Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket filter for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 model S didn't come with the HEPA filter upgrade and back then Tesla wouldn't sell me the upgrade after purchase. So I installed the 14x27.5x1 MERV 13 custom filter from filterbuy.com. It was $21.89 for one shipped to me in Denver. Today I got around to replacing the filter 1 year later and wanted to see how dirty it got in that time.

IMG_6034.jpg

The filter isn't as good as the $500 HEPA filter from Tesla and it doesn't come with a bioweapon defense mode button, but the air seems a lot cleaner than without any filter. When I first got my car I drove around for a month without anything and noticed smoke/smells in the cabin when stuck in traffic. Especially when behind rolling coal pickups. The MERV 13 filter didn't completely eliminate everything, but I noticed a substantial improvement. And looking at the filter after one year I'm glad I have something in there. I might go with the Tesla HEPA filter next time as clean air really is important, but I'd like to find out how often they need to be replaced and how much replacements are first.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
I just installed the exact same filter you have there and from the looks of your old filter, I would stick with a 1 year replacement interval. When I called the local service center, there were selling the HEPA filters for close to $200.

I also swapped out my cabin filter not too long ago for the first time and it was filthy! This is on a 2017 75D with 22k miles. WIth the Merv filter in place, the cabin filter might stay cleaner for a longer period of time.

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping to hear from others who did the aftermarket filter. I was also thinking maybe go with a MERV 8 or 11 and combine it with a sheet of activated carbon. They sell it on amazon. Not sure if that would be better.