Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket tow hitch

a2t2

Jul 8, 2021
Atlanta
So you don't think the OEM Tesla hitch is specifically designed to replace the crash bar?
Not any more so than the drawtite version. Heres the tesla hitch, tell me whats different than the drawtite ??

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Reactions: FSD_Scribe

DayTrippin

Apr 30, 2021
Jax
The main reason I went with the factory bar was their will be no warranty issues and the integration with the system itself. Considering how picky Tesla is about warranty claims, I'd rather not give them any other reasons to deny a claim, no matter how specious their logic might be on it. The integration with the car itself and having the MY activate the towing mode was important, more from a liability perspective. It reduces the temptation to use AP while towing. It clearly isn't designed for towing and it would be my luck, it would do something stupid while towing and create a big mess. Also who knows if down the road they might not actually do something more worthwhile with the software to actually aid when towing. From what I understand, if I don't have the factory hitch, they won't enable the tow mode.

I don't like to throw money away but saving less than about $700 (I bought it with the car) was a no brainer for me. Not to mention, if it is from the factory, my insurance covers it. If an add-on, then I have to have a separate rider to cover any accessories. Even if I had to do it over again, and my car didn't go come with a hitch, I'd still go with the factory one. When I already have 60k in the car, another grand for the peace of mind is well worth it. My wife is an attorney and they are taught all kinds of creative ways to make sure they have an edge in litigation. Having a complete factory system is once less attack vector so to speak if it ever came to it. That is another reason we bought the MY to go with the MS. Towing with the MS would have opened up even more potential issues (at least in the USA). YMMV of course. I'll pay the small Tesla tax on this one and call it a day.

DanDi58

Jun 22, 2020
Dayton NJ
The main reason I went with the factory bar was their will be no warranty issues and the integration with the system itself. Considering how picky Tesla is about warranty claims, I'd rather not give them any other reasons to deny a claim, no matter how specious their logic might be on it. The integration with the car itself and having the MY activate the towing mode was important, more from a liability perspective. It reduces the temptation to use AP while towing. It clearly isn't designed for towing and it would be my luck, it would do something stupid while towing and create a big mess. Also who knows if down the road they might not actually do something more worthwhile with the software to actually aid when towing. From what I understand, if I don't have the factory hitch, they won't enable the tow mode.

I don't like to throw money away but saving less than about $700 (I bought it with the car) was a no brainer for me. Not to mention, if it is from the factory, my insurance covers it. If an add-on, then I have to have a separate rider to cover any accessories. Even if I had to do it over again, and my car didn't go come with a hitch, I'd still go with the factory one. When I already have 60k in the car, another grand for the peace of mind is well worth it. My wife is an attorney and they are taught all kinds of creative ways to make sure they have an edge in litigation. Having a complete factory system is once less attack vector so to speak if it ever came to it. That is another reason we bought the MY to go with the MS. Towing with the MS would have opened up even more potential issues (at least in the USA). YMMV of course. I'll pay the small Tesla tax on this one and call it a day.
💯

DanDi58

Jun 22, 2020
Dayton NJ
Not any more so than the drawtite version. Heres the tesla hitch, tell me whats different than the drawtite ??
Don't know, I'm not an automotive engineer. But you can do whatever you want with your car. I went with what I felt was the safest, most complete option. It's costing me $16/month.

Reactions: tdeno

a2t2

Jul 8, 2021
Atlanta
Sounds good, multiple decent options on this. i wanted my post in there for future reference as there is alot of people looking for aftermarket options and all the info is scattered/incomplete.

LNVT

Sep 20, 2021
Central Vermont
My Model 3 should be delivered this week (he said hopefully). Does anyone have up-to-date info on which aftermarket hitch will fit it? Stealth?
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
My Model 3 should be delivered this week (he said hopefully). Does anyone have up-to-date info on which aftermarket hitch will fit it? Stealth?
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

(moderator note) I realize this thread was moved to model Y by mistake. I asked a mod for this section to move it back to model 3 subforum.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC