TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Aftermarket additions voiding warranty.

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by LV85, Jul 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LV85

LV85 Member

So after researching the forum I have only found a few topics on the subject. It seems that switching out for aftermarket wheels, suspension links or coils, or other mods will void the warranty for the area around the aftermarket parts. And yes i know about the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. But.... that all depends on the service center and how they want to handle it. From reading other posts it seems some do not encounter this problem at their local SC.

I asked my SC about the roadside assistance program if I switch to aftermarket wheels. Would they still respond or am I SOL? I did not get an exact answer. Instead I was told DOOM AND GLOOM about problems and that it would void the warranty of the suspension and braking system. My main question is about the roadside assistance and will it be provided? Has anyone actually used this? Does your local SC feel the same as mine about aftermarket products?
    Thanks everyone.

2. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

Soooo here's the question. You break down. You call Tesla roadside. Are you planning on telling them "oh by the way I have after market wheels etc on my car"??? If your aftermarket item caused the breakdown, expect a bill but don't see Tesla leaving you stranded for an undiagnosed issue.

3. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

I don't see it as an issue unless the aftermarket part or mod caused the problem. They can't say your aftermarket window tint caused battery to fail and his it is not covered. If it indeed did, then it would just seem fair for us to expect a bill for repair.