Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Racing Performance brake rotors - weight loss w/better heat dissipation at a steep price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correction: front and rear pads, front rotors (i.e. rear rotors not replaced).

Code:
$160.00 Parts | 8008242-00-A FR BRAKE CALIPER, SPORT, LINING KIT
$160.00 Parts | 8008246-00-A RR BRAKE CALIPER, SPORT, LINING KIT
$300.00 Parts | 1044616-00-D BRAKE ROTOR, FRONT, SPORT BIMATERIAL
$ 93.75 Labor | Brake Pads & Rotors - Front
$125.00 Labor | Brake Pads - Rear
$ 83.88 Tax
$922.63 Total
So the calipers and lining are also changed?

So the calipers and lining are also changed?
Looks like it's called "caliper lining" instead of
brake pads.

Correction: front and rear pads, front rotors (i.e. rear rotors not replaced).

Code:
$160.00 Parts | 8008242-00-A FR BRAKE CALIPER, SPORT, LINING KIT
$160.00 Parts | 8008246-00-A RR BRAKE CALIPER, SPORT, LINING KIT
$300.00 Parts | 1044616-00-D BRAKE ROTOR, FRONT, SPORT BIMATERIAL
$ 93.75 Labor | Brake Pads & Rotors - Front
$125.00 Labor | Brake Pads - Rear
$ 83.88 Tax
$922.63 Total
Surprising that the rotors dont seem so expensive. I wonder if they'd just sell the pads, without requiring us to have them installed by the service center?

Reactions: SammichLover
The main limit of braking force is actually the tire grip. With track mode utilizing regen braking a lot it’s actually less thermal pressure on the brake system. I would assign the rotors lowest priority in the upgrade queue.

That's probably true on a shorter track. On a larger track with higher speeds, and higher thermal loads on the braking system, getting rid of that heat starts to become functionally critical, and you need some form of increased convection and internal surface area to achieve that. Of course, many have made the point that the car's drive system is tailor made for short tracks, and becomes somewhat disadvantaged due to horsepower drop off above 60 mph. So weekend warriors on a tighter budget might want to hit those shorter tracks for two reasons.

Reactions: mcbarnet007
That's probably true on a shorter track. On a larger track with higher speeds, and higher thermal loads on the braking system, getting rid of that heat starts to become functionally critical, and you need some form of increased convection and internal surface area to achieve that. Of course, many have made the point that the car's drive system is tailor made for short tracks, and becomes somewhat disadvantaged due to horsepower drop off above 60 mph. So weekend warriors on a tighter budget might want to hit those shorter tracks for two reasons.

It's not actually that simple. Tight tracks with lots of lighter braking sections but not many straights to cool the brakes can be just as hard from a thermal build up point of view. It's time on the brakes+intensity of braking-cooling time, roughly.

Reactions: dfwatt
2019-02-28_18-44-28.jpg
Keeping in mind that that's only true with the P. The D holds it's HP through to at least 100mph, at which point it is about the same as the P. The torque isn't at peak but the HP maintains for a long time.

Yup. That's true. Here are the HP curves for all model 3s. While EV motors are far less peaky than ICE, they can still have some drop offs in HP in the single gear direct drive setup seen in the 3, X, and S, as you get to higher speeds, like you say, principally and most severely in the DMP. The RWD stays pretty flat, and so does the dual motor non-P. Not sure why the front motor in the DMP can't achieve that? Any ideas?

• Helpful
Reactions: SammichLover
Currently we have very limited choice for what track to hit. Mostly depends on charging infrastructure. Those tracks with a supercharger in close range are always most preferred.

Reactions: dfwatt
Currently we have very limited choice for what track to hit. Mostly depends on charging infrastructure. Those tracks with a supercharger in close range are always most preferred.
True that, so I'm making my own charging infrastructure. :p There's a track in the area that's about 37mi from nearest SC. That sorta works but charging taper + 37mi on trackable tires makes it challenging to refill mid-day and start a session with at least 80%, much less run a second session at a good charge (not a P so I don't get the Track Mode trick of running full HP on lower SOC). Saturday I'm finishing off setting up a temp HPWC at the track while flogging the track owners to get some Destination chargers in. Going to try it out Sunday and see if this works as well as I expect it to.

There's another smaller track in the area, although less grand my guess it is even friendlier to the Model 3 on the performance end. That's currently further from a SC but it appears it will get a SC within 15 miles some time this year.

Reactions: dfwatt and SD_Engnr
We now have Performance and Track only Pads for Base and the upgraded performance brake caliper option. We also have two piece stock size replacement rotors. They shave on average 5-6lbs of unsprung weight per corner. Rings are can be replaced separately when they wear out. Model 3 Brakes View attachment 399105 View attachment 399108

What's the difference between performance and track only? How much will I regret driving track only pads on a daily basis?

What's the difference between performance and track only? How much will I regret driving track only pads on a daily basis?
Depends on your tolerance for noise and less cold friction. I wouldn’t do it. There is no benefit to running track pads on the street. They make more dust and are more aggressive on the rotors. Run them at the track where they’re meant to be and keep the street performance ones the rest of the time.

Depends on your tolerance for noise and less cold friction. I wouldn’t do it. There is no benefit to running track pads on the street. They make more dust and are more aggressive on the rotors. Run them at the track where they’re meant to be and keep the street performance ones the rest of the time.

Mainly it would be the lack of my ability to change brake pads.