Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket 21" wheels that rub driver side wheel liner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All!

I hope all is well during these crazy times.

I have a 2019 model S Long Range and just installed 21" HRE FF04 running Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 255/32/21 in the front and 275/35/21 in the rear. HRE only has 1 spec for 21's for this wheel and I was told I wouldn't encounter any rubbing issues.

Given Tesla's superb quality control, of course I'm encountering rubbing on the driver side front wheel well. I have read other threads about this ranging from needing a new alignment to taking a heat gun to the wheel liner to the front end bumper and grill sagging which is causing the rub. Strangely, I only encounter this on the driver side as the passenger side has a clearance.

I also learned that when Tesla does a wheel alignment, they also take a look at the air suspension to ensure that is aligned as well. Anyone have any insight on this? Would this take care of my issue?

With folks with history and experience in this, I would love to hear any insight or feedback that you could provide.

This would be greatly apprecaited.

Be Well and Stay Safe!

Attachments

• Tesla.jpg
    Tesla.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 73
I have the same wheels and tires. I had rubbing in reverse on the passenger side, so I went in for an alignment and that definitely helped, but the biggest difference was the shop also swapped the left and right tires and the rubbing was drastically reduced.

I have the same wheels and tires. I had rubbing in reverse on the passenger side, so I went in for an alignment and that definitely helped, but the biggest difference was the shop also swapped the left and right tires and the rubbing was drastically reduced.

Thanks for your reply!

How have you liked the wheels and tires so far on your S?

In regards to swapping your left and right tire, did they swap both wheels and tires or just the tires? Did they give you any info as to how that help reduce the rubbing?

Thanks again for your help!