Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Hitch Installation for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you all for this thread. I have mounted a Stealthitch on my Dual Motor LR M3, and am about to take delivery on a small Teardrop trailer, which will come with a 7-pin connector. I can use an adapter to connect to the 4-pin on the M3, but it sure would be nice have an 7-pin on the M3, so I could keep the trailer battery topped off. Is it possible to mount a working 7-pin outlet on the M3?

Yes. The only addition to my instructions would be to splice into the reverse wires of the taillights.

Tesla Says Model 3 & Model Y Will Both Be Equipped To Tow

Reports that Model Y will be equipped to tow and that theModel 3 will eventually get a tow bar too,

But why arent Tesla approving the Model S for towing? What is the real issue here?

I would really love to tow with my MS. And I cant buy the M3 with tow hitch as I need the boot space in MS for my dogs. And I think it`s not an option to trade in and buy a MX.

Why leave out MS on the towing when both MX and M3 can tow now?

Have Tesla mentioned why?

But why arent Tesla approving the Model S for towing? What is the real issue here?

I would really love to tow with my MS. And I cant buy the M3 with tow hitch as I need the boot space in MS for my dogs. And I think it`s not an option to trade in and buy a MX.

Why leave out MS on the towing when both MX and M3 can tow now?

Have Tesla mentioned why?

Good question. While I have enjoyed my aftermarket hitch, a factory-installed option would be nice.

Im not trying to hijack any thread, this is just as valid for the older Model 3 before the tow bar became an option.

Instead of using resources on fart software and games, Tesla should use resources to develop their cars, so customers can further utilize them. Many people would love the tow option. For all models.

Instead of using resources on fart software and games, Tesla should use resources to develop their cars, so customers can further utilize them. Many people would love the tow option. For all models.
Heh, the interns that created the fart app would not be working on towing capability. ;)
Best thing to do is let Tesla know your preferences and hope it happens.

Folks often ask me about range loss when towing my tiny 265-lb. camping trailer with my Model 3, so this morning I decided to conduct another towing test with and without the trailer. This time I opted to drive to Kolob Canyons in Zion National Park, since the outbound trip includes a daunting 1,854 foot climb at freeway speeds. The entire round trip was 86 miles: 24 city miles at ~45 MPH, and 62 interstate miles at ~80 MPH. For whatever they're worth, here are the results from the experiment:
towtest.jpg

Folks often ask me about range loss when towing my tiny 265-lb. camping trailer with my Model 3, so this morning I decided to conduct another towing test with and without the trailer. This time I opted to drive to Kolob Canyons in Zion National Park, since the outbound trip includes a daunting 1,854 foot climb at freeway speeds. The entire round trip was 86 miles: 24 city miles at ~45 MPH, and 62 interstate miles at ~80 MPH. For whatever they're worth, here are the results from the experiment:
View attachment 544490

Love this data! Anyone else have similar data?

I’m debating installing a hitch on my 3 to haul my MX bike. Total load would be ~500 lbs. but the kicker is my round trip would be 164 miles. So feels like it would be cutting it pretty close!

I’ve also yet to see anything close to 260 w/mi!

Reactions: Yanquetino
View attachment 544490
Nice test. Your little camper is pretty aerodynamic when collapsed. I have a 5' x 6.5' trailer and I've noticed similar energy consumption (near 400 Wh/m) at 65 MPH for 140 miles whether it was empty (trailer weight of 500lb) or hauling a 700lb lawn tractor (combined weight of 1200lb). I believe wind drag has a bigger effect than weight when it comes to trailers. 395 Wh/m for a lower profile load in my trailer with the solid front tailgate down, vs

I’m debating installing a hitch on my 3 to haul my MX bike. Total load would be ~500 lbs. but the kicker is my round trip would be 164 miles. So feels like it would be cutting it pretty close!

I’ve also yet to see anything close to 260 w/mi!
I have a 5' wide x 6.5' long utility trailer with 2 foot sides and a mesh tailgate to drive up lawn tractor or ATV. It weighs around 500 lbs. My energy consumption driving about 144 miles to my Dad's house at 65 MPH was around 400 Wh/m. One time I took him a 700 lb lawn tractor with it and my consumption wasn't that much higher (I think it was around 410-420 Wh/m). I believe that aerodynamics have a bigger role than weight when it comes to energy consumption. Yanquetino's pop-up camper is low profile and lightweight. Always make sure that you air up the trailer tires to the recommended PSI for the load (It can be 85-105 PSI) so that they don't overheat and fail and to reduce rolling resistance.

Here is a picture of when I used the trailer to pull a lawn tractor and a mower deck (from another tractor).
IMG_20190502_125759.jpg
I don't have record of the energy graph for that trip because I had to stop multiple times to use the bathroom, and once to Supercharge and the energy graph resets when you stop. I just kind of remember that the energy consumption was around 410-420 Wh/m at 65 MPH in the summer. I'm sure using the Aero wheels or FastWheels EV01+ wheels would reduce that consumption by 4% (or 16.2-16.5 Wh/m).

Here is the planned energy graph from another time I took the same trip with an empty trailer.
IMG_20190718_160214.jpg
And here is the actual energy graph at the end of the trip showing how it diverged from it's original expectation. Edit: I did have a bathroom stop so the energy graph doesn't show the whole trip, but you can see the end part diverge.
IMG_20190718_190717.jpg

Your little camper is pretty aerodynamic when collapsed.
Yes, 'tis! Very low profile, which really helps. Perhaps I should add that the test above was a "worst case" scenario, given the climb in elevation and 80 MPH speeds on the freeway.

On a camping trip to Kodachrome Basin last year, driving backroads at 55-to-65 MPH, we arrived at the camp site averaging 277 Wh/mi instead of our usual 242 Wh/mi. That calculates to about a 14% loss in range. Not bad!

Reactions: android04
Here is a picture of when I used the trailer to pull a lawn tractor and a mower deck (from another tractor).
View attachment 544777
I don't have record of the energy graph for that trip because I had to stop multiple times to use the bathroom, and once to Supercharge and the energy graph resets when you stop. I just kind of remember that the energy consumption was around 410-420 Wh/m at 65 MPH in the summer. I'm sure using the Aero wheels or FastWheels EV01+ wheels would reduce that consumption by 4% (or 16.2-16.5 Wh/m).

Here is the planned energy graph from another time I took the same trip with an empty trailer.
View attachment 544779
And here is the actual energy graph at the end of the trip showing how it diverged from it's original expectation. Edit: I did have a bathroom stop so the energy graph doesn't show the whole trip, but you can see the end part diverge.
View attachment 544780

Thanks for sharing this... that math might just work. I have a very similar trailer but no front and slate sides and gate. Haul a small MX bike and no solid front likely mean limited drag.

Do you recall the cost of your stealth hitch?

Here is another comparison, if it helps. I went back and checked my records from a camping trip we took to Kodachrome Basin last summer. The range loss was -16% after ascending the canyons on that outbound trip. Curiously, on the return trip, the descent added 1% to the range.

Lees-ure Lite Kodachrome kWhːmi.jpg

Also, as a side note for other Tesla campers, when I bought our tiny camp trailer, I ordered it with an A/C kit, but never got around to installing the removable bracket until last week. Here's a photo of the result. As the globe continues to warm, we might appreciate having this accessory in the future.

Lees-ure Lite AC 800x600.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Misterbee
I never liked where the safety chains attach on the stealth hitch so I took it down to my local welder and had them weld a half circle of steel to each side of the hitch. Now if the trailer detaches the safety chains are not going to rip the back bumper cover off. Much better solution. $50 to get the loops welded on, then I touched it up with spray paint

IMG_20200916_122457599 (1).jpg
IMG_20200916_123455202.jpg

Good modification! I've always thought the the poorest design of the hitch was the difficult-to-use placement and shape of the safety chain loops. On my hitch, I just opted to attach detachable chain links to the loops, tuck them up inside when not towing, but attach the safety chains to those links when towing. Works pretty well, but your solution is better.