Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Wheel Fitting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m trying to determine if an old set of wheels that I had for my old vehicle would fit my 2019 TM3 for winter tires. I checked the bolt patterns and offset, and it looks like it would work. However, when I took off the tires for fitting, there is a bolt on the wheel hub that is preventing a flush fit. Anybody else had this issue? Is this bolt necessary?

I emailed the service center but have not heard back from them yet.

Attachments

• 16DD359E-6406-4482-B756-1E0815E8AE54.jpeg
    16DD359E-6406-4482-B756-1E0815E8AE54.jpeg
    378.6 KB · Views: 116
I’m trying to determine if an old set of wheels that I had for my old vehicle would fit my 2019 TM3 for winter tires. I checked the bolt patterns and offset, and it looks like it would work. However, when I took off the tires for fitting, there is a bolt on the wheel hub that is preventing a flush fit. Anybody else had this issue? Is this bolt necessary?

I emailed the service center but have not heard back from them yet.
I dont recall seeing that on mine, but also wasn't paying attention. My guess is that's a bolt holding the rotor on the wheel, but likely not necessary since when the tire is on the tire will sandwich the rotor in place via the wheel nuts.

The stock tires have a cutaway that allows that bolt to be there. I guess your rims don't? Another crazy option is to make a recess in your wheels to account for that bolt. Strange they wouldn't have that though as typically they would remove as much material as possible to keep weight of the wheels down. It's really only necessary to make contact with the rotor near where the wheel studs are.

Well, i just got an official response from the service center “I have verified with our technicians and this bolt is an integral component to the hub/disc assembly and we don’t recommend its removal.”

That bolt is going to cost me an extra $1,000!

Well, i just got an official response from the service center “I have verified with our technicians and this bolt is an integral component to the hub/disc assembly and we don’t recommend its removal.”

That bolt is going to cost me an extra $1,000!

They HAVE to say that for liability reasons. However the bolt does absolutely nothing with the wheel installed. It’s only purpose is to hold the disk in place during caliper/pad assembly. It can be reinserted during pad changes however most mechanics simply run a lug nut down one stud to the disc to temporarily secure it during brake service. Your 5 wheel studs and lug nuts clamp the wheel to the rotor to the hub.