Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

aftermarket keyfob programming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TBH I never knew such a thing existed! Not sure I like the idea of a bootleg key given that you have no idea how rigorously the crypto engines were seeded at the factory. Whilst they may have chosen a seed at random, using that seed for every key produced might mean that your car can be unlocked by any of those keys made by that manufacturer.

This is highly oversimplified, but I reckon the principle is sound...

I have never seen an aftermarket key fob. If you are referring to a key fob obtained from a 3rd party, I'm sure that some the residential codeing gurus here could possibly do it. I had a fob replaced at my service center recently and they told me that they have to get authorization to program a new fob. I have no idea if that is true or not.

How long did this programming take. I just destroyed one of mine (hint: Don't leave them on the roof of the car...) and need to get it replaced. The service center suggested a Mobile Ranger visit and that it could take a few hours which just doesn't make any sense.

It was quoted as time at the SC but I will find out today as indeed a ranger is coming out.

Tesla service center successfully programed the key fob, yeah!

Hello,
I lost my key fob along with my purse. I called the mobile service manager and she told me the replacement would be $235 plus tax.
She claimed to have no knowledge of how I could program a replacement purchased from a third party. Did the service center program your aftermarket key at no cost? Have you had any issues with your aftermarket key fob?