Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Amplifier Model X guidance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cant seem to find any post detailing the install of an aftermarket amp for a speaker upgrade on standard model x.

i have the light harmonics speakers and need an amp to make the most of them.

i already have an amp installed for a subwoofer working fine but would like to upgrade that amp to multi channel or add another amp.

Mostly looking for how folks bypassed the factory amp for the door speakers and possibly tweeters.

there is a great write up here - Tesla Model X Full Audio Upgrade – Elevated Audio

Also, here's a calculator I just created to estimate range effects of aftermarket amplifiers. Please let me know what you think - Shared EV Amplifier Power Calculator
This is awesome, I'll certainly check out the calculator, I knew it could affect the range but I didn't put it into exact numbers and those initial numbers are higher than I thought based on the template.

The guide on why is great, and gives me a lot of the info I need, I happen to have the same year so that helps, but any details on the wiring and how to bypass without killing the stock setup if I'd like to remove the amp?

This is awesome, I'll certainly check out the calculator, I knew it could affect the range but I didn't put it into exact numbers and those initial numbers are higher than I thought based on the template.

The guide on why is great, and gives me a lot of the info I need, I happen to have the same year so that helps, but any details on the wiring and how to bypass without killing the stock setup if I'd like to remove the amp?
You're unable to remove the factory amplifiers. Even that build changed slightly since we originally did it. AUX directly into a processor (like the Helix DSP Ultra) will give you a much better sound quality. The Ultra allows for multiple inputs so you're still able to use your factory radio when desired. When you're bypassing the factory stereo, you are temporarily giving up all warning chimes, nav prompts, and turn signal sounds. The EQ in the OEM amplifiers that's sent to the speakers is quite crazy and dynamic (EQ changes based on volume level meaning at low volume there is more bass to compensate for the fletcher munson curve. As volume increases, it pulls bass out of the signal so keep that in mind when you're listening to your new subwoofer.

OEM Signal path = Headunit ---> Factory Amplifiers ----> Speakers.
Signal path = Headunit ---> Factory Amplifiers ----> Signal Processor/DSP ---->Amplifiers ----> Speakers.
Alt Signal path for best sound = iPhone/Android/FLAC----> Dragonfly Cobalt DAC ---> Aux cable ---> Signal Processor/DSP ---->Amplifiers ----> Speakers.

You're unable to remove the factory amplifiers. Even that build changed slightly since we originally did it. AUX directly into a processor (like the Helix DSP Ultra) will give you a much better sound quality. The Ultra allows for multiple inputs so you're still able to use your factory radio when desired. When you're bypassing the factory stereo, you are temporarily giving up all warning chimes, nav prompts, and turn signal sounds. The EQ in the OEM amplifiers that's sent to the speakers is quite crazy and dynamic (EQ changes based on volume level meaning at low volume there is more bass to compensate for the fletcher munson curve. As volume increases, it pulls bass out of the signal so keep that in mind when you're listening to your new subwoofer.

OEM Signal path = Headunit ---> Factory Amplifiers ----> Speakers.
Signal path = Headunit ---> Factory Amplifiers ----> Signal Processor/DSP ---->Amplifiers ----> Speakers.
Alt Signal path for best sound = iPhone/Android/FLAC----> Dragonfly Cobalt DAC ---> Aux cable ---> Signal Processor/DSP ---->Amplifiers ----> Speakers.

So if im understanding this correctly, you tapped all of the wires after the factory amp to the DSP? I have found it impossible to find any detail on the specific wiring diagram for my 2018 Model X 100D with UHFS stereo already installed.

Initially I found a video from NVX that showed on a 2018 Model S where to tap the subwoofer cable coming off the factory amp and was simply going to do that until I could figure out how to properly wire to the DSP.

The OEM wiring harnesses look to be split on both sides of the car so would have to route cables back to a centralized point to get everything back to the DSP. Also looks like I would have to group some speakers together since my Audison bit ten might not be able to handle all of the speakers individually. Maybe I switch to the Audison Bit One, or the Helix DSP Ultra like you've described?

Any insights or wiring diagrams or direction would be greatly appreciated.

My 2018 Tesla Model X has been replace for 2nd time the aux 12volt battery and last one lasted less than 2 years. I did installed extra amplifier and tap it directly to the 12volt positive battery terminal since I get the vehicle. The Tesla service replace my first time battery for free but the second time replacement last week they refuse to pay. My Tesla still have factory warranty until this May of 2023. The reason is that I have additional power draw for my amplifier cause Tesla electronic not able to detect since I tapped directly to the battery terminal, cause it to prematurely wear the cycle of the aux battery. The Tesla service told me that you might be able get the amplifier power from the inside power outlet so the car can detect the extra power demand and the aux battery will not worn out prematurely. How do you connect to power this amp??

My 2018 Tesla Model X has been replace for 2nd time the aux 12volt battery and last one lasted less than 2 years. I did installed extra amplifier and tap it directly to the 12volt positive battery terminal since I get the vehicle. The Tesla service replace my first time battery for free but the second time replacement last week they refuse to pay. My Tesla still have factory warranty until this May of 2023. The reason is that I have additional power draw for my amplifier cause Tesla electronic not able to detect since I tapped directly to the battery terminal, cause it to prematurely wear the cycle of the aux battery. The Tesla service told me that you might be able get the amplifier power from the inside power outlet so the car can detect the extra power demand and the aux battery will not worn out prematurely. How do you connect to power this amp??
Maybe you've already solved this issue, but I suggest to use an amplifier with 'auto-on'. I automatically switches on when audio signal is comeing in.
This saves the battery a lot.
Another possibility would be to use a relay (control wired to cigarette lighter) to auto-cut the battery connected 12V supply.
How did you end up?