Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Towing Options.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about taking the plunge and upgrading to Model X. Currently have the Model S 85 I've had for the last three years. One of my main wants is the option to tow. Looking to get jet ski's and tow to the beach for the family and need to be able to tow. I have a 10 year old MB GL 450 that I could get one of those UHual tow hitches put on but I really want to be able to use the X. I've got my eye some of the demo models listed on the Tesla website but the ones I like don't have the tow hitch listed. So are there any options out there yet to tow or coming down the pipeline? Also is it possible the towing option just isn't listed on the website, some are fully optioned out so finding it difficult to believe they wouldn't add the tow hitch?

• Helpful
Reactions: Jurnimon
According to Tesla, you cannot add a towing package after manufacturing. Aftermarket options will not have the proper wiring, and will not use the X's tow mode.

I was also looking at demo models, and the absence of the towing package is what made me order one custom.

According to Tesla, you cannot add a towing package after manufacturing. Aftermarket options will not have the proper wiring, and will not use the X's tow mode.

I was also looking at demo models, and the absence of the towing package is what made me order one custom.

Yeah, hoping to not go that route since it wouldn't be ready by the end of the year.

Do the ones your looking at have the accessory hitch? If so look at the "can I tow" thread

Add link: Can I Tow?

Thanks. It was good reading those threads. Looks like one person is stating that all the X's are coming with the hardware now. The question is can the software be activated by paying for it. I've contacted local dealer to look up the VIN's for me to determine if some cars have the tow hitch and just not listed.