Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to purchase aftermarket wheels. Is the Model 3 TPMS sensor compatible to be used? If not, how do I know if an aftermarket TPMS will work with the Model Y? Please provide any insight if you've gone through this process. Thank you very much!

From what I hear from TSportline, the model Y is using a new TMPS system, so it would not be compatible with Model 3 TMPS, and presumably the parts are not available yet from Tesla, which is why you cannot currently get aftermarket wheels and tires with TMPS for Model Y. Seems we have to either wait, or be prepared to transfer the TMPS from the wheels that came with the vehicle to your new setup.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
From what I hear from TSportline, the model Y is using a new TMPS system, so it would not be compatible with Model 3 TMPS, and presumably the parts are not available yet from Tesla, which is why you cannot currently get aftermarket wheels and tires with TMPS for Model Y. Seems we have to either wait, or be prepared to transfer the TMPS from the wheels that came with the vehicle to your new setup.

Thanks Xray for the response. I was thinking that and you confirmed it. Maybe someone will be able to program one in the near future. Until then we'll just enjoy the tires and rims that we have.

Maybe someone will be able to program one in the near future.

It won't be as simple as just programming them. The Model Y uses Tesla made Bluetooth sensors. (The Model 3 used Continental sensors.)

So entirely different frequencies. It will probably be a while before there are third party TPMS sensors for the Model Y. Has anyone checked with Tesla to see how expensive the sensors are from them? (I'm hoping that part of switching to an internally designed TPMS means it will be reasonably priced.)

Reactions: RoBoRaT
We might have a breakthrough ladies and gents.

Since none of the Tesla Service Centers that we have contacted are selling or willing to order the OE BLE TPMS sensors (presumably $75 each), I have resorted to the below aftermarket sensors - at least for the time being until Tesla sells them to us.

I am working on a 20" wheel/tire set to replace the 21" Überturbines and I need a set of Bluetooth 2.4 GHz sensors.

The below are from eBay, ~$35-$45 for set of 4!
Was able to "activate" and make them emit temp/pressure/battery charge signal - seen in the App.

I will do some experimenting to see if the Y will detect them (that they work) before committing with PepBoys in mounting the tires with the sensors for $80.

Will let you know how it goes....
20200417_162545.jpg
Screenshot_20200417-212318_TPMSII.jpg

PS: I used the spray bottle pump (sensor inside) to simulate change in pressure. ;)

Attachments

• 20200417_205139.jpg
    20200417_205139.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 899
  • Screenshot_20200417-205054_TPMSII.jpg
    Screenshot_20200417-205054_TPMSII.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 439
  • 20200417_162850.jpg
    20200417_162850.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 588
Last edited:
Still need to have Tesla Bluetooth TPMS sensors. I tried aftermarket BLE sensor but the Y is not detecting them (I know they work because I can track them real time via Phone app).

This maybe fixed when we get the Wheel Configuration or TPMS Relearn function in future software updates. Or buy Tesla Bluetooth TPMS sensors, for now.

• Helpful
Reactions: cstork and Fiddler
I found plenty of Bluetooth sensors online but they are all out of China and Malaysia, so who knows if those are compatible. I’m guessing there is a screen adjustment to allow these to pair or sync up.

Fred

I found plenty of Bluetooth sensors online but they are all out of China and Malaysia, so who knows if those are compatible.

The easiest way to test that is probably to load the smartphone app for the third party sensor and see if it can detect the Tesla sensors. If it can't then it is likely that their sensors won't be detected by the Model Y.

I’m guessing there is a screen adjustment to allow these to pair or sync up.

Nothing in the screen. According to the manual it takes ~15 minutes of driving over 15 MPH and it will automatically learn the new TPMS sensors. (Assuming of course they are compatible.)

I found plenty of Bluetooth sensors online but they are all out of China and Malaysia, so who knows if those are compatible. I’m guessing there is a screen adjustment to allow these to pair or sync up.

Fred

They did not work, the same one I've tried - see my previous post above.

I suspect that they will work if, we can rename (copy the name of the OE sensors currently on our wheels), or if the Software has the Reset TPMS Sensors or Wheel Configuration function.

I have not found a way to "clone" my orig OE Tesla Sensors.

20200417_162545.jpg FullSizeR.jpg

The easiest way to test that is probably to load the smartphone app for the third party sensor and see if it can detect the Tesla sensors. If it can't then it is likely that their sensors won't be detected by the Model Y.

Nothing in the screen. According to the manual it takes ~15 minutes of driving over 15 MPH and it will automatically learn the new TPMS sensors. (Assuming of course they are compatible.)

I was thinking abouy that - to auto detect the Tesla TPMS (currently on my 21s) using the 3rd party app.

Tried all reset/reboot and excited on any software update (12.11.1 no TPMS Reset/Wheel Config) - still the aftermarket BLE sensors are not detected by the Y.

Daerik said on one if his video's that the bluetooth was proprietary versus the ones they were using for the M3 from Continental. I guess we will see when then add the wheel fitting to the MY like they added to the M3 when we get closer to winter. I have to believe everyone with the PUP package will have a winter setup. No way you can go the mountains or deal with inclement weather with the 21's and P Zero tires. Even us SoCal folks go skiing in the winter!! LOL.