Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket subwoofer HELP PLease!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the Model Y Performance 2022, just installed an aftermarket sound system JL RD 500/1, with 2 8in Subs. Listened while the car is parked for less than 1 minute, the 12V battery was drained and gave message low voltage energy remaining: 25%, electrical system is unable to support all features, and electrical system power reduced. Came back 30 minutes later, the cars battery is dead. Unable to open doors or anything.

The car audio said they were going to fix it. They also said that i am not suppose to park and listen to music and that i have to drive it in order for it to charge. Is this true?

Is this true?
No.

The cause is because it's a Tesla.

It doesn't like third party devices including 12V after market Lithium battery and it writes its software to make sure you get the message. It does not matter whether you drive your car or park your car.

Most likely your device is not using allowable outlets like cigarette outlet and USB outlet.

If your devices use those outlets then you are safe to blast your music 24/7 while parking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lots to unpack here. Your car will be ok.

My preference is tapping into the penthouse for power vs 12V (or 15V) battery. Sounds like you drained the lithium ion battery and the vehicle is not happy.

There are ways to ‘jump start’ the vehicle, then do a full shutdown. Then charge the 15v battery and finally start the car back up. Look up jumping the car then full shutdown. I would unhook your amp from the 15V battery until you get this sorted.

Upvote 0
Lots to unpack here. Your car will be ok.

My preference is tapping into the penthouse for power vs 12V (or 15V) battery. Sounds like you drained the lithium ion battery and the vehicle is not happy.

There are ways to ‘jump start’ the vehicle, then do a full shutdown. Then charge the 15v battery and finally start the car back up. Look up jumping the car then full shutdown. I would unhook your amp from the 15V battery until you get this sorted.
They took my car back in yesterday, had it overnight, tested it. Told me to pick it up today and assured me that it was okay now. Said i needed to drive while listening to music so it charges, Drove about 45 minutes, charged my car to 85%. Drove to friend house and stayed for 2 hours. Came out same thing happen. Car is completely dead. Sigh.. I will definitely need someone else check the installation because this is definitely not it.

Reactions: BikerPeaBody
Upvote 0
I had amp/subwoofer install last week on my 2022 MYP. My installers kept it a few extra hours than normal to monitor if there was any battery drain. They ruled out no battery drain and did not need a 2nd battery. I monitored for over a week and does not appear to drain my battery. Maybe you or your car audio folks can call my installers listed in the pic below. I think they’re closed on Sun/Mon though.

Attachments

• 51A57777-B731-4BBC-BECB-9F66BA6D7521.jpeg
    51A57777-B731-4BBC-BECB-9F66BA6D7521.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 333
Upvote 0
News flash. Everyone with the new lithium battery will need a second battery. Ive learned the hard way. It's expensive but that's the only solution. Also you will need to add a switch on the remote wire on the LC2I because century mode thinks the car is still active. XS Power RSV-S6
I read here that someone was able to tap into the driver seat pressure sensor to trigger the turn-on lead. That could be a neat idea to investigate.

The loc and amp would only be on when someone was in the drivers seat. Likely the penthouse DC/DC converter would be running at the same time.

Upvote 0
I have a pretty good idea about what's going on with ur system but I have a question first. What loc (line out convertor) are u using? Post a Pic of they system if u can too? I have a 1500w Rockford but with just a 500w system you might not need to add the second battery. Just need to confirm that the loc setting arent the issue first.

Upvote 0
I have a pretty good idea about what's going on with ur system but I have a question first. What loc (line out convertor) are u using? Post a Pic of they system if u can too? I have a 1500w Rockford but with just a 500w system you might not need to add the second battery. Just need to confirm that the loc setting arent the issue first.
The issue is that once the lithium battery senses a draw in power it will send the car into shutdown mode. I had to have my car towed from my driveway to Tesla had to reset it Luckily they didn't try to say my warrantee was voided due to me messing with the connection. I used the LC2I Pro as my LIC Amazon.com. I know this battery is expensive but now I have peace of mind. No issues since installed. RSV-S6 - JEGS High Performance

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oops. Sorry I tagged the guy I learned from @

sean48238. LOL​

I believe I was the first one to post the battery solution on this forum. This issues is different the Amp isn't shutting the car down upon charging the capacitor in initial startup, it's draining the battery over a period of time. 4-500 watt Amp may work off the factory battery. I think the loc may be keeping the Amp turned on even when the car is off, in turn draining the battery and causing the car to shut down. The loc need to be set to audio turn on and not dcoffset/signal sence/GTO. ONLY USE AUDIO TURN ON. The only LOC that I have found to be completely reliable is the lc2i pro. I have tested a few other and they don't work correctly. I've even talked to the engineers at another big company so they could create a new product to resolve this issue in there product line.

Not to get to far into the weed but all Tesla/ev will constantly trigger DC offset when charging, sentry mode, using the app and overheat protection. Ev constant think and protect the HV battery also. These will all trigger DC offset turn on tech.

Reactions: MYFred
Upvote 0
In addition to using Audio as a turn on for the LOC, a few of us have also wired a manual switch between the LOC and amp to physically disconnect the current and turn off when not in the vehicle. I am not worried about the 1 amp running the LOC.
Spot on here...I installed a LC1i here and run power from penthouse from under right middle seat in MY 7 seater. Audio turns on amp. No audio = AMP is off. I have had zero battery issues and run at 600Wx1 at 1 ohm (soundstream RSM1.2000) to a Kicker L7T 10" sub in ported box.

Reactions: C-Bus Y
Upvote 1
Spot on here...I installed a LC1i here and run power from penthouse from under right middle seat in MY 7 seater. Audio turns on amp. No audio = AMP is off. I have had zero battery issues and run at 600Wx1 at 1 ohm (soundstream RSM1.2000) to a Kicker L7T 10" sub in ported box.
Bet the ported box sounds good. My sealed box sounds nice but does not hit as low as a ported box can go. Wanted to preserve the lower trunk portion in my car for storage.

Upvote 0
Bet the ported box sounds good. My sealed box sounds nice but does not hit as low as a ported box can go. Wanted to preserve the lower trunk portion in my car for storage.
Super happy. It was the first ported box Ive ever had so was a little nervous. But that went away within 5 seconds of music. Have to turn it down a little at times and now is making me wonder about after market speakers for doors and such to clean up the sound.

• Funny
Reactions: C-Bus Y
Upvote 0

I had a JL Audio 10w6 Sub and a 600w JL Audio Amp (cant remember the model right now) in my old 21 MYP. I plan on putting in the new 23 MYP coming in a few weeks. I believe they did install a LC1i or an equivalent as when I played music, it was take a half second or so for the amp to kick the bass on. I have it in my shed and will update this after I look tomorrow.

Hoping its an easy install and no need for another battery. Whats the pro's thoughts? This stuff is out of my pay grade. HAHA

See my old sub and amp below on a vid I did a while back.

Upvote 0
I had a JL Audio 10w6 Sub and a 600w JL Audio Amp (cant remember the model right now) in my old 21 MYP. I plan on putting in the new 23 MYP coming in a few weeks. I believe they did install a LC1i or an equivalent as when I played music, it was take a half second or so for the amp to kick the bass on. I have it in my shed and will update this after I look tomorrow.

Hoping its an easy install and no need for another battery. Whats the pro's thoughts? This stuff is out of my pay grade. HAHA

See my old sub and amp below on a vid I did a while back.

Those rims look amazing on your matte grey.

• Love
Reactions: JaeTheDev
Upvote 0