Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket ADAS for MS? Like looking for a unicorn.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Long time reader first time poster. On the hunt for 3 things:

1: CPO S85 (Coming from a '12 Volt)
2: Staying remotely on budget (+/- 55k)
3: AutoPilot (v1.0)

But fate & my budget says i can only have 2 of those 3 things. Alas my dilemma.

Right now the difference in a normal CPO S85 and one with AutoPilot is literally $31,000 as i write this! (ex: ev-cpo) As an aspirational buyer (not made of money) this is quite insane, if not ludicrous! ;-) bud,dum,tish!

So, what's a frugal Mustachian (i know i know, spare me, this is my 1 thing) to do?

Not much in the EV space surprises me, but that's because I've only been following it (dogmatically) for about 3 years now (around the "D" & AP1 reveal). Turns out there's been EV goings-ons before me, who knew!?

So I stumble upon the aftermarket Mobileye 560 system. Wow! At least at first glance. Never even heard of this unit until 48 hours ago. Ended up reading every thread on this site (thank you guys) and ever link the web has to offer. So that's about $1200-1800 depending on features/installation location etc.

Then there's the RD-140 with similar features around $1780 + 250 installation (their recent livechat quote). But not sure I can trust them, hardly any reviews out there. Compared to the 560 Mobileye wins.

Then there's silly apps like iOnRoad etc (all of which crash instantly or are no longer supported) which are in a sad state of affairs, practically abandoned. How is this possible these days?

Lastly there's Comma.ai and their OpenPilot software which seems worthwhile. But (at the moment) this dictates driving the Honda Civic or the Acura ILX (blah), cute cars but not remotely close to a Tesla. Further on this option, there's a hardware company that's pre-assembling their open sourced hardware recommendations, called Neodriven, pretty much $999 for the unit but it's not programmed yet. You have to do everything else. I'd be willing to pay a dev to set this up for a MS, prob up to another 1-2k extra.

Brings me to my bewildering state. Does anyone have any thoughts on what the best aftermarket ADAS system to install on a Model S (non AP1)? As spending 31k extra for APv1 is not an option (or at that price a new APv2 2017 MS60 after tax rebate).

Any advice is very welcomed.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I agree about waiting. $31k seems like a big difference for AP and I suspect you will find a better deal if you keep looking.
I don't think the aftermarket ADAS systems actually control the car. They just give warnings. AP1 is much better.

Reactions: Ulmo
Thanks guys, not giving up.

Wait. The Model 3 would work for you, and CPO prices with AP1 will come down. An add-on system would have zero residual value, if it had any to start with.

I don't mind waiting on the right CPO, but can't wait 2 years for the 400k backlog of Model 3 owners to get theirs first. And value of the add on is moot, just want the extra safety features like forward collision warning and less so lane departure warning.

Just amazed that there's no aftermarket ACC add on, which i think might be likely with the Neodriven hardware and some talented dev's working on this niche market. Or an updated version of the Mobileye 560, as it's already about 3-4 years old.