Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Illuminated Door Sills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would order the Amazon magnets right away. They’re only $10 and so they’re cheap insurance. Even the Local Tesla service people here mentioned to me they have difficulty in installation due to the exacting alignment needed between the sill piece area and the magnet activator piece placed on the bottom part of the door. There may not even be a 1 mm margin for error. Larger magnets make sense anyway - bigger surface area which also makes them slightly lower/closer to the activation area on the sill. This is what the OEM design should have been in the first place; a larger, thicker activator door magnet creates a much wider margin for a better chance at connection.
I ordered them. Lucky it's 1 day shipping, so they'll be here tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

You may need the larger magnet for the Tesla branded sills, but if you ordered the aftermarket ones like I did, then definitely do not need larger magnets. Use the supplied tiny magnets and guide ring to position underneath the doors and you literally cannot mess it up. Super easy and works (lights up) every time. Kudos to this aftermarket company for figuring out an ingenious & super easy way to install their product.
Yes, that seems to be the generally good experience that folks have had with the after market product. But, once I went down the OEM road, the rather simple analysis of the problem is to create a much bigger margin of error to the alignment of the door and sill magnet connection activation point using a much, much bigger 1.3 inch round magnet. The OEM one is noticeably smaller than the size of a dime. It’s a ridiculous design. Either one is a nice look for the car

Yes, that seems to be the generally good experience that folks have had with the after market product. But, once I went down the OEM road, the rather simple analysis of the problem is to create a much bigger margin of error to the alignment of the door and sill magnet connection activation point using a much, much bigger 1.3 inch round magnet. The OEM one is noticeably smaller than the size of a dime. It’s a ridiculous design. Either one is a nice look for the car
Well, I bought the aftermarket version for $85 from AliExpress, and it took 2 minutes to install. The magnet placement is a super simple idea and the magnet itself is tiny, but works every time. This door sill literally just goes over the stock one and looks really good. Couldn't be happier, especially at 1/3 the cost and ease of install. I'm returning the magnets from Amazon, as they aren't needed.
PXL_20220320_204659826.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt and Durzel
I have the Hansshow ones and absolutely love them. They’re definitely worth it. They’re OEM quality and the install is a breezeView attachment 768785
*sugar*, I need car guys in my life like the kind I see all over the internet... Being a car loving chick from a family of materialistic barbie women I've not exactly had the sorts of influences to learn from that I'd like in life when it comes to practical life skills.... I have to ask, where did you get the puddle lights???

There are many places for Tesla after market items. A basic google search will get you there. I used ABSTRACTOCEAN.COM.

*sugar*, I need car guys in my life like the kind I see all over the internet... Being a car loving chick from a family of materialistic barbie women I've not exactly had the sorts of influences to learn from that I'd like in life when it comes to practical life skills.... I have to ask, where did you get the puddle lights???
All my interior lights are from Abstract Ocean (footwells, puddles, trunk, glovebox)

Their quality is great, customer service is excellent, their lights are RoHS compliant and CE certified

With the puddle lights especially - don’t buy anything cheap, what a lot of people don’t realize is that the power source for those lights is tied into your window and if the cheap light fails, so does your window, and you can connect the dots from there.

Here’s another pic of their footwell lights that I have installed.

You can go with any company you’d like, I don’t work for abstract ocean or anything like that, I can only vouch for their products as I’ve used them exclusively for the reasons I gave above. The only lighting product that is not from abstract ocean is my console & dash, they’re from a company called SUMK (you can read the model 3 interior lighting thread, tons of good info & reviews on those products)

Also, if you’re in NJ I’d be happy to help you install any lighting stuff!

Attachments

• B0B75076-E9BC-42D8-A9D4-C7D917BB68BA.jpeg
    B0B75076-E9BC-42D8-A9D4-C7D917BB68BA.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 117

This website is selling the sills both front and rear for $82.99 right now with promo code on front page. Cheapest I have seen for all four.

They are also on aliexpress.

This website is selling the sills both front and rear for $82.99 right now with promo code on front page. Cheapest I have seen for all four.

Just received them today and took like 10 minutes to install, definity worth it. Will take pictures when it gets dark later tonight

Reactions: LBM4

Going to give these a try, for 80ish $ for 4 doors its worth the risk

Hey Everyone. I installed these aftermarket door sills this weekend and thought I would share some thoughts/photos. These are not the Tesla branded sill plates, but ones that are sold by Hansshow and many other distributors/retailers. In my opinion, these are just as good if not better than the Tesla one in many aspects. Like the Tesla ones, these are battery powered (with two slim CR2032 or CR2430 batteries per sill plate).
Unlike the Tesla ones, you get all four (front and rear) sill plates for around $150. I bought mine for $128 delivered, but that was before everyone raised their prices. Link to the product I bought provided below.

The front sills simply fit over and completely cover the stock plates, which makes installation super easy/quick. No need to pry off your existing Tesla supplied sill plates, which is obviously a big plus. I was initially concerned the front aftermarket sill plates would end up sitting too high, because they go on top of the existing plates. However, I am happy to report they do not look bulky or thick at all. The fitment is perfect in every way. No gaps between the bottom of these sill plates and the surface of the vehicle. So, the end result is a very clean and OEM looking product. The rear sill plates require a little eyeballing/freehand to get them in the appropriate spot, but still extremely easy to install. The supplied temporary guide stickers make positioning & lining up the rears very simple. There are several YouTube videos showing how to install these aftermarket illuminated sill plates. So, check them out if you decide to get these.

A couple of pointers:
1. Once you have used the supplied black foam guide ring to position & tape the small magnet to the underside of the door, remove/discard that black foam guide ring. The kit will also be supplied with precut round clear tape that you use to cover/protect the small magnet. See the last photo attached below. That clear tape will ensure the magnet will not fall off accidentally after prolonged use or during routine washings when you clean/wipe the underside of your doors.
2. Discard the supplied CR2032 batteries and buy yourself some new (& good quality) CR2430 batteries. The battery compartment in these sill plates accepts either of these sizes. The slightly larger CR2430 batteries have a higher capacity and therefore will last longer than CR2032 batteries. This means you won’t have to change out the batteries as often. Of course, the drawback with all these battery operated sill plates is you have to remove the entire sill plate to access/replace the batteries. Removal will not likely be easy/quick and you’ll also probably need to replace the double-sided tape every time you remove the sill plate. A small price to pay for some bling, IMO.

View attachment 768621

View attachment 768622

View attachment 768623
Wow--those look awesome!