Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket subwoofer amp power wire NVX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have anyone tri d to install an aftermarket subwoofer like the NVX. How do you guys run the power cable from the front battery to the back. I know you have to go thru the grommet in the firewall. My question is do you pull the grommet aside a bit and run the wire thru or do you drill a hole in the grommet and run thru it. Thanks for your help

When I did it there was a thin plastic grommet or plug in a hole on the passenger side firewall, I just took a utility knife and created two small slits to create an "X" in the middle then gently pushed the wire through. Worked like a charm for me, hardest part is just locating the hole, on the inside it's quite always up almost behind the dash, from inside the good it's a little easier to find. I think I recall people stating the hole was there for drainage if you had the pano roof, which I didn't.

I have pano roof. I only see one big grommet with all the wires going into the car and it's super thick, I tried to poke/drill but can't get thru. This is the same grommet I see people push their wire thru in their videos but I'm not sure if they drill a hole thru or slightly push the grommet aside and push the wire in. Is this the one you're talking about or is it another. If there's another, is it to the left or the right of this big one? Thanks for your help

The one I'm talking about may not be available on yours if it's function was drainage for the pano, it definitely was not the big one, this was a blank grommet with no wires at all. Not sure where the big loom is located, but the one I used was on the far right passenger side. In a pinch there is room on the right side to drill your own hole and install a grommet if you had to, might be better option then messing something up by accident in an existing grommet with wires already present.

The one I'm talking about may not be available on yours if it's function was drainage for the pano, it definitely was not the big one, this was a blank grommet with no wires at all. Not sure where the big loom is located, but the one I used was on the far right passenger side. In a pinch there is room on the right side to drill your own hole and install a grommet if you had to, might be better option then messing something up by accident in an existing grommet with wires already present.

Mine didn't come with another grommet for drainage. It was a lot of work to get thru the main grommet because it was super thick and there's 2 layers of rubber. It was easy to pull it out but pushing the wire thru and putting the grommet back to normal was very time consuming, the hardest part of doing this project in my opinion. There wasn't a lot of wiggle room to get it thru. But yeah thank you for chiming in, I really appreciate your help on this, BigCity.

I have not yet tried running wire for an amp either, but it's on my plate of things to do - maybe on Thanksgiving weekend. If you get the wire through, snap a pic so we can see it.

I already put everything back. I will try to take some pictures after the holiday. The one place I drilled thru is near the top left of main grommet and push the wire all the way to the right. I installed another grommet on the wire going thru the main grommet to cover any gap. Hope that helps

Bringing this thread back from the dead....working on a subwoofer solution for my 2017 S75, base sounds system (not UHFS). My main concern is not drilling any holes and getting the power from frunk to trunk using the existing grommets. Any chance any of you can post pictures or more details on how you accomplished this?

I don't see any other useful threads on this in the forum.