Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket 1000 watt amp model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree preparedness is better than not. I’m expecting it to give issues at some point it’s only a 45ah battery so it’ll only last so long. Now the real question is how often it will fail. The cold is one thing but constantly stressing the battery through different temps is the real test.
However to answer C-Bus Y’s question I’ve had 0 issues and I’ve been absolutely pounding that setup day in and day out. I’m not even close to babying that sound and everything is living up to my expectation.

Reactions: SWIPE
I am glad I found this forum. I have a Model Y with a JL Audio VX1000/5i amp running a JL Audio 10" Sub and Focal component speakers in the front of the car. This was installed professionally with the power drawing straight from the 12V in the frunk. It took about 2 weeks of use before I received the 12V fault. Tesla replaced the first battery under warranty but that was the only time they would do it since an aftermarket amplifier was hooked directly to the 12V.

I purchased an Ohmmu 12V battery when the 2nd 12V battery failed after 2 weeks. The Ohmmu was no match either for the power draw. Roughly two weeks was the life span. My "fix" was to buy a battery trickle charger and swap the lead-acid and Ohmmu batteries every time they trigger the 12V warning. It has worked for me but it is a pain to do that roughly twice per month. I'm good at it now though...takes 5 minutes tops! lol

I just wanted to provide some background as to what might happen when powering directly to the small 12V batteries. My installer knew no other way to do it and I spoke to a couple of others in the area and they wanted nothing to do with Tesla audio installation. I was thinking, "does anybody have any balls anymore?!"

So, I really, really appreciate this information and will make the change for my amplifier connection. To totally reset the faults, I disconnect the 12V battery, and the HV connection under the rear passenger seat, install the "new" re-charged 12 V battery, reconnect the HV connector, and the main screen powers back up with zero faults. If you are not changing the 12V battery, then I believe it's a wait time of 3 minutes to clear the faults before reconnection.

Thanks again to everyone who provided information in this thread and a special thanks to bo3bdar for the amp information. You have changed my life!

~Corey

You really should disconnect the power fully- you are going to be the guy we find dead next to his Tesla. The connector under the seat can provide 200 amps at 12V. That's 2400W of power and it will kill you hard. Accidentally drop a wrench on there and you get free arc welding.

It's really easy to do this right:
1) Leave open the hood and doors
2) Power off car from service screen. Wait for clunk of high voltage connectors releasing. 5 minutes.
3) Disconnect the ground wire from the front 12V battery.
4) Disconnect the connector right next to penthouse bolt. It's a bail connector, open bail, pull up.

I've been studying this fairly hard for months now, and the reason the car throws codes is if it detects too much inrush current when powered up. So if your amp has giant capacitors for example, that initial power on can make the car think there is a short on the penthouse connector and it throws a breaker, and then the codes to report.

As long as you don't have heavy inrush at power up, the DC-DC converter doesn't really care about the draw. So for example if you can set your amp to power up only on input signal, that will be later than that first split second power up.

Any draw over 200A is going to throw the breaker as well, so that's the upper limit of what you'd ever want here. I'd recommend not going that high regardless, because the 12V system is used for other stuff in the car like the main computer and your driving lights. I personally am going to only set up a 1kw audio system, but if you want to push it it some, you could go as high as 180A or about 2000W. If you go that high it probably makes sense to set up with a stiffening capacitor and a relay to avoid the inrush problem. (Sorry missed earlier question- I don't know of best cap to use there.)

There is a thread from a guy using the penthouse connector to power a 12V-120VAC inverter, and running his house off the 2000W inverter. So we know that all works OK, even if Tesla will give you the side-eye. For stereo use, it won't be a constant 2000W draw, so it's quite a lot less than this inverter case.

For my setup, I'm going to use 2 Class D amps with max 90A draw that can powerup on signal, so I don't currently think I'll need to use the bypass relay. Of course if I ever get codes, I'll add it. BTW, if you ever get the codes, you need to reboot the car by pulling that DC-DC converter plug under the seat.

For what it's worth, I tried to read everything on the net about the penthouse vs. 12V front battery for powering the stereo, and my conclusion is that the penthouse is the best spot. The front 12V battery is more complicated than a normal car, because the Tesla is trying to detect early failures of that battery. When it goes bad it disables your entire car. Their monitoring system doesn't work well if you add extra draws to the 12V battery, and makes the car think it's losing power. Also, we know the 12V battery is a weak spot in their design, and I want to avoid putting any additional load on it.
Sorry to bump an old post. Did this end up working for you? I'm thinking about using a similar setup where my Amp only turns on when signal is detected. Thanks

Great post! I have had 0 issues so far with the 1000w amp & switch to totally turn off the amp when not in use.
Could you provide some diagrams of your wiring? Did you deviate from the NVX install instructions? I’m very interested in getting two of the NVX subs (left and right) and then pushing them with the VAD1000.1 set to 1 Ohm like your setup is configured. I hope to replicate your success.

The JL Audio Stealth box is nagging me in the background As another potential, but I’ll try the NVX 10” subs first and see if they give me what I’m looking for.

Also the NVX NDA103 works as well. My vad10001 went out on me so out of curiousity I install this larger size(physical) 1000watt amp from nvx and it’s given me the same output along with no issues. I’ve had it in about 2-3 weeks so far with no problems. As a bonus still on the original battery from 2021.

Could you provide some diagrams of your wiring? Did you deviate from the NVX install instructions? I’m very interested in getting two of the NVX subs (left and right) and then pushing them with the VAD1000.1 set to 1 Ohm like your setup is configured. I hope to replicate your success.

The JL Audio Stealth box is nagging me in the background As another potential, but I’ll try the NVX 10” subs first and see if they give me what I’m looking for.
The 12V out from the LOC will go to the toggle switch. The other wire in the toggle switch will go to the remote turn on lead for the amplifier. It is a very basic ‘manual’ circuit breaker. Sorry, don’t have any drawings. It is very simple.

Reactions: Kwame