Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Subwoofer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed a 10" NVX sub and amp kit in my S. Seems pretty good for the size of amp and speaker. I have been been listening to some rap and tool, hits pretty good! I will be writing a review on teslarati.com in a week or so. Check it out!
I also have the premium sound

Oh, I will be 40 in a month
:wink:

Look forward to your review. Please let us know how it complements the stock sub. Does the NVX use a Class D amp?

I do like the UHF sound, especially with hi-res music. Streaming Slacker, not so bad. XM, well that's another discussion....

marty

I watched both videos of the NVX install - holy crap! I thought i could handle it, but after watching the second one for the D models (mine will be) I'm not so sure.

I got out of my test ride MS with the UHF and got into my Volt with the Bose system, and I've got to say, the Volt's Bose system sounded way better - on all ends of the spectrum - lows, mids, highs, and had a much better balance of sound through the vehicle (not just from the front like MS).

Zex, please be sure to cover whether you had the install done or did it yourself. I once thought I was pretty good at this stuff, but I'm second guessing my abilities after the videos . . . then again, I am not sure I would trust an installer either to not damage any of the interior panels or rubber seals/gaskets around the door and trunk seals!

I did it myself, definitely the most 'complex' sub install but really was pretty easy. I did drill through the firewall under the ac filter but I have an early p and could have done the center behind frunk area too. With the upgraded sound I think you could tap the sub out but I used the front left and (I am pretty sure) the rear right signal so now using the surround actually makes the bass much better.
I had the (750w) amp up to 100% with no distortion at vol7 and bass up to 4.5-6. Hits down to at least 23 hz where factory 8"s stop short of 30hz.still need to do proper testing and tuning the amp + get to a quiet place with test tones, it can push a bit more but sounds good so far. I had a 12" punch in my rav4 and a L7 kicker in an integra/ Jetta before. Seems pretty close to what the square sub did.

I have uhf and was thinking of the nvx on top of that. I heard one from another car. It seems To hit harder but not really deeper. Prob need a bigger sub for that.

Does anyone with uhf/premium and nvx feel its much deeper sound?

I have uhf and was thinking of the nvx on top of that. I heard one from another car. It seems To hit harder but not really deeper. Prob need a bigger sub for that.

Does anyone with uhf/premium and nvx feel its much deeper sound?

It is quite a bit deeper. There are some rap songs that I haven't really listened to in locations other than my car and with the 10" there are plenty of notes that you wouldn't even know are there without it.
I will mess around later today when I am charging at the LV SC and give a quick update but will do a full install and sound review a bit later.
Any specific music/song any one wants a comment on?

It is quite a bit deeper. There are some rap songs that I haven't really listened to in locations other than my car and with the 10" there are plenty of notes that you wouldn't even know are there without it.
I will mess around later today when I am charging at the LV SC and give a quick update but will do a full install and sound review a bit later.
Any specific music/song any one wants a comment on?

Faint by Linkin Park has both the rock components but also some really cool, low bass elements in it also. I think that would be a good one to listen to both. I'm not into the rap, but my son is digging the old 90s electronic stuff like New Order and I'm still enjoying the grunge of my day. Funny listening to those old songs with your son, the ones you listened to when you were his age!

I was listening to some old Alice in chains earlier. Will check out faint when we drive back to the Couture show later.

I also was planning on trying a few other boxes if I can get one of the local stereo shops to let me compare some. I'd imagine they will if I take the owner or whoever on a ride.
Several months ago I stopped by to ask about a sub install and they didn't want to do Evs. They should be interested to see how easy a Tesla is.

What!? That's discrimination! Really that is bizarre.

I think they may have done a prius and then there was some issue after and the toyo dealer was blaming the aftermarket stereo stuff. Car owner came back bitching at them so they just stay away from it. Really no reason for this. As long as the cars are running power shouldn't be an issue.
I tapped into unused acc fuse so the contactors need to be closed for amp power

I only have found the dub version of 'faint' on slacker. hits pretty good but I was playing it with others in the car and one was opposed to listening to linkin park ;>
I am about to run out towards the beach and do proper testing now that I am home. Will be trying to see if a local shop will let me hook up some other boxes to compare just the sub/box to other brands (probably in a day or two since most stuff is closed on Sunday)

one thing I noticed was that while playing low frequency sine waves 20-25 hz the 8" speakers are all moving but there is no real audible sound. The 10" makes the whole car vibrate if the trunk is closed