Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking at buying a used Tesla from a private party (or a non-Tesla dealership) because the prices were a bit cheaper, but I found out that the original 4 year, 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty is voided once owners are changed. Also, I couldn't find any vendor that offered an extended warranty. I think that's mainly because we don't really know what type of repairs would be needed. The 8 year, unlimited motor/battery warranty remains with the car. After finding this out, I just went with a certified pre-owned model S.

Good luck!

• Disagree
Reactions: FlatSix911
I presume the poster meant that purchasing a used car without the previous owner buying the extended warranty means you are unable to purchase it yourself as the second owner. This is common knowledge.

As far as what you presume, I presumed the same thing, but that's not what I was quoting. Not sure how you can interpret this as anything other than what it says:

but I found out that the original 4 year, 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty is voided once owners are changed

Still looking for someone with an aftermarket warranty, as the tesla warranty isn't an option.
If you really need a used Tesla with extended warranty, you best bet is tracking the CPO Teslas for a deal, like most people are doing:
http://ev-cpo.com/

I don't think you will find a worthwhile aftermarket warranty, given Tesla service right now is still a very closed system. I remember a recent thread where someone bought a "dealer CPO" where the car dealer offered their own warranty, but unsurprisingly they tried to back out of paying for fixes when it turned out the car had problems.

Unfortunately with Teslas closed repair ecosystem it might be a while before we see 3rd party warranties. I hope Carmax eventually offers them. Their extended warranties are great and you can do all the repairs at the dealer.

There is actually a small contingent of folks who buy unreliable luxury cars exclusively from Carmax because they offer a better warranty than the manufacturer. http://jalopnik.com/the-six-best-unreliable-cars-you-can-buy-from-carmax-1687770994

As far as what you presume, I presumed the same thing, but that's not what I was quoting. Not sure how you can interpret this as anything other than what it says:

I'm waiting for my CPO P85, and before putting down the deposit, I asked the sales rep if any extended warranties are offered for purchase (in case I liked one outside the CPO), and he told me that none are offered. He added that the 4 year/50k bumper to bumper warranty is voided once owners are changed. The motor/battery carries over. I can't imagine him lying about that. If he is, I will be escalating this pretty pretty high up. I'll call Tesla tomorrow and confirm.

I'm waiting for my CPO P85, and before putting down the deposit, I asked the sales rep if any extended warranties are offered for purchase (in case I liked one outside the CPO), and he told me that none are offered. He added that the 4 year/50k bumper to bumper warranty is voided once owners are changed. The motor/battery carries over. I can't imagine him lying about that. If he is, I will be escalating this pretty pretty high up. I'll call Tesla tomorrow and confirm.
Are you sure he wasn't talking about the extended warranty also in that case? There was a period where the 4 year / 50k extended warranty is voided on ownership change. However, the original warranty (assuming it was still valid), was never under this as far as I know.

Regardless of whether he's lying or is just wrong, it is simply false. Period.

I just bought a P85 from a private party. I spoke to tesla many times and never had anyone said anything about the original 4yr/50k mile warranty being affected in any way. I also had the original owner buy the ESA which is now mine. I have 5.25yrs/66k miles left on my total warranty. I've had tesla confirm this multiple times.