action lawsuit for Tesla failure to deliver FSD?

• Already enquiring with/engaging legal services

Votes: 28 6.3%
  • End of 2021

Votes: 101 22.8%
  • End of 2022

Votes: 80 18.1%
  • 2023 - 2025

Votes: 48 10.8%
  • 2025 - 2030

Votes: 21 4.7%
  • After 2030

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Never

Votes: 140 31.6%
  • Other - see comments

Votes: 14 3.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I do have a right to the "FSD" that was described during my purchase. I.e. full level-5 autonomy. Tesla will have failed to deliver it by Nov 2.

Nobody promised you full L5 during your purchase. (and certainly not with a Nov 2 deadline).

The purchase agreement doesn't say ANYTHING about what is FSD. Really. Go and read it.

So in this case a reasonable person would think that the description put very conspiciously on the official website, that you have to use to buy the product, is the actual promised feature.

What is currently on the official website says you've already received every available feature today, and that the one remaining one is "coming soon"

Hopefully your lawyer talks you out of using your "a reasonable person would go by what's on the website" argument in court.

Reactions: bhzmark
We don't have a right to even try for a safety score then?

Even after Tesla said we'll have early access to software for buying FSD years ago??

They even put a cool button in my car to "request advanced software." My advanced software is almost a year old now! Lolz
Again, what I opine to be the law is what you're arguing. The judge and/or jury will decide if those constitute contractual obligations. I don't believe any of those, including statements from Elon, are binding.

What the F does "
No, I do have a right to the "FSD" that was described during my purchase. I.e. full level-5 autonomy. Tesla will have failed to deliver it by Nov 2.
Damages in your situation really don't occur till you sell and lose the $ paid for FSD without receiving it. The caveats about validation and the fact that many governments ARE in fact regulating autonomous vehicles make your damages speculative.

Speculative damages are generally not considered by courts for obvious reasons.

My guess is damages, if any, will be what you paid for FSD. Could Tesla remove FSD from your car in the event they return your fee? Fun awaits!

If you are suing to get SAE L5 delivered to you today, you'll be laughed out of court

Reactions: gaspi101
Ignore the clear caveats and lack of specificity on your PURCHASE CONTRACT for FSD.
This actually works in MY favor. There are two ways we're using it:
1. "Reasonable person interpretation" - a normal person would assume that FSD means whatever is described prominently on the freaking main page of the website where they buy a product.
2. Deficient contract - since the contract doesn't actually define what the FSD is, then this clause can be considered deficient. So I'll get my money back since I paid them for nothing.

Reactions: dbldwn02
Nobody promised you full L5 during your purchase. (and certainly not with a Nov 2 deadline).
Tesla actually did promise me just that (in 2018).

What is currently on the official website says you've already received every available feature today, and that the one remaining one is "coming soon"
Whatever *sugar* is on the CURRENT website has no bearings on what they promised me in 2018.

Damages in your situation really don't occur till you sell and lose the $ paid for FSD without receiving it.
Bullshit. Damages have occurred already, since Tesla failed to deliver the contracted functionality.

My guess is damages, if any, will be what you paid for FSD. Could Tesla remove FSD from your car in the event they return your fee? Fun awaits!
Tesla absolutely can technically remove the FSD and leave only the EAP (for which I paid SEPARATELY during the purchase). I have no problems with that.

If you are suing to get SAE L5 delivered to you today, you'll be laughed out of court
I'm suing to get my money back, with reasonable interest. Nothing more.

Once I'm done, I'll publish the claim so that other people can easily file it themselves (in SCC or in arbitration).

**** Tesla and **** its apologists.

Parallel:

You order an iPad on Amazon app and pay with credit card. If they do receive the iPad or it turns out to be something else than you expected, you will ask and receive a full refund.

You order an iPad Mini on Amazon app. It shows that they are out of stock, but expect more soon. You pay with credit card. Amazon only charges the card then they send the iPad. If they are unable to deliver, they apologize and do not charge your card. If the iPad is not received or is not what, you expected will ask and receive a full refund.

You order FSD on Tesla app. You pay with credit card. App days that you have right to cancel for 48h. Tesla takes the payment. CEO tweets that FSD is amazin, but fixing minor issues takes 2 more weeks. You wait and get a new 2 week estimate every 2 weeks. Suddenly, a year or more has passed and even the credit card issuer cannot reverse the charge on card any more.

Problems:

- Money is taken before delivery
- Sliding estimate for delivery
- Return/refund window closes before delivery

Tesla actually did promise me just that (in 2018).

No, it's absolutely NOT what they promised you in 2018.

But if you have something (from the actual sales process, not an elon tweet) claiming you'd get L5 please post it.

Whatever *sugar* is on the CURRENT website has no bearings on what they promised me in 2018.

Then why did you write:

a reasonable person would think that the description put very conspiciously on the official website, that you have to use to buy the product, is the actual promised feature.

Because what's currently on the official website is pretty clearly an L2 product, and one that delivered all of its promised features bar one (city streets, listed as coming soon)

But again, even in 2018, they never promised L5.

You can make a pretty reasonable argument they promised L4 back then though.

Though no version ever promised L5.
This one did: Electric Cars, Solar Panels & Clean Energy Storage | Tesla
No, it's absolutely NOT what they promised you in 2018.
They promised autonomous door-to-door navigation. This is L5.

But if you have something (from the actual sales process, not an elon tweet) claiming you'd get L5 please post it.
Here you go:

All Tesla vehicles have the hardware needed in the future for full self-driving in almost all circumstances, at a safety level we believe will be at least twice as good as the average human driver. The system is designed to be able to conduct short and long distancetrips with no action required by the person in the driver’s seat. For Superchargers that have automatic charge connection enabled, you will not even need to plug in your vehicle.

All you will need to do is get in and tell your car where to go. If you don’t say anything, the car will look at your calendar and take you there as the assumed destination or just home if nothing is on the calendar. Your Tesla will figure out the optimal route, navigate urban streets (even without lane markings), manage complex intersections with traffic lights, stop signs and roundabouts, and handle densely packed freeways with cars moving at high speed. When you arrive at your destination, simply step out at the entrance and your car will enter park seek mode, automatically search for a spot and park itself. A tap on your phone summons it back to you.

This clearly describes an L5 system.

This one did: Electric Cars, Solar Panels & Clean Energy Storage | Tesla

They promised autonomous door-to-door navigation. This is L5.

Here you go:

It does. If you bought while that statement was posted, you have a better chance of winning a case, especially if you've disposed of the Tesla without ever receiving the "promised" functionality. A better chance doesn't mean a sure-fire win, BTW.

Did you read this part ?

Please note that Self-Driving functionality is dependent upon extensive software validation and regulatory approval, which may vary widely by jurisdiction. It is not possible to know exactly when each element of the functionality described above will be available, as this is highly dependent on local regulatory approval.

o_O

Get your lawyer to describe an articulable claim to you. "Interest-free loan" does not constitute damages. And sure, let's add the bank rate 0.01% annual interest to your damages.

SMH.

Right, the loan concept isn’t even damages.

First of all, when they did away with Extended AutoPilot as a thing you could buy, the only way you could get summon, autopark, lane change, Nav on AP, stop lights, etc. was to buy the FSD package.

So most of what you got when you paid for FSD, you got right away as that additional currently implemented functionality. This is a simple fact that seems lost on most people complaining.

Second, for the still to come city driving FSD functionality, I see that as essentially a Kickstarter type purchase — I locked in a certain price so that even when it is delivered, and if the price goes up, I have only paid the earlier agreed price. But no promises on timing, or on what future price increase (that I avoided) might be.

There is plenty of stuff from Kickstarter that I am still waiting for — but I knew what I was doing at the time and made a choice to trade current money for the prospect of getting some cool tech at some uncertain time in the future at a set price, regardless of what the price might be when it finally comes out.

Reactions: mark95476