TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Aftermarket Skyline phone dock

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Stasla, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Stasla

Stasla Member

• Like x 1
  2. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Unfortunately, only available in the U.S. Otherwise, I would have purchased/tested this product.

3. Dazureus

Dazureus Member

I haven't used this product, but I've found if I dock the phone without the retaining wings, my android phone will fall off the dock under acceleration. Not sure how this products gets around that.

4. Stasla

Stasla Member

I have a lowly 75d with the old 6sec 0-60 acceleration. Doubt that'd be a problem for me. Plus I drive like a grampa most of the times to maximize efficiency...

5. FairladyZed

FairladyZed New Member

I've co-created this with a friend. Sent you a PM I'm sure we can work something out :)

• Love x 1
  6. Yinn

Yinn Member

I too own a lowly 75d. One of those old ones, not the fancy shiny new ones that do 0-60 in 4.8s. I can confirm that if you punch it though, and the phone will go flying. But most of the time I drive like an old man, so I don't use the wings.

PM sent, I'd like to try :)

7. Stasla

Stasla Member

Folks, I recieved the dock and it doesn't come with the charging cables or guide rails/phone holders. In fact, it's designed to fit the Tesla USB cables from their kit and meant to use the OEM guiderails. It only replaces the screwdown piece that the phone end of the cable is sticking out of. Keep that in mind - if you don't have the Tesla OEM phone dock - it wouldn't be an option for ya.

Also, Joe at Skyline told me they are working on a USB-C version that will come with the cable. Should be available in a couple weeks. I will test that one out and report back.

8. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

Waiting on mine for the wife's X

9. FairladyZed

FairladyZed New Member

we'll be updating the store soon. will sell assemblies with cable and offer a usb-c as Joe mentioned. stay tuned!

10. ditzpro

ditzpro Member

What someone (Mfg) needs to do is make a wireless charging accessory ..I have seen a post with a homemade one ...Parts are available on Amazon ..However you must take apart the center console .. We need one that plugs into the phone dock with wings to hold the phone to it ...

• Like x 1
  11. blake6551

blake6551 Member

Just wanted to say, installed this in my X over the weekend.

LOVE IT! Seriously, this should be a factory option.

Works perfectly with my iPhone 7 Plus and Tech21 case.

FYI - I misunderstood the directions at first and backed out the screw that holds the connector in during install of the cord. It still works, albeit he connector sits slightly crooked before I push the phone on.

12. milyrouge

milyrouge Member

Sounds like just what I need! I hope it will become available for European customers, too!

13. Stasla

Stasla Member

Do you have the guiderails installed? I have a narrower phone, Samsung Galaxy S8+ with the Tech21 case and it's a very tight fit with the OEM Tesla guiderails meant for the larger phone.

14. blake6551

blake6551 Member

#14 blake6551, Oct 19, 2017 at 3:08 PM
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017 at 3:18 PM
    No guiderails. The fit was way too narrow. I even dremeled them down, but it still didn't work. Surprisingly with the Tech21 case, there's no movement. If it had been an issue, my plan was to use two strips of thick foam block cut down just enough to not let the phone fall all the way over.

Also, just to note an earlier post. My X didn't come with the adapter, so I bought it off the Tesla shop, and installed both it and the Skyline at the same time. Works perfectly and was extremely easy to install.

• Informative x 1
  15. blake6551

blake6551 Member

Pic of my wife’s 7 Plus/Tech21 in the Skyline.

IMG_9335.jpg

• Like x 1