Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarker Sound Upgrade of 3 Front 4" speakers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have a Tesla M3 Performance (purchase) and a BMW 530e, and the lease is expiring on that soon, and it has a couple of speaker upgrades I had done last year before I bought my Model 3.

I was wondering if the two Match speaker sets linked below will replace the TM3 front door and dashboard speakers. I spoke with my audio guy, he said that the Match woofers below will NOT replace the front door 8” subwoofers. Not sure why!!

MATCH Under-seat 8" Subwoofers:
MATCH MW 8BMW-D Package Two 8" shallow-mount component subwoofers — designed to fit select BMW vehicles with under-seat subs at Crutchfield

MATCH 4" Front Door Mid-Range Speakers and 1" Dome Tweeters:
MATCH MS 42C-BMW.2 2-way component speaker system designed for select BMWs at Crutchfield

Thanks

Probably because the woofers in the doors are actually 7 in. And there is very little room for anything larger.

Looks like the identical speaker. If it's 4 Ohms it probably is the same speaker that we've been using here. I think both infinity and JBL are now owned by the same parent company, Harmon International which is now owned by Samsung. They also make Revel speakers.

Crutchfield.com specs ...

JBL sensitivity 86.5db, 75Hz-20kHz, 3 ohms, depth 1" 7/16
Infinity sensitivity 92db, 75Hz-21kHz, 3 ohms w/ 4 ohms wiring, depth 1" 7/8

True Four Ohm Impedance technology : speaker's 3-ohm impedance combines with speaker wire impedance for a 4-ohm load

Sorry for bringing the thread back to life...

Noticed OP didn't use any adapters to fit the Infinity speakers - would it not sound better to have a seal between the dash and the speaker?

I have the Infinity speakers and trying to decide whether to get some 3D printing done for adapters (haven't found anyone that sells adapters in UK)

Sorry for bringing the thread back to life...

Noticed OP didn't use any adapters to fit the Infinity speakers - would it not sound better to have a seal between the dash and the speaker?

I have the Infinity speakers and trying to decide whether to get some 3D printing done for adapters (haven't found anyone that sells adapters in UK)

Adapters, you mean connectors or something else?

Any of you guys ever done a subwoofer install? Trying to see if it's worth the hassle. I'm pretty happy with the speakers overall, would just like some more bass.

Sure have. Not hard at all with the proper equipment. There are a few threads on this.

Attachments

• 27752CD3-AB91-471F-8FF7-929F50F0CD85.jpeg
    27752CD3-AB91-471F-8FF7-929F50F0CD85.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 396
  • Love
Reactions: badiban
Sure have. Not hard at all with the proper equipment. There are a few threads on this.

Thanks for sharing! That looks awesome. One question I have is how you connect it to the 12V battery. I seem to hear conflicting statements about the safe way to do it. Some say you must connect to the 12V battery in the front, others say you should connect to the DC-DC converter in the rear passenger side. Can you share how you did it?

Thanks for sharing! That looks awesome. One question I have is how you connect it to the 12V battery. I seem to hear conflicting statements about the safe way to do it. Some say you must connect to the 12V battery in the front, others say you should connect to the DC-DC converter in the rear passenger side. Can you share how you did it?

I've never done it but my understanding from those who have is that you have to do DC DC converter and isolate it with a separate Circuit so that it does not trip the dreaded will not charge error, which will leave you stranded. I think there's a ginormous chunk of the audiophile thread devoted to this subject.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
I've never done it but my understanding from those who have is that you have to do DC DC converter and isolate it with a separate Circuit so that it does not trip the dreaded will not charge error, which will leave you stranded. I think there's a ginormous chunk of the audiophile thread devoted to this subject.

Thanks for this! This isn't something I am qualified to DIY, so I will have to take it to a shop. I am just trying to get as many notes as I can so that they don't screw up my car. I might wait a while until the shops around my area become more familiar with Teslas.

I did the DC to DC converter option with no special relays and have not had any issues. I *think* you may only run into issues if you are powering a large amplifier. I am only running a 10” sub with a 400w mono amp. It’s easily a DIY if you have basic car stereo knowledge.

I did the DC to DC converter option with no special relays and have not had any issues. I *think* you may only run into issues if you are powering a large amplifier. I am only running a 10” sub with a 400w mono amp. It’s easily a DIY if you have basic car stereo knowledge.

Thanks for sharing! Unfortunately, I do not have any knowledge about this kind of stuff, so I may have to get it done by a local shop.

Any recommendations on what kind of questions I should be asking at the shop so I can get a sense of whether they know what they're doing or not?

Thanks for sharing! Unfortunately, I do not have any knowledge about this kind of stuff, so I may have to get it done by a local shop.

Any recommendations on what kind of questions I should be asking at the shop so I can get a sense of whether they know what they're doing or not?

Ask them if they've ever done this before. If the answer is no. Move on. Get somebody who's done at least a dozen and who has a track record. Ask them how many times owners have called back reporting the will not charge error code?

• Informative
Ask them if they've ever done this before. If the answer is no. Move on. Get somebody who's done at least a dozen and who has a track record. Ask them how many times owners have called back reporting the will not charge error code?

Thanks for the suggestions! My biggest worry is that they'll lie, but I can just ask for details and see if they know what they're talking about. Hence why I'm trying to do as much research as possible. Appreciate your help!

Thanks for the suggestions! My biggest worry is that they'll lie, but I can just ask for details and see if they know what they're talking about. Hence why I'm trying to do as much research as possible. Appreciate your help!

Here's a simple question you can ask them: Do they understand that connecting to any of the car's 12V electrical systems runs the danger of tripping a code unless the amp power-up draw is isolated? If they don't know what you're talking about you can bet one hundred percent that they're not the right people to install a power amp.

• Love
Here's a simple question you can ask them: Do they understand that connecting to any of the car's 12V electrical systems runs the danger of tripping a code unless the amp power-up draw is isolated? If they don't know what you're talking about you can bet one hundred percent that they're not the right people to install a power amp.

What kind of response should I expect, other than a "Yes, we know". If I ask for specifics what should they tell me? Something along the lines of "We'll connect using the DC-DC converter and isolate it with a separate circuit"?

What kind of response should I expect, other than a "Yes, we know". If I ask for specifics what should they tell me? Something along the lines of "We'll connect using the DC-DC converter and isolate it with a separate circuit"?

Here's the technical analysis and a brief discussion thread here. Familiarize yourself with the basic ideas and Concepts and then you're in a position to know whether or not the installer understands any of this.

• Helpful