Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket clutch pedal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was telling one guy about Tesla and he said "Yea, shame I can't get it in a manual." I explained there were no gears, but his response was "I like having a manual, it's more fun to drive."

Now, I've always had manual transmissions so I can empathize, but he really didn't seem to get the concept of not having a transmission at all vs. the transmission being an automatic.

I rarely have stop and go traffic, but when I do, I appreciate what it is like to NOT have to shift gears. I'm sure I will get used to it, and I'm glad there is a left foot rest. It's going to be odd the first few times.

The thought of going from 0 to 60 in less than 6 seconds I think is a little more appealing than the clutch...

(OP: Yes, I was joking.)

When I was in Germany recently I rented an Audi 6 Turbo Diesel with automatic on/off. The feature was not very well refined at all. Often at a stop the engine wouldn't go off immediately - instead turning off just as the light would go green. If you clutched and gassed right then, you'd get an awful knock. I would never own a car with such annoying behavior.

My '89 Civic was manual, and I liked it. When I got the Prius I kind of missed the fun of shifting, but quickly got used to the easier driving style.

It's not uncommon for people to ask questions about the Roadster, and one of the things I like to tell people is how quiet it is. Occasionally someone asks me to rev it up so they can hear it. I explain that the motor is always connected to the wheels, so the motor won't turn without the wheels turning, but some folks just don't get it. The idea of a car without a clutch is just too foreign for some people. I think they trip up on the idea of a car that can do zero to 60 in under 4 seconds, and do 120 mph, without shifting gears.

OTOH, the Prius is even harder to explain: The car can move with the ICE standing still, or the ICE can turn with the car standing still, and the car can even go backwards while the ICE turns forward, and yet there's no "reverse gear." No "shifting" of gears at all, and no component ever disengaged. Just the electronic manipulation of electricity to and from the two motor-generators and gas (or not) to the ICE.