Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After wife drove car I got in but her profile settings were still in effect. Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We each set up our driver profiles and I assume that if I got into the car to drive it after her at that the seat, mirror, and all other settings word revert back to my profile. Is this may be something that the standard plus model doesn’t do?

How do you expect the car to know who is driving it? We both have our phones set up as keys so if we are driving together there is no way for the car to know who is the driver and who is the passenger. Even when driving by myself the car doesn’t recognize the difference between our phones. They are both just keys.

We each set up our driver profiles and I assume that if I got into the car to drive it after her at that the seat, mirror, and all other settings word revert back to my profile. Is this may be something that the standard plus model doesn’t do?

No, none of the Tesla's auto-update profiles to the driver.
Manual selection required. It's a bit of a PITA, but not too bad.

You would need to buy a BMW or a Lexus to get those features.
:p

The car can't detect who is driving nor does it rely on phone key proximity to the driver side to make any profile changes.

The driver profile will have to be changed manually from the MCU.

Exactly.
Tesla could detect whose phone is used to unlock the car (usually there is only one) and default to that phone owner's vehicle profile, but it does not that today.

Perhaps, in the future?

a

None of the Teslas auto-update the profiles? The S and X do and always have because the fob is connected to a profile. The 3 doesn’t because the phones don’t and often both phones are in the car at the same time.

You do have the same issue if there are two fobs and both are in the S/X at the same time.

Reactions: CarlK
My wife's BMW recognizes which key was used to lock/unlock.
However, since it is my wife's car, when I drive it I just drive with my wife in the passenger seat with her key in her purse.
And I press the driver profile #2 to get my seating position.
And the next time she drives it she has to press #1 to get her setting back.
Either way, we are used to manually selecting driver profile....

Tesla could detect whose phone is used to unlock the car (usually there is only one) and default to that phone owner's vehicle profile, but it does not that today.
Yes. Normal for now. Auto profile setting is not available now but is in Tesla's plan.
Tesla will tie-in saved driver profiles to specific phone keys, says Elon Musk
This is not a good solution. My wife and I share a single Smartphone. How will the car determine which of us in the driver's seat?

We just manually select the appropriate profile when required.

This is not a good solution. My wife and I share a single Smartphone. How will the car determine which of us in the driver's seat?

I would think this is an uncommon case and simply manually selecting the profile would be warranted.

I for one can’t believe Tesla.has not implemented this yet. I’m glad to see it’s coming but I’m. Not holding my breath.

Automatic recognition of the weight of the driver, or even facial recognition of who's in the driver's seat would be great, but would not completely solve the problem. Like manual selection on the MCU, these assume that the driver can actually get into the driver's seat! When my wife drives the car, her seat is so far forward that I can't even get in! I guess 'easy entry' could solve this, theoretically, if we both had it enabled, but I'd rather have the ability to select a driver profile from the app before I enter the car.

Automatic recognition of the weight of the driver, or even facial recognition of who's in the driver's seat would be great, but would not completely solve the problem. Like manual selection on the MCU, these assume that the driver can actually get into the driver's seat! When my wife drives the car, her seat is so far forward that I can't even get in! I guess 'easy entry' could solve this, theoretically, if we both had it enabled, but I'd rather have the ability to select a driver profile from the app before I enter the car.
Your only option right now is to start using Easy Entry.

Your only option right now is to start using Easy Entry.
Wow I just assumed everyone used Easy Entry which meant they would need to manually select the correct driver profile. Both my wife and I are short people so we have the seats raised and moved closer to the front of the car when driving. I guess tall people might find Easy Entry not as valuable as we do. Facial recognition of the driver matched to the profile however would be sort of cool!

Correction, it's not a good solution for *you*. It's a good solution for those whose households have multiple drivers with multiple phones. Which I believe, but have no proof of, is the majority of Model 3 owners.

Correction, it's not a good solution for *you*. It's a good solution for those whose households have multiple drivers with multiple phones. Which I believe, but have no proof of, is the majority of Model 3 owners.
This.

Tesla might also do the profile association for key fobs as well as smartphones in the future (no reason they can't; it's a BT device as well).