Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket tow hitch

Tedkidd

Kudos to you! Looks like you did a great job. At the same time, I am SOOOoooo glad I made sure I ordered the hitch. Either that or farmed it out to the service center so they "own" any issues. I just don't have a lot of free time for these types of projects anymore.
Looks like I'm going to do a repeat on my 3 as the local hitch place can't get the hitch from their supplier for 2 months, and is shorthanded through the busy season til fall so they can only install what they sell until then - which seems perfectly reasonable.

Tedkidd

Looks great @Tedkidd
That bike looks pretty close to the bumper, especially that pedal.
Is that the double D rack?
It seems close to the bumper to me too.
The flats are much larger than the clipless I use in summer, and my GF uses the flats now that she's e-biking and doesn't need the added power of clipless.
The flats cause the cranks to spin in the wind above 60mph, and can also hit the other bike if positioned wrong.
So I "zip tie" them to the chainstay with an old toe strap so they stay put.

rypalmer

Aug 22, 2014
Canada
I went aftermarket for a Model S hitch in 2016 (no OEM option available), and that hitch later had a known issue of galvanic corrosion that was was addressed by EcoHitch, but not before causing corrosion to many cars (not mine, as far as I know). Given the chance, I would stick to the factory installed option for an important accessory such as this. It's not the place to cut corners.

Tedkidd

I went aftermarket for a Model S hitch in 2016 (no OEM option available), and that hitch later had a known issue of galvanic corrosion that was was addressed by EcoHitch, but not before causing corrosion to many cars (not mine, as far as I know). Given the chance, I would stick to the factory installed option for an important accessory such as this. It's not the place to cut corners.
I believe that is what the washers are for.
Also, I think that may have had something to do with the S being aluminum rather than steel.

DayTrippin

Apr 30, 2021
Jax
Definitely glad I went with the factory package but that little cover is a biatch to get off. I'll have to find the old threads I read about modifying it to make it easier to remove. I wish the inside door panels were stuck that well.

tdeno

White | Gemini | 5 White Seat | Tow Hitch
May 14, 2021
Northwest Indiana
Definitely glad I went with the factory package but that little cover is a biatch to get off. I'll have to find the old threads I read about modifying it to make it easier to remove. I wish the inside door panels were stuck that well.
I have been watching this thread, and hope that @Pkotz will sell the "Pop Hitch"

zpaul

Apr 23, 2021
Maryland
Unless you install aftermarket hitch yourself for pure cost saving it doesn’t make sense getting anything but Tesla hitch.
Tesla comes with all wiring and functionality included for your screen.
I installed those hitches on my other cars but after doing some research and reading I would get it from Tesla.

tdeno

White | Gemini | 5 White Seat | Tow Hitch
May 14, 2021
Northwest Indiana
Unless you install aftermarket hitch yourself for pure cost saving it doesn’t make sense getting anything but Tesla hitch.
Tesla comes with all wiring and functionality included for your screen.
I installed those hitches on my other cars but after doing some research and reading I would get it from Tesla.
Good point - the OEM (at time of purchase or after purchase) will include all parts/wires/software. However, if you are only planning to use a bike rack or other none 'towing' items then aftermarket with self-install could have a bit of a cost-saving.

Side note --- I have seen in other treads comments about 'add-on' and why spend 50-70K on a car then, they trying to 'save' on items like this -- but to each is their own :)

zpaul

Apr 23, 2021
Maryland
Good point - the OEM (at time of purchase or after purchase) will include all parts/wires/software. However, if you are only planning to use a bike rack or other none 'towing' items then aftermarket with self-install could have a bit of a cost-saving.
With Tesla hitch you will be able to go in trailer mode and disable nagging that something is behind your car.
With aftermarket hitch that is not an option.
So my view on this:
- Install $350 aftermarket hitch yourself $650-850 savings and some discomfort with software, missing wiring, but it is perfect for occasional bike use
- Professional install $350 for hitch + $300 labor cuts your savings to $350-550.

On a $55K car I would trade these $350-550 savings for wiring and Tesla software functionality in a hart beat.

Note: I add extra $200 if you are getting Tesla hitch after your purchase.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC