Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Rear license Plate Bracket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been having problems with my rear license plate bracket. Someone else installed my license plate and insisted on using a drill with a Philips screw head and cross threaded one of the crews. I took my car to a repair shop for some hail damage and figured I could get a replacement bracket. They replaced it and lo and behold they cross threaded a crew on installation as well (there goes $55). The screws are impossible to backout even by force, its not the the my screw driver camming out its because the grommet rotates with the screw when I try to back it out.
To be completely clear the bracket/mount part number is 1096844-00-B (Parts Catalog). Its the black plastic part the goes between the car and the license plate.
Does anyone have any 3rd party or aftermarket recommendations for this part? I found a few "Universal" mounts on amazon but worried it wont fit the tesla.

i recently replaced mine through tesla, they hand delivered it to my house for $26 including tax. I had to install it.. which took about 30 seconds. the oem part was cheaper than any aftermarket i could find. kinda a crap design if you ask me but at least its a pretty easy cheap fix and i have no plans to remove my plate again until i sell the car.

Upvote 0
i recently replaced mine through tesla, they hand delivered it to my house for $26 including tax. I had to install it.. which took about 30 seconds. the oem part was cheaper than any aftermarket i could find. kinda a crap design if you ask me but at least its a pretty easy cheap fix and i have no plans to remove my plate again until i sell the car.
what was your process of getting one? did you email, call, or go through the app?

Upvote 0
I submitted the request through the app. within an hour I received a notification that the part had been ordered, it came in within 2 days and they scheduled the appointment to deliver it 3 days after my request was submitted. No charge for shipping or delivery. They even performed a recall on my car when they delivered it that I didnt know about.

Upvote 0
Are these grommets round or square? On my 2021 SR+, there are only 2 square holes, with white nylon "grommets" that pop into the holes, then 2 screws hold the black bracket to them, and the plate screws into the bracket with 4 screws.

A few days ago, the whole thing fell off when my wife opened the rear. So for me, I would need something that is, I believe, non standard. Fortunately, the bracket is fine, and I reattached it all, making sure it was tight, and I believe it's secure.

If yours has 4 holes spaced the same as the plate, it might be easy to find a replacement, but you may need to get the right sized grommets to hold it to the car. Or, get the super-strong Velcro, which would hold it very securely.

Upvote 0
I submitted the request through the app. within an hour I received a notification that the part had been ordered, it came in within 2 days and they scheduled the appointment to deliver it 3 days after my request was submitted. No charge for shipping or delivery. They even performed a recall on my car when they delivered it that I didnt know about.
Same problem here. I have found the parts I need in the Tesla service manual, but it seems as though a civilian is not able to order parts from the service manual, as there is a lengthy registration process that is obviously for commercial shops use. What app did you use for your request?

Upvote 0
Same problem here. I have found the parts I need in the Tesla service manual, but it seems as though a civilian is not able to order parts from the service manual, as there is a lengthy registration process that is obviously for commercial shops use. What app did you use for your request?
you can open a ticket in the Tesla app for the car, just say you need to purchase the part and list the part number. They will send you an estimate for the price and schedule delivery. pretty straightforward and about half the price i was able to find anywhere else online. im sure you could also call your local service center and ask them to order it for you.

Upvote 0
you can open a ticket in the Tesla app for the car, just say you need to purchase the part and list the part number. They will send you an estimate for the price and schedule delivery. pretty straightforward and about half the price i was able to find anywhere else online. im sure you could also call your local service center and ask them to order it for you.
Thank you!

Upvote 0
I haven't gotten a response yet. I wondering if I posted my request in the correct place. Specifically, where (what Tesla app) and how did you "open a ticket"? Thanks

Upvote 0
I haven't gotten a response yet. I wondering if I posted my request in the correct place. Specifically, where (what Tesla app) and how did you "open a ticket"? Thanks
I'm doing this now. I think you just request service for "exterior trim", then put in the description of what you need, and select a location / date for service (I never see mobile service these days, only the four service centers in Colorado with dates weeks out). My assumption is that someone will review it and then adjust it to a mobile service or just ship the item, then either they or we cancel the physical service appointment via the app.

As soon as I go through the process, I'll report back with more clear details on how to get this done. Hopefully they don't make me drive in to the service center to put on a silly plate frame and just send it to me so I can do it myself...

Upvote 0
Had some chatting in the service message area on the app after requesting the plate. They had sent me a few options to select from regarding which plate frame I wanted, and did I want them to install the bracket and plate, or just the plate, or the bracket (no option for me doing it myself). I messaged in the service area saying I didn't need them to install the plate bracket - I'd do it myself. I just want to pick it up. They responded with "well, just come on down and pick one up - $26!". So I'm heading that way today and will simply cancel the service appt afterwards.

In other words, it looks like you can simply go to your nearest service center (if that's feasible for you) and they have them in stock.

Upvote 0
I've been having problems with my rear license plate bracket. Someone else installed my license plate and insisted on using a drill with a Philips screw head and cross threaded one of the crews. I took my car to a repair shop for some hail damage and figured I could get a replacement bracket. They replaced it and lo and behold they cross threaded a crew on installation as well (there goes $55). The screws are impossible to backout even by force, its not the the my screw driver camming out its because the grommet rotates with the screw when I try to back it out.
To be completely clear the bracket/mount part number is 1096844-00-B (Parts Catalog). Its the black plastic part the goes between the car and the license plate.
Does anyone have any 3rd party or aftermarket recommendations for this part? I found a few "Universal" mounts on amazon but worried it wont fit the tesla.

I contacted Tesla via the service section of the app yesterday after I stripped the screw on my original rear license plate bracket, I scheduled an appt as required but just mentioned I wanted to purchase a new bracket. They called me within 10 minutes, I was at the local location within an hour, and the whole issue was resolved in under two hours. Props to Upland Tesla in SoCal.

Upvote 0