TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Aftermarket paint protection

Discussion in 'Model S' started by kuttakamina, May 31, 2015.

?

What do you do to keep your Model S nice and shiny?

1. I got XPEL or similar put on (partial or full coverage)

44 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. I got opticoat or cQuartz or similar put on

33 vote(s)
    31.7%
  3. I just wash and wax it, its just a car

22 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. I don't own a Model S, but have a valuable opinion to share.

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. kuttakamina

kuttakamina Member

Just trying to get an idea how many Model S owners thought it was worth the expense of getting aftermarket paint protection.

2. ra-san

ra-san Member

Would take the poll but you don't have an option for both xpel and a coating, and there is a big difference between partial film and full film in terms of cost, if not also looks and coverage. For the record, full xpel ultimate + cquartz on top.

3. kuttakamina

kuttakamina Member

Yes, which is why they are different options in the poll (xpel and coating).
    Yes there is a difference in cost between full and partial, but I was trying to keep the poll simple.

4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Well I'd answer, but I only have a Roadster. Y'know. That first car Tesla made.

:)

5. kuttakamina

kuttakamina Member

Would appreciate your perspective. Roadster is a nice car, worth protecting.

6. No2DinosaurFuel

It looks like the Xpel doesn't seem to hard to install. Any thoughts on self-installation of the Xpel and cQuartz for ultimate protection?

ALso will this be a 1 time thing where you will never have to detail your car ever again?

7. ra-san

ra-san Member

But the poll doesn't allow multiple choice, so you won't get correct answers from anyone with both.

8. kuttakamina

kuttakamina Member

Good point! That is why I worded it as "I got XPEL or similar put on (partial or full coverage)" .. if you have XPEL, even if it is the front bumper, the vote goes on XPEL.

9. ra-san

ra-san Member

Check the other threads on this topic for way more information, but would not recommend do it yourself if you haven't already had experience. And nothing is ever a one time thing, no matter some of the marketing (but even that wouldn't call it permanently permanent :) ). The nano coatings will take less upkeep than just washing and waxing but don't last forever. They get pitted, contaminated, and just plain dirty too. But better them than your paint/clearcoat

- - - Updated - - -

It was more the example of getting a full wrap then coating on top I didn't see a clear option for. Anyway, just providing feedback, and already gave my answer in text in the first post. The question of coating plus wrap always comes up when this is discussed, so was trying to help you get the best feedback before the poll got a lot of views. Regardless, hope you get the data you're looking for.

10. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

you missed a bullet option. i have both XPEL and permanent coatings.

11. kuttakamina

kuttakamina Member

Yes thats a point that ra-san raised as well.
    Just vote on xpel then.

My thought there was, very few people get full xpel.
    And those who do get partial xpel, will most probably get opticoat etc. on rest of the surface.

Apparently I suck at creating good poll choices, but please vote on xpel if you have any xpel (or similar) on your car.

12. yobigd20

whoops I already voted 'opticoat or cQuartz or similar' I have partial XPEL (full front) but put 2 coats of 22ple on the entire car hence the reason I chose that option instead since it was the larger coverage area.

13. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

I'm in the process now of trying to figure this out myself. I have read a lot about Opti-Coat Pro. It's "good" from what my detailer is telling me, but this Gtechniq Crystal Serum or something like that, is "great" and costs another $500.

In Florida, we have 2 lovebug seasons each year - for those of you that know what I'm talking about, you'll understand the need for some sort of protection. Watching this thread closely and appreciate everyone's input as well.

14. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Have you looked into Nanohide?
    And for the general audience, has anyone used Nanohide?

AUTO PRO | Nanohide

I'm installing it next week if my delivery is on time...

15. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I've never heard of xpel or any other paint protection before TMC. It peaked my interest, but I'm still undecided with what I'm going to do (if anything).

16. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

Is there something that's good out there that you can install yourself? Or, in order to get the warranty, you have to have a professional put it on?

I'm looking at $1700 for the initial install of the Gtechniq Serum and then a $300 annual "refresher". That sounds like a bit overkill to me. Thoughts?

17. caps04

caps04 Member

I have nothing installed but 2.5 months of ownership and just one road trip, I have:

1) Swirl marks all over the car due to a crappy hand wash place
    2) Scratches on the bottom of one door
    3) 3 chip marks each with a diameter of a few centimeters. The paint in those "holes" is all gone.

At this rate, I will have to seriously consider XPEL in the near future. It's either my bad luck or the paint+MC Red is very "soft".

18. yobigd20

Yep that's just how easy it is to damage the paint. It doesn't take much to destroy the car.

19. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I had the old Tesla-applied partial StarShield removed from my Roadster last month (it was yellowing and dull) and replaced with Xpel Ultimate (full). Car looks better than new, as this quick iPhone shot shows when I first brought it home on Friday. I'll post more pictures over in the regional thread when I get a set from the installer (Appearance Solutions in Sacramento) - but this is how a 4 1/2 year old Roadster looks. And, afaik, Roadster paint is far softer than Model S paint. My understanding is it needed to be, to flex with the carbon fiber body panels.

Screen Shot 2015-05-30 at 7.03.27 AM.png

20. NorCalSJ

NorCalSJ Member

same here