Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Suspension with OEM Height and Softer Ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've recently ordered the MPP Comfort Adjustable Coilovers for my Aug 2018 Model 3 Performance with PUP. I live in Bay Area/South Bay so willing to go for a drive to compare ride quality with anyone with the Redwood setup (@buddhra ) after I get my MPP Coilovers shipped to me (backordered). I plan on setting it up to the least amount of lowering and tuned for highest comfort.

Last edited:
I've recently ordered the MPP Comfort Adjustable Coilovers for my Aug 2018 Model 3 Performance with PUP. I live in Bay Area/South Bay so willing to go for a drive to compare ride quality with anyone with the Redwood setup (@buddhra ) after I get my MPP Coilovers shipped to me (backordered). I plan on setting it up to the least amount of lowering and tuned for highest comfort.

It's a date!

Doing more research and I found this awesome video posted on the KW website for their V3 coilovers (similar adjustable coilovers to MPP although I'm not sure how much MPP modifies the KW Coilovers for theirs). The best part of the video is that it shows a direct comparison from unmodified to modified Model 3 with coilovers. Although it doesn't go into great detail on NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) or ride quality, it shows another aspect of going to quality coilovers in general (any reputable brand) which is better handling and safety, especially stopping distance! I think it so cool that more aftermarket companies are targeting Model 3's. Gives us consumers more options!

Last edited:
After much reading, I'm still not convinced on which aftermarket suspension option will best meet my desired results of OEM height (or slightly less) and a smoother ride on my RWD Model 3. I don't care about the track. I'm looking for luxury grand touring car here or as close as I can get.

Here are my options and the pros and cons as I understand them:

1) Unplugged Performance Coilovers - Coilover Suspension Kit For Tesla Model 3 by Unplugged Performance
Pros: Independent height and spring preload adjustment
Rebound damping adjustment​
Cons: No compression damping adjustment
$2295 + installation
2) Mountain Pass Performance Sports Coilovers - MPP Model 3 Sports Coilovers RWD
Pros: Compression damping adjustment
Rebound damping adjustment​
Cons: Height and spring preload adjustment are not independent (more height=stiffer springs)
$2350 + installation
3) Mountain Pass Performance Comfort Coilovers - MPP Model 3 Comfort Coilovers RWD
Pros: $1620 + installation
Cons: Height and spring preload adjustment are not independent (more height=stiffer springs)
No compression adjustment
No rebound adjustment
Stated goal is "lower your Model 3 without reducing the ride comfort", not added comfort​

I'm leaning towards the Unplugged Performance Coilovers because they're the only option with independent height adjustment and I'm not interested in lowering my car. I've also ridden in a P3D with this setup and I was impressed, but people really talk up the MPP options as well, which I don't understand really when they don't have independent height and preload adjustment, so I wonder if I'm missing something.

So with my goals in mind, does anyone have anything to add? Has anyone with similar goals to mine found their perfect solution?

I’m a former employee. If you alter the suspension that will void that part of your warranty. It gives Tesla the excuse to not rectify noise concerns or known issues. FYI: the upper control arms on M3 are a known issue. The bushings get hammered and cause noise and drive ability concerns. Tesla will NOT warranty those parts if you alter the suspension.

The cars are sooooo heavy...that suspension parts do NOT last as long as they do on other cars. I’ve see. M3’s with as little as 3000 miles require new upper control arms. We would get M3’s in eeeeeeeevry day with this issue.
Has there been any part revisions for the control arms? This seems to be an inevitable failure point on every car and even after being replaced it seems like people are needing them every 25k-30k miles from what I’ve read

I’m a former employee. If you alter the suspension that will void that part of your warranty. It gives Tesla the excuse to not rectify noise concerns or known issues. FYI: the upper control arms on M3 are a known issue. The bushings get hammered and cause noise and drive ability concerns. Tesla will NOT warranty those parts if you alter the suspension.
I get your point. However, that's not a big deal at all if you keep the original dampers; at least until the warranty period is up. After warranty is up I would prefer to get MPPs upper control arms as I suspect they will match the quality of their adjustable comfort coilovers and camber/toe arms I purchased from them. There is no comparison in the quality.

Doing more research and I found this awesome video posted on the KW website for their V3 coilovers (similar adjustable coilovers to MPP although I'm not sure how much MPP modifies the KW Coilovers for theirs). The best part of the video is that it shows a direct comparison from unmodified to modified Model 3 with coilovers. Although it doesn't go into great detail on NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) or ride quality, it shows another aspect of going to quality coilovers in general (any reputable brand) which is better handling and safety, especially stopping distance! I think it so cool that more aftermarket companies are targeting Model 3's. Gives us consumers more options!

That's awesome Tim. I just got 3 sets of these KW V3's at the shop and was about to dyno them at a friend's shop to get some data. Hoping to do the same with the other ones on the market.

I've had the Redwood RWD Touring Öhlins installed for the past 3 weeks. My main goal was to tame the M3's thud sound when hitting significant bumps, and I'm happy to report the Redwoods are much, much better when you hit a bump. Both front and rear are adjusted to the softer end on my car. The handling is also better. There is a mild chafe-like noise I'm hearing in the first couple minutes of driving, but it goes away. Doesn't bother me at all but I'm going to ask Heath about it just in case.

I don't think suspension did anything for tire noise, but extra weather sealing around the doors, pillars, frunk, and trunk did make a significant difference for that. The suspension + weather seal combo has made a big improvement for me. I'm just sensitive to noise in general. Damaged ears, music listener, etc.

I've had the Redwood RWD Touring Öhlins installed for the past 3 weeks. My main goal was to tame the M3's thud sound when hitting significant bumps, and I'm happy to report the Redwoods are much, much better when you hit a bump. Both front and rear are adjusted to the softer end on my car. The handling is also better. There is a mild chafe-like noise I'm hearing in the first couple minutes of driving, but it goes away. Doesn't bother me at all but I'm going to ask Heath about it just in case.

I don't think suspension did anything for tire noise, but extra weather sealing around the doors, pillars, frunk, and trunk did make a significant difference for that. The suspension + weather seal combo has made a big improvement for me. I'm just sensitive to noise in general. Damaged ears, music listener, etc.

Which weather seal kit did you go with? I was gonna do my own but maybe you have some suggestions. I really want to cut down on the air noise.

What a mobile tech told me when i asked him about aftermarket suspension is that Tesla will tell you to reinstall the original hardware then if its still doing whatever you brought it in for fix it. Or put the original stuff back in then bring it in.

Any truth to that?

They will start creaking loudly when moving the wheel or going over bumps

For a period of a few months I heard loud creaking when steering while stationary and then it went away. I thought it might be the flimsy thin plastic shims at the top of MPP Sport springs not working but it may have started right before I put them, I can't trust my memory after months passed. The creaking went away after a few month and now I don't know if I should worry. My steering feels absolutely fine.