Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Trailer Hitch Cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got delivery of my model Y with tow package. I plan on using a bike rack frequently and was wondering if anyone sells an aftermarket hitch cover that is easy to remove? I don’t want to damage anything or spend time when I want to load and go.

Thanks.

I got this Amazon hitch cover and while it's an improvement, the springs holding it in place are so stiff that it's still not easy. I can't shove the cover straight on, and have to angle it, suppress one of the clamps on the inside of the hitch, and then push the other side in. It is so firm I can't pull the cover back off with just my fingers. I need something with a handle, and so I insert a small nail puller in the hole, snare the cover, and yank it off. Maybe it will loosen with time?

I got this Amazon hitch cover and while it's an improvement, the springs holding it in place are so stiff that it's still not easy. I can't shove the cover straight on, and have to angle it, suppress one of the clamps on the inside of the hitch, and then push the other side in. It is so firm I can't pull the cover back off with just my fingers. I need something with a handle, and so I insert a small nail puller in the hole, snare the cover, and yank it off. Maybe it will loosen with time?

Interesting as mine doesn't have these issues. I agree it's tight, which is likely by design so it doesn't come out, but perhaps you got one that just has a tighter tension on the spring. Maybe ask the vendor, I'm sure they would send you another to try. There is a certain way it goes in like you said at an angle, but mine comes out just pulling on it with a finger.

On this Amazon hitch cover, do you actually insert your finger and pull the spring latch to remove/insert the cover? Or are you using the hole to just pull on the cover? I'm trying to decide whether to get the Etsy PopHitch ( Model Y Pop Hitch | Etsy ) or the Amazon Spring Hitch ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0986F8CZZ/ ). I like the design on the PopHitch, I'm just worried about it's price and durability since it's a 3D printered part.

On this Amazon hitch cover, do you actually insert your finger and pull the spring latch to remove/insert the cover? Or are you using the hole to just pull on the cover? I'm trying to decide whether to get the Etsy PopHitch ( Model Y Pop Hitch | Etsy ) or the Amazon Spring Hitch ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0986F8CZZ/ ). I like the design on the PopHitch, I'm just worried about it's price and durability since it's a 3D printered part.
You just stick your finger in the hole and pull it out (that sounds bad in so many ways!) :) Inserting it, you don't touch the spring part, you just kind of get it started at the right angle and it slides right in.

Reactions: mhcrowder
Just installed this one on our Y. Great fit and matches very well.

Spendy, but it's well made and should last the life of the vehicle.
I just got this too. Fits securely, spring loaded clips keep it tight. Easy enough to remove. Glad I found this thanks to comments on this forum. Purchased via Amazon.

Just installed this one on our Y. Great fit and matches very well.

Spendy, but it's well made and should last the life of the vehicle.
I've had that for a couple months. On and off many times now (also for a bike rack) and it is very easy to get on and off. The OEM, I would leave it off most of the time. OEM cover is a piece of crap design

Reactions: Mfiles