TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Aftermarket clutch pedal

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kevincwelch, May 28, 2012.

1. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Anyone know where I can buy an aftermarket clutch pedal???? :wink:

I'm going to miss my 5-speed; I've never owned a car that didn't require manual shifting....

:tongue:

2. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Uh there are NO gears nor any transmission. It is direct drive from 0 to 125. There is nothing like it except maybe Warp drive on a starship.

3. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I'm pretty sure Kevin was joking.

4. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Was telling one guy about Tesla and he said "Yea, shame I can't get it in a manual." I explained there were no gears, but his response was "I like having a manual, it's more fun to drive."

Now, I've always had manual transmissions so I can empathize, but he really didn't seem to get the concept of not having a transmission at all vs. the transmission being an automatic.

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Imaging having 1st gear wind out to 70 miles an hour. EVen more fun!

6. kevincwelch

I rarely have stop and go traffic, but when I do, I appreciate what it is like to NOT have to shift gears. I'm sure I will get used to it, and I'm glad there is a left foot rest. It's going to be odd the first few times.

The thought of going from 0 to 60 in less than 6 seconds I think is a little more appealing than the clutch...

(OP: Yes, I was joking.)

7. kevincwelch

WRT Boston...I wonder if Ortiz will be getting a Tesla.

8. Mile Erlic

Mile Erlic Member

When I was in Germany recently I rented an Audi 6 Turbo Diesel with automatic on/off. The feature was not very well refined at all. Often at a stop the engine wouldn't go off immediately - instead turning off just as the light would go green. If you clutched and gassed right then, you'd get an awful knock. I would never own a car with such annoying behavior.

9. daniel

daniel Active Member

My '89 Civic was manual, and I liked it. When I got the Prius I kind of missed the fun of shifting, but quickly got used to the easier driving style.

It's not uncommon for people to ask questions about the Roadster, and one of the things I like to tell people is how quiet it is. Occasionally someone asks me to rev it up so they can hear it. I explain that the motor is always connected to the wheels, so the motor won't turn without the wheels turning, but some folks just don't get it. The idea of a car without a clutch is just too foreign for some people. I think they trip up on the idea of a car that can do zero to 60 in under 4 seconds, and do 120 mph, without shifting gears.

OTOH, the Prius is even harder to explain: The car can move with the ICE standing still, or the ICE can turn with the car standing still, and the car can even go backwards while the ICE turns forward, and yet there's no "reverse gear." No "shifting" of gears at all, and no component ever disengaged. Just the electronic manipulation of electricity to and from the two motor-generators and gas (or not) to the ICE.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

When I'm asked to rev the engine, I just say, "Sure, but stand back because I'll be going 100!"

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I say. "I am!"