Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket automatic frunk and foot sensor for boot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking about installing a couple of mods such as the automatic frunk open/close and the foot sensor for the boot.
Will these in any way void the warranty of the car( other than in obvious places such as the boot/frunk door itself?)

I'm thinking about installing a couple of mods such as the automatic frunk open/close and the foot sensor for the boot.
Will these in any way void the warranty of the car( other than in obvious places such as the boot/frunk door itself?)
From my past experience of a Hansshow trunk lift installation which threw up some fault messages that wouldn't go away...
When I raised a service centre request for clearing the fault messages the first thing the (Crawley) service centre said was "disconnect the third-party equipment before we will even look at it for you. They kept it for a few days "to see if the fault returned" then let me have it back on payment of £170 declaring non-warranty created fault.

Mine might have been a fluke event but if it goes wrong you *might* have to pay for it to be fixed :(

Mind you more recently I had one of those "emergency call failure" messages which Winchester service centre fixed with no problem - the Hansshow trunk lifters were fitted and working fine well before then and totally unrelated to the fault message.

It can only affect the warranty for those areas. I.E if your boot stops working and you've fitted a foot opener then yeah, your gonna be out of luck.

That said I have a after market electric frunk opener, no splicing required and if it comes to it, it can easily be returned back to stock.

We've had the TeslaOffer (now EVOffer) frunk, boot and foot sensor installed for about a year. In retrospect, I wouldn't have bothered with the foot sensor. It's hit and miss i.e. works when you're washing the car and don't want the boot to open and doesn't work when you're carrying a box load of shopping and do want it to work.

The boot has been giving us problems recently in that it opens but then won't shut if we press the button. It will shut if we force it down thankfully. I'm in dialogue (via Telegram) with EVOffer at the moment to try to sort out this sporadic issue that seems to happen once every week to ten days.

Reactions: Durzel
I should add that the guy who installed this for me did so willingly even though he focusses almost exclusively on Hansshow stuff. If you were going to use him, I'd say stick to Hansshow in case you have any issues.

EVOffer support is responsive and detailed so hopefully we'll have the issue sorted soon... the jury is still out.

Reactions: Durzel
I should add that the guy who installed this for me did so willingly even though he focusses almost exclusively on Hansshow stuff. If you were going to use him, I'd say stick to Hansshow in case you have any issues.

EVOffer support is responsive and detailed so hopefully we'll have the issue sorted soon... the jury is still out.
I'll be interested to hear how you get this resolved, as I've got the same kit and it sounds like it was installed by the same person.

For the most part in my experience the foot sensor works well. It is worth noting that if you have had the boot kit connected to the 12v underneath the rear seats, which is where the guy installed mine, then it will go to sleep when the car does and render the foot sensor inoperable. It is supposed to be connected to a permanent live, which that location isn't. I haven't got around to rewiring mine yet but plan to when I can be bothered, but my foot sensor does not work at all while the car is asleep, because the boot control module is off.

I haven't got around to rewiring mine yet but plan to when I can be bothered
if you do, please let us know how to

Typically, since I've been in dialogue with EVOffer, the issue has only happend once. They've been very responsive and helpful with audio messages and videos that helped explain what the issue might be. However, because it's so sporadic it's really hard to diagnose. I do have some steps to take next time it occurs so I'll implement them and see what happens.

I should add that they let me know of a recall they have where the cable that runs to the struts gets pinched and fails after so many thousand openings. I assume that anyone ordering now wouldn't have kit with that issue.

EVOffer have an install video here:

The location they recommend wiring it up to is (for the moment, Tesla can change things on a whim) a permanent live. It drops to 9v when the car sleeps, but it is enough - I presume - to keep the EVOffer control box energised, and therefore the foot sensor.

I'm planning on wiring mine directly to the 12v battery by punching a hole in the rubber grommet on the drivers side under the steering wheel. This would mean that I could disconnect the kit more easily, if it starts causing problems, whereas connecting it where they suggest means you have to remove trim again and access a particularly difficult spot to remove it. This rubber grommet is only present on pre-heatpump cars, so might not be an option for you even if you wanted to do this.

I don't think this would make any difference to your problem of the boot occasionally not shutting if you press the button.

Incidentally, I don't know if you've experienced this, but because my boot kit is connected to the power under the seats occasionally when I wake the car up the boot will automatically open as well, because the control box is getting power suddenly. It doesn't happen every time, but I'm convinced that when I wire it up to a permanent live the problem will go away.