Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Audio -- need advise on picking components!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

Going down the aftermarket audio path and been talking with a local installer about what my options are. Here's what we have on the table:

Replace pillar tweeters
Replace front door speakers with component midrange
Replace rear door speakers with coaxial (if added with front then include 4-channel amp)
Add NVX amp + Sub
Add Dynamat to 4 doors + rear wheel wells

Obviously the pricing goes up quickly if I pick all the options so trying to find out where to get the most bang-for-buck here. I have the base audio and typically I'm the only occupant in the car, so I am thinking:

Replace front door speakers with components
Add NVX amp + Sub
Add Dynamat

OR

Replace front door speakers with components
Replace rear door speakers with coaxials (+ 4-channel amp)
Add NVX amp + Sub

OR

Replace pillar tweeters
Replace front door speakers
Add NVX amp + Sub

What do you guys think is the best option, or is there a different combination altogether that will provide the best bang-for-buck?

For reference, I listen to Pop/Rock/EDM/Hip-Hop/Jazz, so ideally something that can handle a wide variety of music.

Didn't even replace the tweeters nor the sub. Just replaced the cheap "premium" door speakers with Polk MM651 UM's. These are superb, and I listen to classical. I read that their newer-model co-ax speakers may not be as good though.

I've also installed sound-deadening in doors and wheelwells, after much research.

Last week I installed an Alpine PXE-8050S. Its a new 8 channel bluetooth DSP amp and im really happy with the results. Its running JL Audio C3 650 components, active (each mid and tweeter has its own amp channel). The most noticeable enhancement is the pillar tweeters along with an increase in overall loudness and clarity. I have been experimenting with subwoofers and haven't settled on which one yet. The beauty of the Alpine PXE is that you can setup presets on you phone to switch between any combination of crossovers and eq settings for each channel. So its easy to switch from bass through the doors or sub.
I just thought I would share my excitement and thoughts of this new technology. Its a nice match for a techy car like Tesla.

Last week I installed an Alpine PXE-8050S. Its a new 8 channel bluetooth DSP amp and im really happy with the results. Its running JL Audio C3 650 components, active (each mid and tweeter has its own amp channel). The most noticeable enhancement is the pillar tweeters along with an increase in overall loudness and clarity. I have been experimenting with subwoofers and haven't settled on which one yet. The beauty of the Alpine PXE is that you can setup presets on you phone to switch between any combination of crossovers and eq settings for each channel. So its easy to switch from bass through the doors or sub.
I just thought I would share my excitement and thoughts of this new technology. Its a nice match for a techy car like Tesla.
Interesting, I need to look up that Alpine. I have heard others say that better tweeters an make a huge difference.

@Kahukura, it sounds like you have put together a great sounding system. DSP and new amps are definitely the way to go for a top end system.

I think I can get a good sound without going with a dsp, but adding the Light Harmonics drop in amplifier, upgrading the subwoofer driver and replacing the front door drivers and A-pillar tweeters with a nice component set.

My question, does anyone know if the signal to the front door drivers receives a full signal? If so, I think that I can create a premium sounding system without having to run everything through a DSP.