Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket radio/NAV units

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
please come back to us and tell us what your local dealer has commented on the change from factory system if any comment at all. I asked the Swiss dealer and they are apparently checking on the possible warranty issue.........

felix b.

personally would want to get the Sony system because of the tom tom nav unit. for the microphone issue, in a sports car you almost always have to put a remote micro that is close to your mouth for it to work well. the pre designated micros or in dash unit micros almost never work to satisfaction. Get a remote one and place it colse to the upper corner of the windshield, usually the best place for a good voice transmittance

felix b.

I called Al-Eds in West Hollywood today since they are into Tesla aftermarket units (they even have a Tesla link). I asked if they could provide a setup better than stock for $4,500 (the infotainment cost), or as good of a setup for less. The answer was "yes" suggesting that perhaps I should not get the infotainment option, and use the $ for upgrades by Al-Eds (if this can be done without a warranty issue and if I can get a double DIN dash when ordering the car).

I asked what would be the best head unit (I see Kenwood and Sony mentioned). I mentioned that I wanted the back up camera, bluetooth, ipod, and an excellent Navigation unit (as good as or better than what Acura provides). It was suggested that I select the Pioneer Z130BT

Al s Autosound - Pioneer CD/DVD/MP3/WMA/AAC Car In-Dash GPS Navigation System With Built-in...

What do you think?

Well, I agree that dealers tend to promote the products they sell for profit as being the best (and the potential for bias)... but I am having a hard time finding objective information. I could not find a good review of this Z130BT, or information that really points out how the Pioneer/Sony/Kenwood products compare to the Alpine unit. It does appear that the Acura units are well liked in terms of navigation, but I can not find information as to how they compare to aftermarket products. I would find this information useful because if I can have the option of a double-DIN opening in the dash without having to purchase the infotainment package, I would certainly go to the trouble of getting aftermarket instead if in the end, I end up with a better system for the same amount of $.

I had the Kenwood KVT-696 installed in my Tesla. I have a 2010 Roadster 1.5 with the single DIN stereo. This Kenwood has a popup 7" screen. I had all the options installed with it: Sirius SAT, Garmin Nav, Bluetooth, backup camera, iPhone dock, remote mic for hands free phone (using speakers for phone). The whole setup is great, and a definite improvement over the stock JVC unit in every way.

A minor mod is required: The right steering wheel stalk (for wipers) needs to be trimmed back a half inch so the popup screen will clear it.

I was just at the Newport Tesla location and talked to Kyrstin. She said she checked, and said that unless I purchase a car with the infotainment option, the dash will be a 1 DIN dash. Therefore, although I thought I read that I can place an order for the car without this option, yet request (and get) a 2 DIN dash, it appears that this is not an option for me. Oh well.