Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also getting a black screen that started yesterday on my Ownice. Though it started after I was fiddling with casting to the screen. Wonder if it's the same issue though I don't recall updating my Tesla (in fact yesterday on way to airport I was getting an "update available" notification - and as a result couldn't try and reset the Ownice since there was no wifi icon on the tesla that ever showed up, just the red down arrow indicating it was waiting for wifi to download the Tesla updated software).

How do you update the Ownice to new firmware if you are getting a black screen?

Also getting a black screen that started yesterday on my Ownice. Though it started after I was fiddling with casting to the screen. Wonder if it's the same issue though I don't recall updating my Tesla (in fact yesterday on way to airport I was getting an "update available" notification - and as a result couldn't try and reset the Ownice since there was no wifi icon on the tesla that ever showed up, just the red down arrow indicating it was waiting for wifi to download the Tesla updated software).

How do you update the Ownice to new firmware if you are getting a black screen?

To update the Ownice firmware - once the Ownice connects to your phone CarPlay you use your phone web browser with web address 3.3.3.3 to access the web page that allows you to update the Ownice - but the new firmware that came out today does not resolve the blank screen problem caused by the latest Tesla Software update.

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
So I did the update for the Ownice and now it won’t transmit a Wi-Fi network that the iPhone or car recognizes. When I first went into settings it had defaulted to “China” as the region so I set it to “US” and now it won’t connect at all so I can’t change the settings. Bluetooth connects ok but it won’t handoff to Wi-Fi.

I’m looking for a reset hole but not 100% sure there is a way to factory reset the device without a connection … but there must be a way surely?

My experience plus the black screen with FSD others are reporting are making me wonder whether CarPlay is worth it. Should I just suck it up and learn to live with Tesla navigation and media?

So I did the update for the Ownice and now it won’t transmit a Wi-Fi network that the iPhone or car recognizes. When I first went into settings it had defaulted to “China” as the region so I set it to “US” and now it won’t connect at all so I can’t change the settings. Bluetooth connects ok but it won’t handoff to Wi-Fi.

I’m looking for a reset hole but not 100% sure there is a way to factory reset the device without a connection … but there must be a way surely?

My experience plus the black screen with FSD others are reporting are making me wonder whether CarPlay is worth it. Should I just suck it up and learn to live with Tesla navigation and media?

I did not had this problem after the update today. The Ownice still connects to the iPhone through CarPlay and I can still see the 3.3.3.3 web page for updates (I also changed the WiFi settings from "China" to the "US"). The main problem is that after the Tesla Software Upgrade I got a blank screen as discussed on the previous posts, so no fun until Ownice and T2C fixes this problem.

As a first post I just wanted to chime in and say I appreciate all the effort many of you are making to share information. I'm still waiting on my Model Y to show up but have already ordered the Ownice T3. Slightly concerned now as I read some of the new issues cropping up. But hopefully future firmware fixes will rectify the stability/black screen issues others are facing. I'll be sure to provide whatever data points I can once I have everything setup.

I have been using Ownice T3 unit and lI prefer it over CarliniKit T2C. Not only I don't have to run Personal Hotspot, but it is al lot more stable compared to two different CarliniKit units that I eventually returned..
I have basic AP, 2023.12.9

Yes. Mine now only shows a black screen. I’m on 11.4.2, 2023.7.10. I saw a screen when I tried to log in using an iPad as if it were Tesla with the CarLinKit t2c powered in my house and the iPad on the AutoKit_XXXX Wi-Fi “waiting for connection” that says something about Tesla software no longer allowing images and them offering a CarLinKit downgrade that would fix this and that they are working on a software update for the CarLinKit that would also fix. I can’t get it to work since the Tesla upgrade. I guess I’ll wait for CarLinKit to issue new firmware. I hope it comes quickly. I miss using CarPlay for Waze, and for seeing red and yellow and blue road conditions since I don’t pay for premium connectivity on the Tesla. Otherwise it’s not a big deal. But I have had lots of glitches with the box and regularly have to start from scratch with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi settings. I haven’t found a way that the CarLinKit stays reliable.