TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Aftermarket TPMS Sensor?

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by Fabrizio, May 4, 2014.

1. Fabrizio

Fabrizio Member

2. EVsport

EVsport Member

Yep, same ones I ordered. Most cars can be programed by doing a few tricks with ACC on and off, touching your nose and rubbing your head, but Tesla made it so you must use a service center to program them to the car.

3. Fabrizio

Fabrizio Member

At one time Tesla offered a TPMS programming tool on the Tesla store site, along with adapters that would allow a 4 post lift to raise the Roadster safely. Alas, there are a lot of Roadster items sold out now.

4. jbadger

jbadger Roadster #506

#4 jbadger, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
    Wow, that could have saved me a lot. I think I spent about $800 for all four tires at Tesla...

I got an email from Dietschwerks saying there was an upgraded TPMS kit, $320 for four plus half an hour labor. Much better than the $800 I was quoted from Tesla two months ago.

5. jordanthompson

jordanthompson 2010 2.0 Sport, VIN 0683

#5 jordanthompson, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    So I bought these last year and have yet to get them to work. I tried "waking" them up by letting most of the air out of the tires, then filling them and immediately selecting new tires in the menu. Tesla tried resetting them with the TPMS reset tool, letting the air out of them, touching their nose and rubbing their head... still no joy.:mad:
    The good news out of this is that OE Wheels has amazing customer service and John is trying incredibly hard to figure it out (bear in mind that I bought these sensors nearly a year - to the day - ago!)

6. jordanthompson

#6 jordanthompson, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    After much back and for (between OE Wheels and the manufacturer) OE Wheels was told (by the TPMS vendor) that after VIN #500, Tesla went with another vendor:
    Shanghai Baolong
    Their OEM part number is 6004985

OE Wheels was incredibly helpful - to the point they spent the time doing the research and has refunded my total purchase from a year ago because they felt it was their mistake! I pointed out that the part numbers were identical to the ones I took out of the car but they stood by their decision(!!!!) Unfortunately they don't carry the new brand but they suggested eBay.

Having said that, I don't think I am going to go through the headache of dealing with this again. I am just going to hit the over-ride button when it comes on (like I have been doing for over a year now.)

More info.... I eBay'ed the partnumber (6004985) and found that OE Wheels sells them(!?) I have a call into them to see what is going on.... I called them and they said they are going to correct this eBay listing as it mistakenly shows the sensors working for all Roadsters. Back to the backup plan, which is to ignore the sensor warnings.

7. jordanthompson

Someone posted this aftermarket TPMS SYSTEM on the Model S boards. I just bought the FOBO system and will post when I get it and install it. Now if we could only disable the d*mned on-board system!