Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Blindspot Warning on Mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks,
Can you recommend any aftermarket blindspot warning system I can install on my S90D with AP1 that can work like what we find in Audi and Camry? Solid light on when someone is in your blind spot?

It's not intuitive to look in your dash for blindspot warnings when changing lanes. This is a solved problem that imho Tesla doesn't solve well right now. For the premium category the cars belong to, we need side mirrors that are blindspot-aware.

Reactions: gowthamn
I'm afraid I don't know of such a kit, but I can recommend adjusting your mirrors so that there's no blind spot. It's cheaper than any kit.

cleanup-blindspots-photo-519796-s-original.jpg

I was a long-time holdout against this, with my previous cars. I like to see a little of the car in my side mirrors, and I got away with it because visibility was still ok with those cars. But geometry of the TMS demands better mirror adjustment.

^^^^ +infinity!

Most racing and track instructors will emphasize this. No car has blind spots when mirrors are properly adjusted unless it's a cargo van/truck with no side and/or rear windows. Mirrors aren't for viewing the side of your own car. Once a car starts to move out of the rear view mirror, part of that car should then be simultaneously visible in the side mirror. That's when you truly know the mirrors are adjusted correctly with zero blind spots.

I agree that there is no blind spot if the mirrors are adjusted correctly. Sometimes it is a little disorienting at first when you have driven your whole life with mirrors incorrectly adjusted, but you quickly get used to it. I would recommend trying the correct adjustment in light multi-segment lane traffic at first until you get comfortable with it.

I learned how to adjust mirrors that way from my Dad. 8)

However, I find that for my seating position I can just barely get them towed-out enough. A very close call.
I'm only 6' 1" so I wonder about folks with the seat even further back.

All that said, I think the *@##@ car should have the sensors like any other car you get nowadays.

Reactions: David29
This is the way I have done it all my life. Our darned Prius doesn't have memory settings. Despite the fact that my wife and I both have our head in about the same location, I have to push the side mirrors out every time I get in after she's driven because she adjusts the side mirrors straight back.

I've explained to her why this leave huge blinds spots that she can't see. She understands but refuses to change. She swears it works for her the way she does it and likes it that way. Grrrr:eek:

Folks,
Can you recommend any aftermarket blindspot warning system I can install on my S90D with AP1 that can work like what we find in Audi and Camry? Solid light on when someone is in your blind spot?

It's not intuitive to look in your dash for blindspot warnings when changing lanes. This is a solved problem that imho Tesla doesn't solve well right now. For the premium category the cars belong to, we need side mirrors that are blindspot-aware.

It's highly unlikely Tesla will ever install a blind spot warning system similar to other manufacturers which have the warning triangle in the mirror. Tesla's intent from the beginning of the design of the Model S was to not have side mirrors and instead use small cameras and internal displays.

Due to regulations, they were forced to put side mirrors on anyway, but the instant that the laws get changed to allow electronic side monitors instead of mirrors, Tesla is going to rip them right off the car. If the blind spot monitors were in the mirror, then they'd have to be moved somewhere else.

Eventually, all cars will go to electronic side monitors and the blind spot warnings will move elsewhere, so we may as well get used to it now.

I agree wholeheartedly with the concept of adjusting the mirrors correctly, and have done this in other cars, but I have been unable to do so in my Model S. As others have noted, the driver's side mirror does not seem to have quite enough angular range of motion to be adjusted as far out as I'd like.
Having said that, I have been OK so far.
The other problem, for me, is that I simply do not look at the instrument panel when I want to change lanes -- I look at the mirrors and out the window. It is pretty natural, in the car and in other aspects in life, to look where you are going, or where you intend to go. Looking at the instrument panel to search for those silly little warning "rays" is simply not intuitive, and I even think it is dangerous. Does not work for me, anyway. Maybe I have been driving too long (more than 50 years) to change my ways ....

I agree wholeheartedly with the concept of adjusting the mirrors correctly, and have done this in other cars, but I have been unable to do so in my Model S. As others have noted, the driver's side mirror does not seem to have quite enough angular range of motion to be adjusted as far out as I'd like.
Having said that, I have been OK so far.
The other problem, for me, is that I simply do not look at the instrument panel when I want to change lanes -- I look at the mirrors and out the window. It is pretty natural, in the car and in other aspects in life, to look where you are going, or where you intend to go. Looking at the instrument panel to search for those silly little warning "rays" is simply not intuitive, and I even think it is dangerous. Does not work for me, anyway. Maybe I have been driving too long (more than 50 years) to change my ways ....

I have been adjusting my mirrors the prescribed way mentioned above. My problem is not the next lane, but when merging, many times, while merging, I need to go over another lane. That blind spot is terrible. I am not changing two lanes at a time. First one lane, then the next, to get to the HOV lane, and it is very blind.
I use the stick on mirrors and my rear camera for blind spots.

Very disappointing that the blind spot monitoring doesn't work when the web site clearly stated that as a feature when I purchased my MS. I still have the web site description printed. With the end of September 2016 model which was 2 weeks before the advent of the HW2, it's unlikely there will ever be an improvement available. The Lexus that I had previously worked perfectly for Blind Spot monitoring and Cross traffic alert.

As other have said, adjust your mirrors. I'm 6'4" and more leg than torso and it's not a problem for me.
If you want to make sure the side of your car is still there, just move your head over 2" and you'll see the side of your car. It shouldn't be a huge movement of your head to see the side of the car.

The problem with properly adjusted mirrors is that if you are stopped in traffic / lane and you want to move to the adjacent lane that has no/less traffic, you cannot see any (fast) approaching car, at all. The rearview mirror is blocked by the stopped car behind you.

Nosken's image clearly shows that limitation. The upper mirror (aka properly adjusted) only shows 2 cars. The lower part (aka improperly adjusted) shows a lot more cars behind, which is what you want to see if you need to merge to the next lane and you are stopped in the current lane.

This is why the "properly adjusted" mirrors are always emphasized by racing instructors. In a race you do not get stuck in traffic like you would on regular commute.

Last edited:
I was in Hawaii last week and was in a taxi (Honda Odyssey) with a cool solution. There is cameras in the rear view mirrors and when you put your turn signal on the respective camera turns on on the screen. Its actually really cool and smart. Wouldn't the side view AP camera work? It points back like the odysseys camera. This would resolve blind spot issues.
download-1.jpg
body-exterior3.png

I was in Hawaii last week and was in a taxi (Honda Odyssey) with a cool solution. There is cameras in the rear view mirrors and when you put your turn signal on the respective camera turns on on the screen. Its actually really cool and smart. Wouldn't the side view AP camera work? It points back like the odysseys camera. This would resolve blind spot issues.
View attachment 243394 View attachment 243393
Got to agree. I saw the same thing when riding in my in-laws Honda Ridgeline. Wouldn't it be nice to have the inputs from the B-pillar or front quarter panel cameras come up in the appropriate side of the IC when the turn signal is activated? Another benny would be a visible reminder that my turn signal is on when my music is cranked up too high!