Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Michelin Pilot Sport EV - 255/40/20 vs 255/45/20

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I wanted to change my Model Y Gemini 19" tyres and wheels to 20", which tyre size would you recommend?

255/40/20 (this is OEM size for 20" on Model Y)
or
255/45/20

The latter definitely fits but does throw speedo out by around 2% (which isn't much).

The tyre I will be getting, regardless of size, is Michelin Pilot Sport EV.

The wheels will be custom wheels to exactly match the Model Y OEM specs (20x9.5, +45 offset, 5/114.3 PCD and 64.1mm Center Bore).

Thoughts?

If I wanted to change my Model Y Gemini 19" tyres and wheels to 20", which tyre size would you recommend?

255/40/20 (this is OEM size for 20" on Model Y)
or
255/45/20

The latter definitely fits but does throw speedo out by around 2% (which isn't much).

The tyre I will be getting, regardless of size, is Michelin Pilot Sport EV.

The wheels will be custom wheels to exactly match the Model Y OEM specs (20x9.5, +45 offset, 5/114.3 PCD and 64.1mm Center Bore).

Thoughts?

I wouldn't recommend trading the 19" to the 20" unless you are on really smooth roads. For ride quality, 18" seems best. I have the 19" Gemini and am eager to replace my OEM tires for something with a higher sidewall. Smaller sidewalls lead to a harsher ride.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

Thanks but I've already done my research on that matter. Am definitely going 20"....just don't know what size tyres I should go out of the 2 I have listed in my first post
Maybe things are different there; here in the US TireRack.com is only showing the new Michelin Pilot Sport EV tire as being available in size 255/40R-20.

Get the factory size, it'll look weird and the speedo will be off with anything different.
Thanks, yeah I'll probably go that way to be safe.

I've read lots of posts and pretty much all of them have said the slightly bigger tyre is superior in ever way (and looks better too)...haven't read anything of anyone going to that size and not liking it as much.

Even though the speedo would be 2% difference (not much), it would probably still annoy me.

America’s tire has these listed as an option for the 20”

PIRELLIP ZERO AS PLUS ELECT255 /40 R20 105Y XL BSW

Also has a 50k warranty. Anyone have experience with these or thoughts?

I noticed the Goodyear OEM tires don’t have mileage warranties on them. It’d be nice to prorate when purchasing a new set.