TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Aftermarket HUD options?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by McFlurri, Mar 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. McFlurri

McFlurri Member

Hey everyone,

So after 2 years of waiting I finally got to sit in my first Model 3 today! (Toronto Yorkdale Mall). Absolutely sold me on this car. Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie!

Anyways... last week I test drove the Hyundai KONA (as the EV version should be coming out soon and I wanted to physically see it). The one awesome take away was that It has a HUD that is amazing.

After my time in the Model 3 I would still like to see if there are any options for an aftermarket HUD.. but I'm pretty sure there is no ODB-II port.. so... are there actually any options out there that will work? (other than using my phone and some weird mirroring device)

Thanks!

2. Buddyroe

Buddyroe Member

I guarantee you after you drive the 3 for a week, you won't even consider adding a HUD.

3. McFlurri

McFlurri Member

I must say the position of the screen surprised me. I really do like it.. but .. like.. the HUD is just so cool! I've never had a car with one before lol

4. fseir

fseir Member

The 2018 Camry also has an optional HUD that looks pretty good.

With 500,000 model 3’s soon to be on the road, surely someone will develop a good aftermarket HUD, specifically designed for it. Would probably need to be phone driven, which I’m fine with, as I’d rather use Waze for navigation, anyway.

Does anyone know if HUDs, like the Camry’s, require something special in the windshield (reflective coating)?

5. majestic_m00se

6. McFlurri

McFlurri Member

That looks perfect! Thsnks for sharing☺

7. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

#7 SpiceWare, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    I like that, though wonder how well it'll actually work.

iPhone in landscape mode, as they show on the site:
    IMG_0410.JPG

iPhone in portrait mode, as it would be when you've docked it in the 3 to keep it charged:
    IMG_0411.JPG

So the info would only show up in the middle third of the HUD.

The mouse pointer's due to that being on the Mac mini DVR that drives my HDTV (I cut the cord back in 2013). I have AirServer installed it in to provide AirPlay, Google Cast, and Miracast support.

8. gregd

gregd Active Member

If anybody with a Model 3 has a knack for logging CAN bus activity, please get in touch with me by PM... No guarantees, but there may be options :).

• Like x 2