TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Aftermarket Subwoofer for non-hifi sound system

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by BrandonSinger, Feb 19, 2017.

1. BrandonSinger

BrandonSinger Member

Has anyone installed an aftermarket subwoofer in the X? I would love to have the JL Stealthbox but they have not released one specifically for this vehicle.

I found a picture of a shop that did a custom build but their quote was very pricey. Here is a pic from their build.
    [​IMG]

Any recommendations for aftermarket audio is appreciated!

• Like x 1
  2. Mistersir

Mistersir Member

I would be interested in seeing what people have come up with as well...

3. BrandonSinger

BrandonSinger Member

The image above is from a shop up in the Northeast US. They want $2500 for all parts and labor installed.

A local shop down in FL said they could do the box for $950. Then I could buy the remaining materials and pay for installation. Would probably work out to $2k or so

4. ahtlys

ahtlys Member

I would be interested in a smaller 4-5 inch sub.

5. ScubaQ

ScubaQ Member

My X is still on order but my usual install shop has quoted me $1400 for a custom built enclosure, 10"JBL sub, digital converter, amp, and install. I was surprised to hear that they had not done one yet. This shop does a lot of high end cars and I would have thought another MX owner would have done an install by now.

6. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

The standard Model X sound system is already pretty good, so people are not super motivated to spend a lot to upgrade it.

However, some people always want to make good things even better, so their might be two markets.
    1. A small sub with it's own amp to add a little tight and accurate bass to round out the sonic experience.
    2. A large sub with a big amp to go Boom Boom Boom.

• Like x 2
  7. goldenmastiff

goldenmastiff Member

Standard audio is extremely lacking in the X in my opinion. I was quoted 650 for a very tight, high end under seat sub from a good shop. They just installed a pair on a Model X (both front seats). I also plan on adding my Alpine amp if there is room to help the weak sound out as the front speakers are quite weak. I did have a Model X upgraded loaner for a while and it was still in need of improvement. Definitely glad I saved the expense of the upgrade.
    Anyone know where the anemic amp is?

8. BrandonSinger

BrandonSinger Member

I have not heard of putting the sub under the seat. I'll search on this.
    A local shop that I called last week said they are installing two 10s in the trunk well and putting a false floor over it.

9. goldenmastiff

goldenmastiff Member

I have added subs in the trunk to previous cars and have found that I missed the space that I lost in the trunk. There are many options for subs under the seats and the Model X has loads of room under the seats. Also the sub wouldn't need to be as powerful as it is bolted to the floor right underneath you.

10. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

FYI: there are vents under the driver/passenger seats. Be careful that you don't block that air flow, since it may also heat up your amp unnecessarily.

11. goldenmastiff

goldenmastiff Member

Thank you. I will have to take some measurements and see what different sizes/brands will fit properly.

12. fabricator

fabricator Member

Here are a few different versions of aftermarket equipment I have fabricated into the Tesla, replicating an OEM design.