TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Aftermarket radio?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, Jun 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

With no apparent "radio" to replace, I don't see how you can use any aftermarket radio in the model 3. I hope Tesla offers a great radio since I don't know what you could do if it didn't meet your expectations...

• Disagree x 1
  2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

3. Big-T

Big-T Member

Will the base config have an amp to replace? What about a sub? Also I'm a bit worried my local yokel car pro's shop wouldn't know how to wire anything in a Tesla

4. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

A tesla is just a car, not the magical creature some shops pretend it is. It comes with a 12 volt power supply, a fuse panel, an ignition circuit. Not complicated for any compeent installer.

• Like x 2
  5. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

I have already begun research and investigating to upgrade the base sound system I plan to order in my Model 3. I think it is unlikely that a) the better radio will be available as a stand-alone upgrade initially, instead part of an upgrade package that I probably won't want most of, and b) whatever price one would pay for a better radio from Tesla is twice as much as what one would spend at a quality stereo shop for an aftermarket system.

Since the Model3 will most likely have a 12volt battery, it should not be hugely difficult to install an aftermarket system. The installer would tap in to the stereo output signal either from the factory amp or, if it doesn't have one, the infotainment system and feed the stereo signal into either a converter and then on to an amp or amps, or it can be fed in to an amp that accepts line inputs.

I am assuming the base radio will have full range speakers in each of the doors and that's it. So my plan is to buy a 5channel amp, upgrade the front speakers to a component set and mount the tweeters in the front corner of the door, directly replace the rear door speakers with coax speakers and add a 10" sub. I think the amp and sub will fit nicely in the frunk with a little room to spare.

I am not looking for an obnoxious booming system. That was 20 years ago for me. I want something that sounds good for most music types at all reasonable listening levels, and sometimes that's quite loud depending on my mood. But I want fill bass, not booming bass. There are many high quality 5ch amp that produce great sound, are affordable and not very large.

• Disagree x 1
  6. JimmyAZ

JimmyAZ Member

No Tesla except the Roadster has an easily replaceable stereo, but why not just go for the upgraded system? The S's is really good. It's not perfect as has been discussed in other forums, but I think it's great.

7. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

We recently had our MS in for service and got around to asking about the sometimes poor reception of our radio channels in our car. Asked about whether you could have a better tuner installed even if after market and basically the answer was no. Not interested in XM radio. While discussing the issue it was mentioned that the Model 3 wouldn't have an AM radio. Ideas was to use internet radio like TuneIn for some of those stations. Kind of shocked since not all AM radio stations are carried on TuneIn, TuneIn even on our phone hasn't always been that great, and gee AM is your local news and talk stuff. We just went to a drive-in last night in our MS and guess that will still be doable in a M3 as the drive-ins use an FM channel to broadcast the audio for the movie.

Still don't get why our MS radio can't get as good of reception of local AM stations as our Toyota parked right next to it.

• Like x 1
  8. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Member

Why Electric Cars Are Ditching AM Radio

I've also heard the lack of a protruding antenna also makes it worse, but that's speculation as far as I can tell (could be right; I just haven't seen data on it).

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

Great article. Thanks. Didn't realize the MX has eliminated it already. Personally hope NAB or someone else can work out a solution. I'm one of those people who mostly listens to AM in the car.

• Like x 1
  10. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

There are devices like the JL Audio CleanSweep
    A few of my AM stations are rebroadcasted on HD Radio FM substations now. Don't know if this trend is continuing though.

11. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

I have to wonder how much bandwidth is available to go around.

12. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

Holy crap, your comment made me realize we can go to the drive in now (after we get our 3) and run the heat when it's cold out!! Wow!! thanks

Back to your regularly scheduled thread....

13. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Alot of the AM stations are available on TuneIn.