Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket air suspension for Model Y, what do you recommend?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I am considering to install an aftermarket air suspension kit for Model Y 2022.
Several reasons: ride too firm, I will tow a caravan (short distances), roads in my region are bad, and why not.
I am not aiming to slam the car, but rather be able to increase the height over OEM and get a comfortable drive (3 kids in the back). In few occasions I might want to lower it on highways to get better range?
I am interested in an air management system that does most of the adjustment automatically - height management based.

I've seen few options available:
1. Airlift: Tesla Model 3 (AWD) 17-22 & Model Y 20-22
2. UAS (Universal Air Suspension): Tesla Model 3 RWD 2018+ Solution Series 2 Sleeve 2 AH2 - UniversalAir.com
3. AirRide
4. AirDemand
5. ?

Anyone has experience with the above? What would you recommend for my case?

Many thanks,
Dan

Hi all

Several reasons: ride too firm, I will tow a caravan (short distances), roads in my region are bad, and why not.
I am not aiming to slam the car, but rather be able to increase the height over OEM and get a comfortable drive (3 kids in the back). In few occasions I might want to lower it on highways to get better range?
I am interested in an air management system that does most of the adjustment automatically - height management based.

2. UAS (Universal Air Suspension): Tesla Model 3 RWD 2018+ Solution Series 2 Sleeve 2 AH2 - UniversalAir.com
3. AirRide
4. AirDemand
5. ?

Many thanks,
Dan
Airlift is the superior product. Note you only sent a link to the strut bags. You will need need the airlift 3h/p for to manage, which you can expand to have sensors or just based off pressure. Will also need the tank, compressors etc.

Thanks for starting this thread. I will be monitoring this thread. I am in 2 minds. To invest in improving the suspension in my MYLR or book a Model X. I am yet to test drive the Model X.
Better place your order for the X now. You’ll ruin the value with that kinda of mod of the Y if you still don’t like it. I actually intended to buy the Y myself but after test driving it something just felt off. I then tested the 3, X and S and ended with the S, pre-refresh. There is no comparing that ride with the 3 or Y.

Better place your order for the X now. You’ll ruin the value with that kinda of mod of the Y if you still don’t like it. I actually intended to buy the Y myself but after test driving it something just felt off. I then tested the 3, X and S and ended with the S, pre-refresh. There is no comparing that ride with the 3 or Y.
Interesting. Is the S ride better than an X ride? S was not even on my radar because I live in snow country and wanted an SUV for ground clearance if snow is not cleared.

Air Lift and UAS both offer quality air suspension. You will need to combine it with a management of your choice. The 3P management is pressure controlled, and the 3H is pressure/height controlled.

I would highly recommend doing dual compressor setup and upgrading to 3/8” manifold/lines.

If anyone is interested in either kits. Send me a PM I can assist you with ordering.

Reactions: jonzcfo
Interesting. Is the S ride better than an X ride? S was not even on my radar because I live in snow country and wanted an SUV for ground clearance if snow is not cleared.
Same, it wasn’t on my radar either. I liked the X, it felt a bit oversized … almost van-ish. I’ve never owned a true SUV like a Suburban so it was just too different coming out of a Cadillac ELR. Plus at the time there were some quality concerns with those falcon doors. Those are sweet but I couldn’t imagine dropping the kids off in it everyday. Really just test drove the S because I had 30 minutes to kill and I just never looked back. What is super surprising about the S is just how much room you have in the back. Lay the seats down and you can get 2 mountain bikes back there no problem (front wheels off). Plenty of YouTube videos out there that highlight this…. More room than the Y back there.

Reactions: 45thParallel
Same, it wasn’t on my radar either. I liked the X, it felt a bit oversized … almost van-ish. I’ve never owned a true SUV like a Suburban so it was just too different coming out of a Cadillac ELR. Plus at the time there were some quality concerns with those falcon doors. Those are sweet but I couldn’t imagine dropping the kids off in it everyday. Really just test drove the S because I had 30 minutes to kill and I just never looked back. What is super surprising about the S is just how much room you have in the back. Lay the seats down and you can get 2 mountain bikes back there no problem (front wheels off). Plenty of YouTube videos out there that highlight this…. More room than the Y back there.
I have both the S and the Y.. there is not more room in the S it's just shaped different.. the wider S does give way more hip room that keeps my 3 kids from being crammed together.. I have 7 seaters for both.. the S seats 7 more comfortable but my kids have grown to hate sitting backwards.. the Y is better in the snow since I got a lift kit and my S is RWD.. both are great cars.. I hate the S door handles stupid design I've replaced all of them at least once

Reactions: tm1v2
I have both the S and the Y.. there is not more room in the S it's just shaped different.. the wider S does give way more hip room that keeps my 3 kids from being crammed together.. I have 7 seaters for both.. the S seats 7 more comfortable but my kids have grown to hate sitting backwards.. the Y is better in the snow since I got a lift kit and my S is RWD.. both are great cars.. I hate the S door handles stupid design I've replaced all of them at least once
You can fit 7 seats in a an S?

Hi all

3. AirRide
4. AirDemand
5. ?

Many thanks,
Dan
I am also of two minds. Model Y is great around town, on urban roads and highways, but on dirt roads, it is disappointing. I do not know yet how it will be in the snow (with top quality studded snow tires). It strikes me as an urban vehicle but since we go to houses a mile or two up dirt and gravel roads, those miles are very uncomfortable.

I am also of two minds. Model Y is great around town, on urban roads and highways, but on dirt roads, it is disappointing. I do not know yet how it will be in the snow (with top quality studded snow tires). It strikes me as an urban vehicle but since we go to houses a mile or two up dirt and gravel roads, those miles are very uncomfortable.
I switched to 18" wheels and some 2x5/60 ratio tires have softened it up tremendously

Has anyone put an aftermarket air suspension on their Y, and placed the tank, compressors, and management in the hatch area, instead of the frunk? I am planning my system out and may go this route. It will be hidden. Anyone?

I went in the end with the MPP Comfort coilovers, mainly because of install/maintenance simplicity. Happy with the choice so far. I'm using the car on some off-road trips (was impossible with the stock suspensions), and also pulling a caravan. I lost ~1 cm of ground clearance.

Air Lift and UAS both offer quality air suspension. You will need to combine it with a management of your choice. The 3P management is pressure controlled, and the 3H is pressure/height controlled.

I would highly recommend doing dual compressor setup and upgrading to 3/8” manifold/lines.

If anyone is interested in either kits. Send me a PM I can assist you with ordering.
No