Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Aftermarket CF goodies for the Roadster - Feeler - Lets make it happen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sample Update 5/7/2015. The progression is from left to right / worst to best in the picture with three units.

The other pictures are closeups of each unit in one location also showing progression.
RIMG0199.jpg

RIMG0200.jpg

RIMG0201.jpg

RIMG0203.jpg

They'll fit onto the OEM housing with no tolerance. We found the backside of the OEM housing has extremely complex contours, holes, and placements for electrical wiring. It would've been impossible to tool the back side of the entire housing in CF and stay within budget. Our way still produces a true CF part and makes installation easy for everyone, everywhere; DIY with no tools needed.

Wow. Beautiful!

Bonnie, if you are going to be in the Bay Area on Tuesday the 12th to have those CC pieces installed (do I have that right?) maybe I could join you just to meet you and see the pieces. My work schedule might not allow it but maybe it will work out. Can you PM me with the place and time?

Last edited:
The voice recording stated "overlay" - but these are full CF tail light housing replacements, right? Not an overlay?

They'll fit onto the OEM housing with no tolerance. We found the backside of the OEM housing has extremely complex contours, holes, and placements for electrical wiring. It would've been impossible to tool the back side of the entire housing in CF and stay within budget. Our way still produces a true CF part and makes installation easy for everyone, everywhere; DIY with no tools needed.

I'm very-much looking forward to these getting done and ready for shipping.

That being said, you had originally stated...

Hi all,

We have 2 options for the tail lights. The first is a carbon fiber overlay of the existing tail lights. The second is a true carbon fiber housing, built from the OEM mold. Each option will appear as a true CF part. Our carbon fiber weave is a high-quality match to the OEM weave and will be just as durable. Lead time is 6 weeks, and I'll press to deliver sooner. Fabrication will start as soon as the first 15 orders are placed. We'll offer a lifetime warranty on these CF parts. I've included pricing for each option below. Kindly let me know your thoughts.

CF Tail Light overlay = $800/set
True CF Tail Light = $1000/set

I don't know about others, but I paid the $1,000/set for a "set of CF tail lights".

Now, if the answer is "After digging deeper into the project, we've found that we can't do a full set of CF tail lights, we can only create a CF overlay." that's fine, things happen with a new product.

But, what about those of us that paid the higher price for the full set of tail lights...not just an overlay?

What's the difference between the $800 "Tail light overlay" and the $1,000 "True CF Tail Light"?

Wow. Beautiful!

Bonnie, if you are going to be in the Bay Area on Tuesday the 12th to have those CC pieces installed (do I have that right?) maybe I could join you just to meet you and see the pieces. My work schedule might not allow it but maybe it will work out. Can you PM me with the place and time?

I am going to be in the Bay Area on the 12th, but haven't heard anything back about place/time or if the pieces will even be ready.

I'm very-much looking forward to these getting done and ready for shipping.

That being said, you had originally stated...

I don't know about others, but I paid the $1,000/set for a "set of CF tail lights".

Now, if the answer is "After digging deeper into the project, we've found that we can't do a full set of CF tail lights, we can only create a CF overlay." that's fine, things happen with a new product.

But, what about those of us that paid the higher price for the full set of tail lights...not just an overlay?

What's the difference between the $800 "Tail light overlay" and the $1,000 "True CF Tail Light"?
Habious, the back side of the OEM tail light housing is quite complex. I've included a pic below. To tool the back side and the front, which is already the most complex surface on the outside of the Roadster, would've likely started in the $1500 range produced domestically with a larger minimum order. These are made to order carbon fiber parts and for this initial run we've accounted for less than 20 sets. Considering this is a new to market item the r&d was significantly more than estimated. To balance the expectations of how a genuine carbon fiber tail light should appear on the car, save on r&d, ease the difficulty of installation, and still deliver a niche aftermarket product we felt this outcome was fair.

Tail_Light_Rear_Side.jpg

I really think everyone will be satisfied with the finished tail lights. If you feel the tail lights are not up to the description please feel free to contact me to resolve the matter. Thanks.

Last edited:
I really think everyone will be satisfied with the finished tail lights. If you feel the tail lights are not up to the description please feel free to contact me to resolve the matter. Thanks.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product, to be sure.

I'm just asking questions, because it seemed like the scope of the project has evolved as it has progressed.

Nice! How is the surround mounted, are you using a rubber adhesive? And is it removable without damaging the original surrounds?

Kofi,

Can you provide us some details to answer djp's question? What's the mounting solution here?

Thanks for bringing djp's post to my attention. They'll be mounted with VHB double sided tape; the same way as the MS trunk spoiler. For a more permanent look we can offer a stronger adhesive tape and for a temporary application a less adhesive tape.

As-is the tail lights actually fit pretty flush with almost no tolerance. No damage should occur installing or removing them. In reality they'd likely stay on just fine without tape but let's not find out.