Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Rear Diffuser's Thread (pictures+discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it's up to you, my kit only requires 3 screws at the bottom and the rest are using body kit silicon to hold up, it's wet CF will warp and the clear coat will have wrinkles if you put force to it. I am replacing mine and swap with dry CF version soon, not too expensive to get one in Asia

I have found the 3M Transparent (not the foam core) tape and good use of 3M Adhesion promoter have solved attaching problems I've had in the past. I have a cheap China diffuser that's been on the slow boat from China for 2 months that I purchased through Amazon coming Monday. I plan to take off their tape, use the Transparent 3M tape and adhesion promoter. Fingers crossed, and if that doesn't work, I'll probably say "Screw it" and screw-it myself. Definitely use adhesion promoter liberally - it makes a huge difference in my experience.

That looks like the one I got.

I wound up using screws and it makes all the difference in the world. Two underneath the car, and four into the rear bumper. I probably could have gotten away with just two screws into the bumper, but once there's one holes, what does a couple more matter? (as I said, I never plan on taking off the diffuser). With the screws, the fit is now absolutely PERFECT (the fit was awful without the screws))

Here's the final install with the screws. I really love this diffuser.

tesla-3-sm.jpg

Looks awesome- if you don’t mind - what kind of screws- and where approximately did you place em if I need to go that route. I’ll reciprocate with pics of mine installed
Thanks! And sure, see the pics attached.

One shows the screw placement (four underneath and four tucked into the corners).

I also included a closeup of one of the screws. I couldn't quite tell you what screws they are as I had someone else install it. I'm sure they are self-tapping (black) screws. It just wasn't staying in place without the screws, but they don't bug me in the slightest.

Attachments

• screws.jpg
    screws.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 484
  • screw.jpg
    screw.jpg
    558.7 KB · Views: 432
Reactions: JohnNick72
Thanks for the pics - that tells me everything I need to know about screws and placement.

I think I might get those same skirts - it gives me promise, as the diffuser I am getting Monday uses the same photo:

If that's a quality piece (took 2 months in shipping) I may get the same skirts you did.

i bought mcarcar’s side skirts and rear lip and they fit fine, not perfect but fine. And yes it does take 2 months because the box is too big to transport by plane. So they use ship.

i bought mcarcar’s side skirts and rear lip and they fit fine, not perfect but fine. And yes it does take 2 months because the box is too big to transport by plane. So they use ship.
I ordered the side skirts (exact same ones ) from JC Sportline from China and they arrived in two or three weeks at no additional charge just because I asked, so it wasn’t on a boat. They actually arrived within a few days as the front splitter and rear diffuser that I ordered at the same time from California…

I ordered the side skirts (exact same ones ) from JC Sportline from China and they arrived in two or three weeks at no additional charge just because I asked, so it wasn’t on a boat. They actually arrived within a few days as the front splitter and rear diffuser that I ordered at the same time from California…
Did you do anything special to ask for non-ship shipping, if so any tips (feel free to message)? I placed an order for the JC Sportline skirts you have - I think they look sharp.

Ah damn, they messaged me and told me the box is too big for plane cargo so they shipped it by ship.
I’m guessing they wanted to save money on shipping so they told me that. Or it could be I live in Canada 😂

Ah damn, they messaged me and told me the box is too big for plane cargo so they shipped it by ship.
I’m guessing they wanted to save money on shipping so they told me that. Or it could be I live in Canada 😂
That's what the Chinese sellers tend to do in my experience - They say "It's too large, we have to ship by ship." which = "That want what we actually charged you for plane shipment, so we decided to to save a few bucks, make some money and ship it by ship."

I find the "there's no way to air ship a 3 foot by 5 foot 5lb piece of carbon fiber laughable. There's a way, you just didn't want to.

Oh well that's the price we pay for not paring 2X+ more at the us resellers.

I have a query out to the seller of the skirts I ordered - they responded letting me know they would respond Monday. I'm pretty sure they are gonna go by ship.

If anyone wants to order the Vorsteiner-looking real carbon fiber front splitter or the rear diffuser, I got mine from California. And the front spitter was almost half the price of the ones I looked at on Amazon from China. (The prices have actually gone up a little since I ordered)

They also sell the IKON-looking front spoiler which I almost purchased. But I wound up going with the more aggressive Vorstein-looking set.

Thanks! And sure, see the pics attached.

One shows the screw placement (four underneath and four tucked into the corners).

I also included a closeup of one of the screws. I couldn't quite tell you what screws they are as I had someone else install it. I'm sure they are self-tapping (black) screws. It just wasn't staying in place without the screws, but they don't bug me in the slightest.
Looks great! My CF rear diffuser arrived without hardware or tape but looks like it will need to be secured with screws as well. What size/length screws did you use?

Looks great! My CF rear diffuser arrived without hardware or tape but looks like it will need to be secured with screws as well. What size/length screws did you use?
I honestly don't know what size or length they used. If you plan on installing it yourself, I would at least recommend talking to a body shop to see what screws they recommend. They might even give or sell you a few.

Reactions: GoodbyeICE
My MCARCAR KIT diffuser I ordered from Amazon on April 23 finally came today after 9 weeks. Overall the build quality of the piece and fitment were very good. I suspect these are all coming from the same builder.

It only had one row of probably 3/8 gray foam tape (cheap quality, not 3M", so I left that on (it was well adhered) and added another row of the 1/2 inch 3M clear VHB tape inside it with adhesion promoter on both the diffuser and on the bumper. Only had one shot to line it up as the stick was instant and permanent with the adhesion promoter. It went on nicely with the wifey providing a 2nd pair of hands while I positioned it. Mine diffuser with 12 Phillips screws and no instructions. I used 2 screws in the recessed holes and sank the other 10 underneath, straight up. Pretty sure this is not going anywhere and no screws are in the body colored bumper, only the black plastic underneath. Overall very happy with the part and the install.

My diffuser install was made a little more tricky as I have a stealth hitch (for my bike rack) and I jigsawed the diffuser for the removable access panel - it came out very nice and you can't tell it was cut. Might be the only Tesla with a diffuser and a hitch, LOL.