Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket (amazon) carbon fiber rear spoiler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC, I just finished mounting my Amazon CF rear deck lid spoiler and I thought I would make a quick post about my experience. A few weeks ago I purchased this guy (full disclosure, I didn't actually spend any money on it, I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon for my company and get mad points) expecting it to be awful and get sent back. Took a week to arrive, came in a stupidly large exterior box (thing was 4ft by 6ft by 8inches or so) unboxed it and found that the inner box was damaged, I'm guessing at the Amazon warehouse as the outer box was fine. I inspected the spoiler and found a small chip in the clear coat corresponding to the area of damage on the box, it probably wouldn't be noticeable, but I'm a pretty OCD guy so that wasn't going to cut it. Packed it back up, had Amazon send UPS out to grab it and they cross shipped me another. They shipped ground from Florida so each time it took a week or so, but the second arrived last weekend and this time it only came in the inner box(!?!) AND to add insult to injury this box had obviously been opened previously as the tape was cut and re-taped, however after inspecting the 2nd unit it was flawless.

Did a dry fit on the 3 and... well... now I know why the box was open, someone must have purchased it, dry fit it, realized the fitment sucked and sent it back. Given I didn't actually pay anything for it, I decided why not try and make it fit? The spoiler itself is ABS or some similar plastic mold that is overlaid with CF, after numerous dry fittings I identified where the inner structure was too close to the edges of the spoiler causing a 2-3mm gap on the last 6inches or so of each side. Queue the dremel, I did my best to remove as much excess material from the interior as I could, and sanded the crap out of plastic mold. When I purchased it I had assumed it would come with knock off mounting tape, and true to form, even though the amazon listing said "genuine 3M mounting tape" it was not, just some random red backed tape, so I applied my own 3M tape. Admittedly this took me a few attempts, the tape itself is probably 2mm thick so it would push the spoiler off the deck lid just a bit. 3 tries later I realized that I should try to adhere the spoiler to the "underside" of the trunk lid, the inner mold is essentially a "<" shape, so I only put tape on the lower leg of the "<." I made sure to clean the surface and use some adhesion promoter before applying the tape. Did the same with the trunk lid, pulled the tape backing and went a little overboard with the painters tape. I let it sit for 6-8hrs in the sun before removing the painters tape and here is the end result.

IMG_9002 - Copy.jpg

IMG_9003 - Copy.jpg

IMG_9004 - Copy.jpg

Look at that edge fitment! Better than stock! I am pretty thrilled with the results as I read numerous reports of the OEM spoiler not fitting great especially on the ends. The photos make it look like there are weird lines or blemishes on the spoiler, its actually a reflection of my house siding, there isn't a single imperfection in the gloss or carbon fiber.

Now lets see if it stays in place. I've got a few hundred miles or driving coming up next week, ideally it will still be attached when I return! Only time will tell if the clear will crack or discolor, but for today, I think it looks pretty darn good.

Hello,

Nice, the quality seems to be good. Keep us informed in a few weeks about the edge fitment.

On my Long Range i have this one in mat, it is not real carbon but the price is good and the quality too : Spoiler Model 3

Very nice! Yours looks like it has excellent fitment as well! I'd wager they're produced by the same folks. Can you tell me how long you've had yours? My only real concern is how long it will last before it cracks or fades.

Reactions: TomaGo
Interesting idea, to only put the tape on the bottom half, in order to get the top to fit tighter. I hope it stays on!

You and me both! I will say, based on the design of the spoiler (in theory) the downforce should be exerted mainly on the tapped portion, as when the air travels over the cabin, hitting the trunk lid the spoiler should act a bit like a cantilever "pushing" the tapped portion up against the underside of the trunk lid. I would imagine (read as: I hope) this is stronger than the closed vortex flow/low pressure bubble behind the car wanting to rip it off. At least thats my arm chair engineering analysis. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Hello, my spoiler is a plastic version, not real carbon but the look is nice in glossy. In mat version the look is more plastic than carbon.

I installed it on a ceramic treatment and it started to move after a few months. So I replaced the double-sided with a good 3M and then it held up well. Since then I changed my car for a Performance.

Reactions: yeahthatguy
Hello, my spoiler is a plastic version, not real carbon but the look is nice in glossy. In mat version the look is more plastic than carbon.

I installed it on a ceramic treatment and it started to move after a few months. So I replaced the double-sided with a good 3M and then it held up well. Since then I changed my car for a Performance.
How did you get it off without damaging the paint? Mine lifted off a small amount o. O r side

Attachments

• PXL_20210411_214153100.jpg
    PXL_20210411_214153100.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 148