Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Audio Upgrade - Replace Tweeters and Mid-Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey

I am upgrading the standard audio in my Tesla Model S 2017. I will replace the four speakers in the doors (light harmonics) and add two Rockford Fosgate PS8 subs in the back on each side.

Is there any point in replacing the Tweeters and Midrange? Have anyone done this with a good result?

For 4 years I put up with minor annoyances in the standard audio system due to lack of reasonable bass, clarity and presence. The LH replacements fixes all those issues to an acceptable level. Look forward to driving just to hear all the different music again on an improved system. But now the highs like cymbals and high hats in certain rock songs sound slightly distorted and I'm thinking it's the stock tweeters that can't keep up with the LH so looking for replacements. Will probably try 1" off the shelves first.

Was also looking at NVX sub the same time, however now with only the LH upgrade there may enough bass to satisfy most types of music I listen to. The major thing that stands out is that at any volume, even at a '1' setting, the response and quality of sound is very close to that at higher volumes with the LH speakers. In the standard and even UHFS systems I've noticed at low volumes the bass typically disappears, very inconsistent when compared to at higher volumes.

I notice you had UHFS in the past two cars but perhaps not in the most recent one, were you not happy with the system? There was no UHFS (or Studio Sound as it was called back then) to demo when I purchased so I didn't include it as an option. At $950 back then I later wished I included it when I heard the difference. At $2,500 now I would rather opt for LH and NVX which would be the better system, cheaper too if self installed.

I was happy with the UHFS but there was an inventory deal I couldn't pass up last month (end of quater deals, before the current 90D firesale going on now which I missed, with cars fully optioned for the same price, sigh...) I'm ok with the loss of the subwoofer, but the higher frequencies just don't come across clear enough to me. Interested in hearing what you do for the tweeters.

Has anyone found a suitable great sounding replacement for the pillar tweeters and the center channel on the dash?
I have the complete UHFS Light Harmonic upgrade with the SQ sub and I love it. I'd just like to see if anyone has improved on that?

Has anyone found a suitable great sounding replacement for the pillar tweeters and the center channel on the dash?
I have the complete UHFS Light Harmonic upgrade with the SQ sub and I love it. I'd just like to see if anyone has improved on that?
I would like to know also. I hear the tweeters are pretty standard to replace. I wonder if that’s true.

Reactions: duybile
Bumping this, since I have spent countless hours looking for a solution to dash and tweeter speakers and can't find one.

Anyone got a solution?
I have the same issue with mine blown tweeters and possibly some of the 3' dash speakers. Crutchfield is usually pretty good about knowing if something wont work and they have multiple tweeters that say will work with minor modification if you put your car in. I think I'm gonna try that route. Everyone replaces the door speakers and doesn't touch the dash stuff. I'll let you know what the outcome is after I get them in.

I have the same issue with mine blown tweeters and possibly some of the 3' dash speakers. Crutchfield is usually pretty good about knowing if something wont work and they have multiple tweeters that say will work with minor modification if you put your car in. I think I'm gonna try that route. Everyone replaces the door speakers and doesn't touch the dash stuff. I'll let you know what the outcome is after I get them in.
I dunno... Crutchfield has had a decade to figure this out and they still don't offer wiring harnesses for Tesla Model S. To me that seems lazy. I wouldn't trust crutchfield's tweeter recommendation but good luck.