Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket spoiler wiggle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Schulz1983

Model Y LR AWD: Matte PPF, Vossen HF-1
May 14, 2021
High Ridge MO
I just put the Basenor matte black spoiler on. It has only been about 12 hours but I was wondering how solid it should be? If the spoiler feels stuck if I try to pull. Now if I wiggle then there is movement. Is that normal with the 3m tape? I notice my emblems wiggle if I try to move those as also. So I’m thinking normal but if anyone has an aftermarket spoiler please let me know. I don’t want it flying off on the highway.
image.jpg

Makes all of us realize how much force is exerted on the spoiler.

Does the tape go all the way to the end of spoiler?
Yes it does. The sides are starting to feel solid now. Maybe it is the needing to wait 72 hours for the adhesive to adhere? I’m giving it 36 hours as I need to use it tomorrow. I watched the rpm video and they use a 1/2” strip down the center. Sits more flush and looks to adhere better. They don’t do the small tape top and bottom. If this one has issues I’m going to try the 1/2” strip down the middle.

Leave it on for the full time. You’ll be tempted because you want to see your MY without tape, but stick it out. There will still be a chance of lifting from a corner, but you will probably have a better outcome.
I’m being patient. I wish it was a stick on and bam it won’t come off. I am giving it a day and a half but I have to drive it tomorrow. So hopefully that is enough time, although they recommend 72 hours. 5 pm Friday to 6 am Sunday morning.

I guess my patience didn’t last. The right corner started popping up even taped down. I could tell it wasn’t going to hold so it literally pulled off the car without effort. I cleaned the adhesive off the spoiler and bought some legit 3m tape. Put extra on the flat portions, cleaned the hatch really well with rubbing alcohol and attached again. This time it stuck immediately. I’m not sure how long that adhesive stays on those spoilers as I’m sure they are shipped from overseas. The 3m stuff is super strong. Taped down again so I hope it holds!

Reactions: morbidz
I guess my patience didn’t last. The right corner started popping up even taped down. I could tell it wasn’t going to hold so it literally pulled off the car without effort. I cleaned the adhesive off the spoiler and bought some legit 3m tape. Put extra on the flat portions, cleaned the hatch really well with rubbing alcohol and attached again. This time it stuck immediately. I’m not sure how long that adhesive stays on those spoilers as I’m sure they are shipped from overseas. The 3m stuff is super strong. Taped down again so I hope it holds!
If it makes you feel better, I had to go back twice to a vendor and have them redo the right side. Even after two, it still lifted again on right side. I was able to heat gun, add some 3M. It’s now 98% perfect, but I can still see a little lift. Waiting on RPM Razzo matter spoiler to arrive and will swap out.
Hope this works for you.

If it makes you feel better, I had to go back twice to a vendor and have them redo the right side. Even after two, it still lifted again on right side. I was able to heat gun, add some 3M. It’s now 98% perfect, but I can still see a little lift. Waiting on RPM Razzo matter spoiler to arrive and will swap out.
Hope this works for you.
I saw that today! Did you preorder? I’m thinking about getting the Juniper V

Hope this works for you.
I gave up and also ordered the matte Razzo. Fiancé didn’t like the Juniper. Just cat get the Orem style one to stay down.

Did they happen to say when they would have the matte in stock for the Razzo? I ordered online and haven’t received an email or anything? Would you have a picture of your front spoiler? @USC-Hawk
E55D22B4-4133-4EEB-8CD6-B7FFCCF2BCC4.jpeg
FACF5C53-1332-4F95-B504-90B39CD332E3.jpeg
54B0B9CB-6AF9-47C5-AA73-7C58F9FB1BB1.jpeg
A12C6EFD-4383-45DB-B4A3-785C7833A7C7.jpeg
A12C6EFD-4383-45DB-B4A3-785C7833A7C7.jpeg
The worst part of ordering from RPM is the lack of communication. Everything else has been really good. You should have received a confirmation email of you order with your order #. If not, I would check to see if the order went through.

Reactions: pookguy
View attachment 682912View attachment 682913View attachment 682914View attachment 682915View attachment 682915The worst part of ordering from RPM is the lack of communication. Everything else has been really good. You should have received a confirmation email of you order with your order #. If not, I would check to see if the order went through.
I received a confirmation. The part description talks about stock on shiny and something about matte being in production. It listed June 19th so I guess they haven’t updated it and wanted a more definitive timeline. I like that front lip. Thinking about doing that with the mirror caps. Just got the quote back from my PPF people to get those both covered. I’m not going to PPF the wing.

I received a confirmation. The part description talks about stock on shiny and something about matte being in production. It listed June 19th so I guess they haven’t updated it and wanted a more definitive timeline. I like that front lip. Thinking about doing that with the mirror caps. Just got the quote back from my PPF people to get those both covered. I’m not going to PPF the wing.
Some matte Razzo spoilers are suppose to arrive next week. Found out I am #2 in line. Hope to have it installed by RPM next Friday. Pictures to follow.

Reactions: ucsdsig
They texted me back yesterday and said they are getting spoilers Tuesday (I assume they mean today) and will be shipping Wednesday. They said mine was in that list. Now I just need to decide when I want to do the mirror caps. I need to get them covered in PPF though.
Some matte Razzo spoilers are suppose to arrive next week. Found out I am #2 in line. Hope to have it installed by RPM next Friday. Pictures to follow.

Reactions: USC-Hawk