Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Amplifier Model X guidance

Technupe

Apr 19, 2018
Boston, MA
Cant seem to find any post detailing the install of an aftermarket amp for a speaker upgrade on standard model x.

i have the light harmonics speakers and need an amp to make the most of them.

i already have an amp installed for a subwoofer working fine but would like to upgrade that amp to multi channel or add another amp.

Mostly looking for how folks bypassed the factory amp for the door speakers and possibly tweeters.

Technupe

Apr 19, 2018
Boston, MA
there is a great write up here - Tesla Model X Full Audio Upgrade – Elevated Audio

Also, here's a calculator I just created to estimate range effects of aftermarket amplifiers. Please let me know what you think - Shared EV Amplifier Power Calculator
This is awesome, I'll certainly check out the calculator, I knew it could affect the range but I didn't put it into exact numbers and those initial numbers are higher than I thought based on the template.

The guide on why is great, and gives me a lot of the info I need, I happen to have the same year so that helps, but any details on the wiring and how to bypass without killing the stock setup if I'd like to remove the amp?

ELEV8DX

Jun 3, 2021
Denver, CO
This is awesome, I'll certainly check out the calculator, I knew it could affect the range but I didn't put it into exact numbers and those initial numbers are higher than I thought based on the template.

The guide on why is great, and gives me a lot of the info I need, I happen to have the same year so that helps, but any details on the wiring and how to bypass without killing the stock setup if I'd like to remove the amp?
You're unable to remove the factory amplifiers. Even that build changed slightly since we originally did it. AUX directly into a processor (like the Helix DSP Ultra) will give you a much better sound quality. The Ultra allows for multiple inputs so you're still able to use your factory radio when desired. When you're bypassing the factory stereo, you are temporarily giving up all warning chimes, nav prompts, and turn signal sounds. The EQ in the OEM amplifiers that's sent to the speakers is quite crazy and dynamic (EQ changes based on volume level meaning at low volume there is more bass to compensate for the fletcher munson curve. As volume increases, it pulls bass out of the signal so keep that in mind when you're listening to your new subwoofer.

OEM Signal path = Headunit ---> Factory Amplifiers ----> Speakers.
Signal path = Headunit ---> Factory Amplifiers ----> Signal Processor/DSP ---->Amplifiers ----> Speakers.
Alt Signal path for best sound = iPhone/Android/FLAC----> Dragonfly Cobalt DAC ---> Aux cable ---> Signal Processor/DSP ---->Amplifiers ----> Speakers.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC