Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Illuminated Door Sills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you notice any scuffing on the sill covers, after some time? Or even worse scratches on the underside of the door?

cc: @P3dStealth @GreenHokie @PauliePucks @lUtriaNt @LBM4 @Delraybeach @Gibb

These are mine after about 1 month of use. Not sure if they are too thick or it's my door alignment. Some sides are worse than others.

Attachments

• IMG_3260.jpg
    IMG_3260.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3261.jpg
    IMG_3261.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 80
Do you notice any scuffing on the sill covers, after some time? Or even worse scratches on the underside of the door?

cc: @P3dStealth @GreenHokie @PauliePucks @lUtriaNt @LBM4 @Delraybeach @Gibb

These are mine after about 1 month of use. Not sure if they are too thick or it's my door alignment. Some sides are worse than others.
I don't recall seeing any issues with mine. You bought the ones that slide over the original, correct?
I'm willing to bet that some doors are lower that others. Gaps on Tesla's can vary by several mm's, and yours could very will be rubbing, whilst most other people have no issues.

I don't recall seeing any issues with mine. You bought the ones that slide over the original, correct?
I'm willing to bet that some doors are lower that others. Gaps on Tesla's can vary by several mm's, and yours could very will be rubbing, whilst most other people have no issues.

Yes, mine are the ones that slide over for the front, the rear ones lie directly on the sill. Even if I were to remove the original plates on the front and re-attach them directly to the metal, the rear has the worst scuffing. So I am not sure how I would address that, aside from having to adjust the door panel -- which seems to be very difficult.

Yes, mine are the ones that slide over for the front, the rear ones lie directly on the sill. Even if I were to remove the original plates on the front and re-attach them directly to the metal, the rear has the worst scuffing. So I am not sure how I would address that, aside from having to adjust the door panel -- which seems to be very difficult.
I don't believe there is any way to address it, without removing the door itself and either adjusting the gap at the bottom to make it wider, therefore pushing the door up or modifying the bottom of the door itself. Not worth it IMO, for zero gain.

I just checked both my 2019 M3P and 2023 MYP. Definitely no scuff marks on any of the aftermarket door sills.
As @LBM4 said, perhaps your door alignment is slightly off (low), causing the bottom of the doors to make contact with sill plates.

I have an idea and possible fix, but need you to take a look at and a photo of your doors. Below are a few pics of my MYP. Second photo is just a close-up of the first photo.
What I‘m trying to determine is, whether the bottom edges of your doors are fairly flush with the top edge of your plastic rocker panels.
On my MYP, the two edges (bottom edge of door and top corner of plastic rocker) are flush with each other. However, I’ve seen a few other MY’s where the bottom edge of the doors are tilted too far inwards when in the closed position, which makes the top corner/lip of the plastic rock panel more exposed/visible when the doors are closed. This inward tilt will certainly put the bottom side/surface of the door closer to the sill plate. If what I described above is the reason you’re getting the scuff marks on your sills, then the fix (door adjustment) is pretty easy.

IMG_7161.jpeg

IMG_7160.jpeg

I just checked both my 2019 M3P and 2023 MYP. Definitely no scuff marks on any of the aftermarket door sills.
As @LBM4 said, perhaps your door alignment is slightly off (low), causing the bottom of the doors to make contact with sill plates.

I have an idea and possible fix, but need you to take a look at and a photo of your doors. Below are a few pics of my MYP. Second photo is just a close-up of the first photo.
What I‘m trying to determine is, whether the bottom edges of your doors are fairly flush with the top edge of your plastic rocker panels.
On my MYP, the two edges (bottom edge of door and top corner of plastic rocker) are flush with each other. However, I’ve seen a few other MY’s where the bottom edge of the doors are tilted too far inwards when in the closed position, which makes the top corner/lip of the plastic rock panel more exposed/visible when the doors are closed. This inward tilt will certainly put the bottom side/surface of the door closer to the sill plate. If what I described above is the reason you’re getting the scuff marks on your sills, then the fix (door adjustment) is pretty easy.

View attachment 939049

View attachment 939051

Interesting ideas... I'll take a look and report back!

Attachments

• IMG_3284.jpeg
    IMG_3284.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3285.jpeg
    IMG_3285.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3332.jpeg
    IMG_3332.jpeg
    579.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3331.jpeg
    IMG_3331.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3333.jpeg
    IMG_3333.jpeg
    508.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3334.jpeg
    IMG_3334.jpeg
    994.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3335.jpeg
    IMG_3335.jpeg
    981.4 KB · Views: 45
Before I even saw the pics with the door sill scratched up, I could tell the back, bottom portion of your door was gonna hit and scratch the sills.
I'm also guessing your seeing scratches in the clear coat on the door?

Before I even saw the pics with the door sill scratched up, I could tell the back, bottom portion of your door was gonna hit and scratch the sills.
I'm also guessing your seeing scratches in the clear coat on the door?

Yes door clear coat is starting to look a bit scuffed up. Any recommendations? I talked to Hannsow and they’re sending me a replacement set.

Curious as to what @GreenHokie meant by possible easy fix. I really want to get this working right. Think the service center might take care of it?

Yes door clear coat is starting to look a bit scuffed up. Any recommendations? I talked to Hannsow and they’re sending me a replacement set.

Curious as to what @GreenHokie meant by possible easy fix. I really want to get this working right. Think the service center might take care of it?
Nope. Tesla won't do anything, as your doors are "within tolerance" of specs. That's the nice way of telling you to pound sand. 😂 Plus, you are adding aftermarket parts, that are causing the issues. Tesla won't touch it.

@GreenHokie @LBM4

The rockers don’t look perfectly aligned, but also not sticking out too far. What do you think? Here are some pics:

So, in a couple of your photos, it appears that the bottom part of your door is set too far inward.
Below, I have marked up one of your photos with a yellow line to indicate where the bottom edge of your door should be positioned, when viewed from the same angle where you took this photo.

IMG_0707.jpeg

So, what you need to do is pivot/pull the door to bring the bottom edge back out to where I’ve drawn the yellow line. This will slightly increase the gap between bottom side/surface of the door and the sill plate.… which will hopefully eliminate the contact/scraping problem you’re having. To adjust the door, you simply loosen the two bolts that I‘ve highlighted below with yellow arrows. Note, loosen but do NOT remove these bolts. I suggest loosening the bolts a little bit at a time. In other words, loosen the bolts a little…then see if the door will move inwards or outwards when you pull on it. If it does not, then loosen the bolts a little more and then try pulling on the door again.
It will probably take you a few tries to get the door position where you want it (1. loosen bolts, 2. make a fine adjustment to the door position, 3. tighten bolts, 4. shut door to see where everything lines up, then repeat steps 1-4 as needed).

IMG_7162.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PauliePucks
So, I just noticed what may be a more serious problem with one of your doors. Below, I have edited and attached one of your previous photos. I believe this particular photo you took, is the rear passenger door.
I have added arrows to highlight the areas of interest/concern.
The green arrows indicate areas with a normal/proper alignment of the door with the edge of your rocker panel.
The red arrows indicate areas where the alignment/position of the door is way off. You can clearly see a huge gap between the edge of the door and the lip/corners of the rocker panel. To me, this indicates that your door is actually bent/deformed inward in this area.

For comparison, I took a photo of the rear passenger door on my red MYP. Refer to the second photo attached below. I tried to take this photo at the same position/angle that you took your photo. As you can see, all the edges of my door line up pretty well with the edges of the rocker panel, and I don’t have a huge gap around the bottom rear corner, like you do. So, unless there is some type of optical illusion in your photo, I would say the rear bottom corner of your door is bent in by quite a bit. If so, this cannot be corrected with the door alignment procedure I mentioned in my above post, or any door alignment procedure for that matter.
You should probably get Tesla to take a look at this particular door. Hopefully, they won’t tell you it is “within the normal spec/tolerance”…

IMG_0709.jpeg

IMG_7180.jpeg

Last edited:
So, I just noticed what may be a more serious problem with one of your doors. Below, I have edited and attached one of your previous photos. I believe this particular photo you took, is the rear passenger door.
I have added arrows to highlight the areas of interest/concern.
The green arrows indicate areas with a normal/proper alignment of the door with the edge of your rocker panel.
The red arrows indicate areas where the alignment/position of the door is way off. You can clearly see a huge gap between the edge of the door and the lip/corners of the rocker panel. To me, this indicates that your door is actually bent/deformed inward in this area.

For comparison, I took a photo of the rear passenger door on my red MYP. Refer to the second photo attached below. I tried to take this photo at the same position/angle that you took your photo. As you can see, all the edges of my door line up pretty well with the edges of the rocker panel, and I don’t have a huge gap around the bottom rear corner, like you do. So, unless there is some type of optical illusion in your photo, I would say the rear bottom corner of your door is bent in by quite a bit. If so, this cannot be corrected with the door alignment procedure I mentioned in my above post, or any door alignment procedure for that matter.
You should probably get Tesla to take a look at this particular door. Hopefully, they won’t tell you it is “within the normal spec/tolerance”…

View attachment 940023

View attachment 940027
You are correct about that being the rear passenger-side door. However, after taking another look, the scuffing is not as bad on that side. It is the rear driver-side door where the damage is worst. See the new pics i took. Notice the rocker is almost perfectly flush and the door looks well aligned overall. Also notice the heavy scuffing on the sill and where it is starting to scrape the base coat. So if it is not the alignment... not really sure what I can do, aside from maybe modify the hannsow stuff to make it thinner.

@funphax I too don’t really want to mess with the bolts on the door, myself! Worried I might make it worse.

Attachments

• IMG_3346.jpeg
    IMG_3346.jpeg
    309.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3345.jpeg
    IMG_3345.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3344.jpeg
    IMG_3344.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3342.jpeg
    IMG_3342.jpeg