TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Aftermarket Wheel Fitting

Discussion in 'Canada' started by VancityTM3, Sep 22, 2019.

1. VancityTM3

VancityTM3 Member

I’m trying to determine if an old set of wheels that I had for my old vehicle would fit my 2019 TM3 for winter tires. I checked the bolt patterns and offset, and it looks like it would work. However, when I took off the tires for fitting, there is a bolt on the wheel hub that is preventing a flush fit. Anybody else had this issue? Is this bolt necessary?

I emailed the service center but have not heard back from them yet.

Attached Files:

2. pcons

pcons M3 AWD+

I dont recall seeing that on mine, but also wasn't paying attention. My guess is that's a bolt holding the rotor on the wheel, but likely not necessary since when the tire is on the tire will sandwich the rotor in place via the wheel nuts.

The stock tires have a cutaway that allows that bolt to be there. I guess your rims don't? Another crazy option is to make a recess in your wheels to account for that bolt. Strange they wouldn't have that though as typically they would remove as much material as possible to keep weight of the wheels down. It's really only necessary to make contact with the rotor near where the wheel studs are.

3. Shiraz8484

Shiraz8484 Member

I think I saw a video where they say its a bolt the factory uses for something but it can be taken out without issues. Please do try and verify though.

4. RSR.M3

RSR.M3 Member

Yes, it's just there so that the rotors doesn't rotate when they install the caliper. You don't need it. You can take it off with no issues.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. VancityTM3

VancityTM3 Member

Well, i just got an official response from the service center “I have verified with our technicians and this bolt is an integral component to the hub/disc assembly and we don’t recommend its removal.”

That bolt is going to cost me an extra $1,000!

6. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

They HAVE to say that for liability reasons. However the bolt does absolutely nothing with the wheel installed. It’s only purpose is to hold the disk in place during caliper/pad assembly. It can be reinserted during pad changes however most mechanics simply run a lug nut down one stud to the disc to temporarily secure it during brake service. Your 5 wheel studs and lug nuts clamp the wheel to the rotor to the hub.