Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Trunk and Frunk Struts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed frunk struts I bought from Amazon but ended up returning them because they were simply too strong for my liking. When the frunk was open, the hood would 'automatically' open all the way, as intended, but when it reached the full up position it rocked quite a bit because of the energy left in the struts. If the 3 hood was a bit heavier or the struts were a bit worn down, it probably wouldn't be an issue. But on the whole I just didn't get the point.

I think I'll pass on the trunk struts as it is already a bit harder to close than I'd like....

At some point down the road maybe I'll get one of the electric systems. More likely I'll just leave it as-is.

the ones from abstract ocean dont jolt up the front trunk like that and that is why i chose their variant.

not all of these struts are the same, and i posted a video of what the abstract oceans looked like (its their video) in a thread with a similar title elsewhere on this forum.

the struts require more effort to close which is obvious so it's not for everyone.

the ones from abstract ocean dont jolt up the front trunk like that and that is why i chose their variant.

not all of these struts are the same, and i posted a video of what the abstract oceans looked like (its their video) in a thread with a similar title elsewhere on this forum.

the struts require more effort to close which is obvious so it's not for everyone.

Its really what I get for being cheap. I don't know why I insist on learning the hard way LOL. The other stuff I have received from Abstract Ocean is high quality...I should just stick with them. Maybe in my next order I'll try their struts.

abstract have great customer service. i chose their version over others based on the video at their website. the force to raise up the hoods was less than other videos i saw. at the end of the day they all come from china, just go with a company that has great service after the sale in case you have issues.

the OEM struts worked/work fine. the OEMs do not open the trunk all the way, which is why i went with these aftermarket options. same for the front trunk.

as I mentioned I use the rear trunk daily and i can close it with one hand now that the springs are more looser now so give it time and it will loosen up over use (i use the spoiler to close the rear trunk because i dont want my paw prints on the trunk).

Well I installed the Abstract Ocean trunk struts and found it pretty easy -- the video was really helpful....so far I am pleased with them. It is definitely harder to shut the trunk now, but not as hard as I expected based on some other comments. I would recommend them
Jason- you noted that: "It is definitely harder to shut the trunk now, .."- can you quantify that in pounds or kilograms force?
I'll probably get the Abstract Ocean struts for the rear trunk, but I want to be sure the even a child will be able close it

Last edited:
Hi Guys

I am considering upgrading in the trunk and frunk struts to enable a better opening function. I have seen a number of Youtube videos etc. I wanted to see what this group think about it and any recommended brands.

Thanks
jason
My opinion install Hansshow Power frunk and Trunk is the best option. Fully automatic option. You can operate via Touch screen,Key fob, smart phone. smart watch and foot sensor. If you are interested you can contact via whatsapp. +8615622781358