Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket HUD options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

So after 2 years of waiting I finally got to sit in my first Model 3 today! (Toronto Yorkdale Mall). Absolutely sold me on this car. Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie!

Anyways... last week I test drove the Hyundai KONA (as the EV version should be coming out soon and I wanted to physically see it). The one awesome take away was that It has a HUD that is amazing.

After my time in the Model 3 I would still like to see if there are any options for an aftermarket HUD.. but I'm pretty sure there is no ODB-II port.. so... are there actually any options out there that will work? (other than using my phone and some weird mirroring device)

Thanks!

The 2018 Camry also has an optional HUD that looks pretty good.

With 500,000 model 3’s soon to be on the road, surely someone will develop a good aftermarket HUD, specifically designed for it. Would probably need to be phone driven, which I’m fine with, as I’d rather use Waze for navigation, anyway.

Does anyone know if HUDs, like the Camry’s, require something special in the windshield (reflective coating)?

I like that, though wonder how well it'll actually work.

iPhone in landscape mode, as they show on the site:
IMG_0410.JPG

iPhone in portrait mode, as it would be when you've docked it in the 3 to keep it charged:
IMG_0411.JPG

So the info would only show up in the middle third of the HUD.

The mouse pointer's due to that being on the Mac mini DVR that drives my HDTV (I cut the cord back in 2013). I have AirServer installed it in to provide AirPlay, Google Cast, and Miracast support.

Last edited:
The 2018 Camry also has an optional HUD that looks pretty good.

With 500,000 model 3’s soon to be on the road, surely someone will develop a good aftermarket HUD, specifically designed for it. Would probably need to be phone driven, which I’m fine with, as I’d rather use Waze for navigation, anyway.

Does anyone know if HUDs, like the Camry’s, require something special in the windshield (reflective coating)?
Except that this is a Tesla forum. There are many HUD systems and we don't need videos of all of them. What possible use could an introduction to Toyota's HUD serve here?

I wouldn't consider an aftermarket HUD, but a well integrated HUD by Tesla would be very useful IMO, in particular for things that are either inconvenient or don't draw enough attention on the screen:

- navigation instructions (require looking far to the right on the screen today)
- turn signal indicator (I see way too many Model 3s where the drivers forget to turn the blinker off after a lane change because they overlook the little green icon)
- lane change suggestions in Navigate on Autopilot; currently difficult to monitor if you pay attention to the road as you should
- blindspot warning (the red line on the screen is overlooked too easily)
- redundancy: having another way to display crucial information such as speed, drive mode and blinkers would allow basic operation of the car if the screen fails

I agree though that viewing the information displayed on the left of the screen is easy enough.

Reactions: Rla