Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Subwoofer for non-hifi sound system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone installed an aftermarket subwoofer in the X? I would love to have the JL Stealthbox but they have not released one specifically for this vehicle.

I found a picture of a shop that did a custom build but their quote was very pricey. Here is a pic from their build.
14733505_177579119387357_3261027329069023232_n.jpg

Any recommendations for aftermarket audio is appreciated!

Reactions: Cowby
My X is still on order but my usual install shop has quoted me $1400 for a custom built enclosure, 10"JBL sub, digital converter, amp, and install. I was surprised to hear that they had not done one yet. This shop does a lot of high end cars and I would have thought another MX owner would have done an install by now.

The standard Model X sound system is already pretty good, so people are not super motivated to spend a lot to upgrade it.

However, some people always want to make good things even better, so their might be two markets.
1. A small sub with it's own amp to add a little tight and accurate bass to round out the sonic experience.
2. A large sub with a big amp to go Boom Boom Boom.

Standard audio is extremely lacking in the X in my opinion. I was quoted 650 for a very tight, high end under seat sub from a good shop. They just installed a pair on a Model X (both front seats). I also plan on adding my Alpine amp if there is room to help the weak sound out as the front speakers are quite weak. I did have a Model X upgraded loaner for a while and it was still in need of improvement. Definitely glad I saved the expense of the upgrade.
Anyone know where the anemic amp is?

I have not heard of putting the sub under the seat. I'll search on this.
A local shop that I called last week said they are installing two 10s in the trunk well and putting a false floor over it.
I have added subs in the trunk to previous cars and have found that I missed the space that I lost in the trunk. There are many options for subs under the seats and the Model X has loads of room under the seats. Also the sub wouldn't need to be as powerful as it is bolted to the floor right underneath you.

I have added subs in the trunk to previous cars and have found that I missed the space that I lost in the trunk. There are many options for subs under the seats and the Model X has loads of room under the seats. Also the sub wouldn't need to be as powerful as it is bolted to the floor right underneath you.
FYI: there are vents under the driver/passenger seats. Be careful that you don't block that air flow, since it may also heat up your amp unnecessarily.

Standard audio is extremely lacking in the X in my opinion. I was quoted 650 for a very tight, high end under seat sub from a good shop. They just installed a pair on a Model X (both front seats). I also plan on adding my Alpine amp if there is room to help the weak sound out as the front speakers are quite weak. I did have a Model X upgraded loaner for a while and it was still in need of improvement. Definitely glad I saved the expense of the upgrade.
Anyone know where the anemic amp is?

Would love to see some pictures l, I’m thinking about doing the same...

Thanks for the update. Let us know how it sounds. I'm planning on a single JL Audio 12 W6 with a 600w amp in the back. Did you consider doing speakers as well?

The SL1's are no comparison to the W6 haha. I did consider doing the speakers but I figured let me add the subs first and see if I should do the speakers. I'd like to put in a bigger sub but I just don't have the space with me transporting 3 kids at times.

image.jpg
image.jpg
I had mine installed about 2 weeks ago. Fit perfectly under the seats. Give me enough ads for my taste, the install tech was impressed with the production. He originally though they wouldn’t produce enough bass. It’s no comparison to a JL Audio W6, but the fact that I could feel some bass with literally no cargo loss is perfect for me now at the age of 32 with 3 kids lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 239
Reactions: P85_DA and ebfio
View attachment 314763 View attachment 314764 I had mine installed about 2 weeks ago. Fit perfectly under the seats. Give me enough ads for my taste, the install tech was impressed with the production. He originally though they wouldn’t produce enough bass. It’s no comparison to a JL Audio W6, but the fact that I could feel some bass with literally no cargo loss is perfect for me now at the age of 32 with 3 kids lol
What did you end up paying for this setup? A local installer quoted me 740 for the same setup