TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Aftermarket stereo upgrade options for Roadster 2.5

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by dsm363, Dec 28, 2010.

1. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I just got my Roadster 2.5 but can already tell I don't like the Alpine system very much. It's ok so I'll probably keep it for a year or so but I'm starting to think about upgrading the system at some point to something with a better navigation system like TomTom (Sony is selling a new system that uses the actual TomTom software). Has anyone done this already? I know the Pioneer top of the line system is supposed to be better, according to the reviews I've read, than Alpine so I wish Tesla would have used that instead.
    The alpine system is horrible it's just that my $250 TomTom is much easier to use and better than the Alpine (although that's the case with almost all factory navigation systems being beat my cheap portable navigation systems).

2. zack

zack Member

I'm very curious about this as well. I ordered my 2.5 without a system so that i could install a custom system when it arrives in Chicago late February.

3. tomsax

tomsax Member

Can you get the 2.5 with the double-DIN dash opening without buying the full Alpine package? Having the single DIN dash is a serious limitation on what you can put in later.

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I don't think you can but am not sure. That's why I went ahead and ordered the Alpine unit so I could upgrade to a similar double-din system down the road.

5. zack

zack Member

The one I have coming has a double with no stereo, and I have a few options waiting in Chicago for installation.

6. MidLife

MidLife Member

Zack - I'm in Chicago as well. Have a question for you but can't seem to find a PM option on this forum. Can I reach you?

7. zack

zack Member

I'm actually in Minneapolis but the car will be transported to the Chicago dealership in late February if all goes well. You may contact me at z a c k (at) z v e x . c o m without the spaces. Happy New Year!

8. suxxer

suxxer ElektroVolt

If you want to change the stereo you have to contact Tesla first. They will have to approve the new unit first (in terms of radiation, power consumption,...). You will void the warranty if you change the stereo without Tesla's approval.

That's the answer i got from Tesla when i asked the stereo question...

9. Excimer

Excimer Member

Radiation????

10. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

RF emissions I assume.
    (So it doesn't interfere with other electronic equipment nearby.)

11. suxxer

suxxer ElektroVolt

Yes, RF emissions or EMR (electromagnetic radiation).

Its covered in the manual under:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1250&d=1294295947.jpg

vehicle_modifications.jpg